DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

'What's Up, Chapo?' DEA Agent Talks About Capturing Mexican Kingpin For First Time

NEWS

Andrew Hogan said on "Today" that he was able to catch Joaquín Guzmán, also known as "El Chapo," "by looking at the details."

by Erik Ortiz / Apr.04.2018 / 8:40 AM ET

Mexico's top drug lord Joaquín 'El Chapo' Guzmán is escorted as he arrives at Long Island MacArthur airport in New York on Jan. 19, 2017.Reuters /
     For seven years, American federal agent Andrew Hogan was hot on the trail of one of the world's most elusive and brazen drug bosses, Joaquín Guzmán.

Agents had finally grabbed Guzmán — also known as "El Chapo," Mexican-Spanish slang for "Shorty" — in 2014 at a beach resort in Mazatlán, Mexico.

     For their first face-to-face meeting, Hogan wore a black ball cap that once belonged to Guzmán — what he called a "souvenir of the hunt." He couldn't contain his excitement in front of the reputed cartel kingpin.

     "What's up, Chapo?" were Hogan's first words to the man he had been pursuing so tirelessly.

     The former Drug Enforcement Administration agent revealed his role in tracking Guzmán in an exclusive interview Wednesday on "Today," and will share more details Sunday with NBC News' Lester Holt on "Dateline."

     Guzmán had eluded authorities for over a decade after escaping from a Mexican prison in 2001, going undetected from safe house to safe house as the Sinaloa Cartel continued trafficking billions of dollars worth of cocaine, methamphetamine and other drugs across international borders.

Ex-DEA agent recalls the moment he finally captured El Chapo
06:39
     Hogan said Guzmán was always one step ahead, but DEA agents and Homeland Security investigators finally caught up with him "by looking at the details."

     "We began intercepting members of Chapo's inner circle, and really dismantling layers within a sophisticated communications structure until we got to the top, where I had his personal secretary's device, who was standing right next to him, and I could ping that," Hogan said.

     That helped agents to determine a pattern of where Guzmán was holed up. Eventually, the clues led them to a hotel in Mazatlán, where the Mexican marines banged on the door of his room. He gave up without a fight.

     "I heard excited radio chatter: 'They got him! They got the target!'" Hogan said.

     He arrived to the scene and confronted Guzmán in the underground parking garage of the hotel, where Hogan briefly spoke to him and they locked eyes.

     But the years-long saga wasn't over. The following summer, Guzmán escaped in dramatic fashion from his maximum-security prison via a tunnel built below the shower in his cell.

     He was captured six months later with the help of informants, satellite imagery and intercepted cellphone communications.

     Guzmán was extradited to the U.S. in 2016 to stand trial on charges that he ran the world's largest drug-trafficking cartel, which is also accused of carrying out hundreds of murders. The 61-year-old remains at a federal facility in New York City, and because of past escapes, is locked up in near-isolation.

     His trial was moved from this April to September as prosecutors and defense attorneys pore over more than 300,000 pages of documents related to the sprawling case.

Hogan has kept his role in initially capturing Guzmán under wraps, until now, with the release of his book, "Hunting El Chapo."https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/what-s-chapo-dea-agent-talks-about-capturing-mexican-kingpin-n862671

     Sony Pictures won the rights to the book for a movie — a deal that Guzmán apparently wanted for himself after Mexican officials said he boasted that his life's story should be turned into a Hollywood biopic.

  PS:make sure you hit the link above as there's a Today interview with ex DEA Agent Hogan and watch Dateline Sunday for more details.............canadiana

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Oh too cool!I hope BB gets exclusive before anybody!

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

That would be awesome Chivis as I am sure a lot of us that have missed Today would like to see it!That was a little teaser in the link!

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Don't forget people tonight on NBCs Dateline interview with this DEA guy hunting down El Chapo!Im looking forward to it.

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

That was a really good show,1 of the better 1s on the subject!More new info and new photos.He said Chapo was Houdini always 1 step ahead.He had to have been to have lasted so long in the game!

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

The book is an excellent read Canadiana.  I will write the review this week sometime

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Coming from you that's  saying a lot as I'm sure you have read tons of them and can critique them.From watching the show which I'm sure you did sounds like a good read.Have you had your interview with Andrew yet or keeping us in suspense for now?He said in the show that all 5 safe houses in Culiacan had tunnels all under the bathtubs.What I find unusual is its so hard to find a bathtub in Mexico unless you are in an expats house that had it built from scratch so that alone is suspicious to me in a normal Mexican house especially when it's all males living in it.

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

leChef
That is funny, Canadiana

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Because of time restraints I am picky about the books I select to read, but yes my office has many narco books on its shelves.  I rarely purchase books these days relying on advanced copies.

About dateline, I gave it a B-.  Not the fault of Drew, but we can't expect a mainstream interviewer  to be able to go deep.

I chose to read the book first, then write the interview in conjunction with the interview.  Reading the book first is a must.

I know someone whose cousin was the contractor worked  on the Mazatlan  condo of Griselda López Pérez  . He said this a month before that near capture, so I tend to believe him. He said where and what in general).  Most ,if not all safe houses were selected or built according to the capability to make structural changes to utilize under ground escape paths such as drain systems.  He was also installing steel doors that required apx 10 mins to take down.

You are correct about the tubs for average class and below but not upper class and the wealthy, they have the same accommodations as we do or canada.  Tubs and Jacuzzi type tubs.

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Cuidado
Darn I missed it, I caught the last ten minutes where it showed the marina questioning Chapo while he was blindfolded.  I really want to see the whole thing, were the new pics any good? Was there any other new footage of Chapo?

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Here you go the full episode  you can't zip thru commercials like DVR but it is all here

https://www.nbc.com/dateline/video/inside-the-hunt-for-el-chapo/3695270

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Cuidado
Awesome thanks Chivis.

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Welcome!

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

I am about 40% finished with the audbile book and just want to say it's really good!

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-El-Chapo-American-Most-Wanted/dp/B0742LFG6D/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Something very interesting in retrospect, Ovidio el Raton seems to be his fathers favorite son.  The number of communications in the book make him seem like the high value target in September of 2019.

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

This book, plus following the trial is probably the best insight into actual Sinaloa operations than reading all the other accounts, it is the most detailed and forgoes the many legends, into the actual day to day of the business.

Also, because I knew of the other cases involved, because I live in SD, it was a fascinating read to see the trail from the Entourage/meets Sopranos crew, to Nogales, to Panama, to Culiacan.

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Parro
The Morning video is not on line anymore.

Andrew  Hogan and this book were greatly absorbed.

From El Paso, to Culiacan, the communications were meant to exclude anyone but the Marinas. It was a Mayo operation that turned into a Chapo operation  Chapo, naked hydraulicly lifts the tub and runs through the sewer.

He ends up in Matzalan, where Andrew Hogan takes him down.  Compelling story and brings to light, that capos are humans, possessed by money and status, and their infallibility.

Hubris leads to vulnerability, and to catch and no release.  Think Florence -

Re: DEA Agent Andrew Hogan reveals himself after 7 years of the Hunt for El Chapo

Mica
Parro,
Considering Chapo didn’t ask Mayo for help during that time, it makes me question if Mayo helped Chapitos rescue Ovidio, since so many say he sent guys.
12