Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

1234 ... 83

Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Itzli
Introduction
Last year there was a long running thread called Can someone explain what is going on with CDG right now? A lot of great discussion took place before it died off. Recently, a number of threads have started, touching on different things occurring within the Gulf Cartel. As so many things are increasingly intertwined, I felt it would be a good idea to start this new thread.

Recap
I begin by providing a brief recap and summary of information found elsewhere in other threads. The general consensus late last year was that the Gulf Cartel was divided into three major factions. Based out of Reynosa, the Metro faction was headed by X20. Based out of Matamoros, the Ciclones faction was headed by Homero Cardenas. Based out of Tampico, the CDG Sur faction was headed by K14. There was tension and outright conflict between Los Metros and Los Ciclones, while CDG Sur was aligned with Matamoros.

Within Los Metros there were conflicts between competing cells. X20 conducted a purge of those aligned with El Gringo, though X20 himself would later be arrested. Afterwards, conflict was predicted as a number of individuals seemed poised to compete for the leadership, yet things seemed to remain calm. Last week saw the arrest of El Simple, who was a member of Los Metros, though his power within the group is debated.

Within Los Ciclones, it was speculated that Homero was gradually consolidating power within the Gulf Cartel as a whole. Yet recent reports indicate that he suffered a medical setback last November which led to him being hospitalized. Rumors of his death have surfaced, as well as reports that Los Ciclones have been investigating if Los Metros had a hand in it.

Within CDG Sur, reports of extortion and kidnappings increased in Tampico and K14 was directly blamed. He would eventually be arrested as a result of betrayal by his own faction. A number of potential replacements were heard, but it appeared El Wuasa, a native of Matamoros took over, only to be executed by his followers and members of his family were killed and kidnapped at his funeral...

The Emerging Conflict
Over the weekend, a number of shootouts and killings occurred in Tampico. On the surface it would appear that it is the fallout of the death of El Wuasa as members seek revenge or to gain power. Yet there seems to be more going on and it appears that those acting in the conflict are pawns of an increasing conflict between Los Metros and Los Ciclones.

As best I can piece together based upon information on Valor por Tamaulipas, the struggle in Tampico on the surface the axis of power is shifting from the urban zone to the rural zone.

In Tampico there is a group called Los Jimmy, founded by Comandante Jimmy who was executed or killed in Reynosa some time ago. Members of the group have a call sign using the initial J followed by a number. After Comandante Jimmy's death, El Chive, also known as J2, took control of the group along with his brother, El Tony, also known as J3. They have been in charge of stealing from pipelines in the area and have gained power since the fall of K14 and the death of La Wuasa. They have put in place another member of their group; some say El Guason, also known as J16, has been put in charge of Tampico, while others say it is El Chema. Regardless, it seems that  Los Jimmy's are receiving support from Comandante Cortez, reportedly a high ranking member of Los Metros. Other CDG Sur groups are aligned with Los Jimmy: Grupo Escorpion of Lazaro and Grupo Michelin of "Gordo May".

Los Jimmy are fighting to wipe out Arturo "El Sheyla/Sheila" Garza Treviño, provoking conflicts in Tampico and Ciudad Madero. "El Sheyla" was trained in Sinaloa by former soldiers and had previously worked under "El Coss" and "El Sierra" before working under "K14". He has been in charge of the war, along side Los K, against Los Zetas in Tampico since 2010 and was the creator of Grupo Dragon. He currently is backed by Los Ciclones of Matamoros.

It appears that Tampico is now a proxy fight between Los Metros and Los Ciclones. I will post more information as I learn of it and invite everyone to contribute to this thread.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

adam3

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

ToPHeR
Pictures of Cmdte Cortez

http://www.historiasdelnarco.com/2014/02/fotografias-de-comandante-cortez-de.html

Also, Cortez is rumored to be the one who confronted Gringo and his forces. I believe he was loyal to X20

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

El"H"
good read wonder what the zetas are playing at round there they must be trying something of their own as well at the same time as all this infightin is going on

I did hear tho that a few zeta factions switched sides to CDG in victoria but I dunno much about it and victoria is also heating up

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

ToPHeR
This is from last December and might explain how the Ciclones of Matamoros were allowed to enter Reynosa to "investigate"...

"There is a new division within the group The Metros of Reynosa, Comandante Carlos Cantú luciernaga (firefly) inherited command after they killed Comandante  Paulino, who was of the people of el  Gringo, but he was forgiven because he didn't backup el Gringo or his people.  Los Ciclones of Matamoros are supporting him, also the ppl from the south of that were with Costilla will command the Cascabeles.  This group was trained by kaibiles in the jungles of Chiapas where the cartel has ranches.  An acquaintance is a member of a hit squad; he's afraid, but can't leave anymore.

About the prison breakout; it was planned all the way up from Ciudad Victoria, Tamps.  Egidio facilitated that those federal inmates would return to that that particular penitentiary. Those ppl also joined with mister Luciernaga.

In Reynosa, there's another big battle coming, it's important to warn the population. "

It's being reported that the attack on the hotel in Ciudad Mier last week was conducted by Los Zetas and they were taking advantage of weakness within the Gulf Cartel. Besides that it is a bit of a mystery why Los Zetas haven't pounced, I could speculate but more of a stab in the dark as information is so scarce.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Itzli
Not too much to report. The killings in Tampico continue, officially 14 dead but others report anywhere from 35-60+ Here's one little bit of info:

#SDRTampico another day without conclusive results in the confrontations, there still is still not a new head of plaza in the area, not one band celebrates, the two groups of the CDG that are disputing the plaza with significant casualties among operative elements and some family members, attacks on businesses and homes. Narco meetings with local politicians to negotiate. And as it has been foreshadowed months ago, in this case the situation of division is very complex because of the balance in number of operative groups that are fighting.

Therefore, at least for today there are not conclusive results and the SDRs will continue, and that I do not need a crystal ball to forewarn that state of events.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

slayer421
Itzli.....great stuff and thanks bud as always!!! Keep it fresssssh!

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

ToPHeR
I saw this on the mainboard today:

Orale cabrones esperen una grande fractura de todo el CDG en el sur de tamaulipas. El Chives y su gente los Jimmys se quisieron indepenzar de Sheila(sheila es parte de los Dragones) y comensar su brazo del CDG. Despues comensaron matarle gente al Sheila que son Dragones. Ahora el Sheila pidio apoyo de los Veras y Ws. La gente de Gordo May y el grupo los Jimmys tomaran el lado de Chives, ya que chives tomo su escuela de jimmy. El pedo basicamente sera Dragones con apoyo de los Vera y Ws vs Jimmys con apoyo de Gordo May. Para que sepan que los Jimmys siempre estaban bajo control de los Dragones. Nomas que ahora se quieiseron independizar con el apoyo de los Metros. A el otro lado el Chive y los Dragones estan apoyados por los Ciclones de Matamoros. En las zonas norte rurales de Veracruz los Vera y Ws se estan preparando para entrarle Tampico este fin de semana. Los Zs por ahorita tienen tregua con los de Matamoros por eso dejaron que los Ws y Veras se junten en Veracruz. Pero todos saben que la tregua sera rompida. No se como le va hacer el CDG para peliar internalmente y tambien contra Zs. Ahorita es un desmadre. Alrato este conflicto llegara a Reynosa y Matamoros.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Itzli
Thanks for the heads up ToPHeR, I hadn't been paying attention to the mainboard. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking the conflict in Tampico could spill over into Reynosa and Matamoros. For non Spanish speakers, rather than translate I'm going to highlight the information from this post.

Reconfirming Information
In the post, several points that I had previously posted were presented here in a different manner which reinforces the likely hood the information is accurate.
1. The conflict in Tampico is El Chive and Los Jimmys vs. Sheila and Los Dragones.
2. The group of Gordo May is aligned with El Chive/Los Jimmys
3. El Chive is receiving support from Los Metros
4. Sheila is receiving support from Los Ciclones.

New Information
1. Sheila has asked for support from Los Veras and Los Ws
2. Los Jimmys were once under the control of Los Dragones.
3. Los Vera and Los W are currently in the rural zone of northern Veracruz and plan to enter Tampico this weekend.
4. Los Zetas have an agreement with the Matamoros faction of the CDG and thus allowed Los Vera and Los W to regroup in Veracruz.

I have more to post latter today.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

El"H"
the last part of zs n cyclones truce is strange it dont make sense

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Itzli
I agree with it being strange but it does make sense in a way (but I'm not sure how true it is). Within the Gulf Cartel, Los Metros have tended to be the ones that have waged the war against Los Zetas. Therefore it could be akin to "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

It is worth noting that the person posting doubted the agreement would be honored in the long term. As for my opinion, I think it's plausible but doubt it would be an open alliance, rather, it is more of a ceasefire, as long as the Matamoros faction doesn't attack Los Zetas, Los Zetas won't attack them.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

El Plata
Wow, great thread. I have alot to add to the conversation that will clear some things up. I will post my information soon. This video was posted to Youtube last night. It is Los Chive threatening Coca Victor Zetas. Take it for what its worth.

http://youtu.be/L5jSO4D8Qcs
El que a cuchillo mata, a cuchillo muere.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Moros

I would also like to add that Los Dragones have ties to former Gulf Cartel regional leader Comandante Sierra/ Juan Gabriel Montes. He was a lieutenant for El Gordo for CDG Sur.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Itzli
The Groups/Sub-Groups of Tampico

As so many group names are being thrown out lately, I figured it would be handy to write up a quick listing as a point of reference.

1. Dragones- Group founded and led by "El Sheila".  Likely to have been a sub-group of Los Kalimanes.
2. Escorpion- Likely the followers of "El Coss" as his group used that name.  Said to be aligned with Los J.
3. Jimmys- also known as Los J.  Founded by "Comandante Jimmy".  Said to have once been under the command of Los Dragones.  Currently led by "El Chive".
4. Kalimanes- also known as Los K.  Founded by "El Sierra".
5. Michelin- Group led by "Gordo May".  Said to be aligned with Los J.
6. Vera- Group said to be aligned with Los Dragones.
7. W- Group said to be aligned with Los Dragones.

While going back through some threads to collect information, I noticed a post by El Plata in Can someone explain what is going on with CDG right now?.  He referenced a video of a decapitation of a 15 year old Honduran boy entitled "El Cartel Del Golfo Grupo W Grupo J Grupo Dragones".  Based on what I now know, it would seem that this video took place in Tampico.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

Itzli
Revisiting K14

On Sunday, an article (CNS confirma detención de fundador del Cártel del Golfo) came out, surprisingly just now confirming the arrest of Javier "Comandante 14" Garza Medrano. Nevertheless, there was some good new information in the article that clarifies some open questions. I, like many people dismissed earlier reports that "Comandante 14" was a founding member of the Gulf Cartel.  It looks like I was wrong.

It is reported that he was a Federal Judicial Police officer who worked alongside Jorge Eduardo "El Coss" Costilla Sánchez.  He would go on to work directly under Osiel Cárdenas Guillén.  So when it is said he was a founding member of the Gulf Cartel, it means that he was one of the original followers of Osiel as he rose to take over the organization.

Starting in 2007, he became the link between his boss Juan Gabriel "El Sierra" Montes Zermeño and South American cocaine suppliers that operated in Mexico City.  His earnings were estimated at between 2-6 million dollars monthly.

Following the arrest of "El Sierra" in September 2012, he became head of the Tampico plaza which also included the municipalities of Madero, Altamira, and Aldama.  He traveled frequently from Tamaulipas to Mexico City, where he met with the brothers Cristian Antonio and Oliver José Cruz Martínez, members of “La Unión de Tepito”.

His arrest was said to have taken place in the Hotel Posada Misión, 32 Cerro de la Misión in Taxco de Alarcón, Guerrero, where he was staying as he was a participant of a mountain bike competition.  A twelve member security team of his was also arrested.

Within the thread Can someone explain what is going on with CDG right now? Tijuana posted some rumors about "Comandante 14" that at the time I didn't think much of. "He killed Comandante Jimmy in Altamira along with 20 of Jimmy´s men because they were part of the Reynosa crew(Metros?) and he (14) is works for Matamoros(Ciclones?)."

Another minor point that only recently made sense to me is that his other alias, "K14" means "Kaliman 14" and signifies him as part of the direct group of "El Sierra".

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel

El Plata
Just wanted to add that I am pretty sure that the photos are not THE Comandante Cortez. He was much older and had been a CDG member for years. He is also refered to as El Senor Cortez or C1 I believe this is his son Sergio Cortez Hijo Ortegón Jr who goes by Junior. The older Cortez's group was known as the Ceros (00). Comandante Cortez's son was under the command of El Gringo.  Early last year El Gringo and El Simples people ambushed a group led by Cmndte Cortez, members of CDS and the people of El Vampiro because they were doing unauthorized work. It was reported that Cmndte. Cortez brother known as El Ortegon was killed. What is crazy is that You have father and son in different factions. I believe Cmndte Cortez's nephew known as El Perzon is also a high ranking member under Gringo. When Gringo and his people were wiped out Cmndte. Cortez Junior was not killed because he did not come to the aid of Gringo during the battle. Comandante Cortez and El Gringo were close at one point. There was a rumor that M4 was killed because of a dispute with Cmndte Cortez. Basiclly M4 said that Cortez owed him money for a drug shipment that was taken. Comander Cortez basiclly told him to go fuck himself at which point Gringo executed M4 for the disrespect. In my opinon both Gringo and Cortez were taken out by X20 to ensure his position as top dog. I think it was X20 who spread the rumors about Gringo and Cortez working with the Zetas as a way to justify killing top level CDG members. On a side note I also strongly believe R1 is still alive. I think he has been laying low since X20 tookover and now Homero. It was known that X20 did not like R1 because of the M3 killing. If Homero is indeed dead I have a strong feeling we will here from R1 again probably as a member of CDS.

As noted earlier Commander 14 was bringing alot of unwanted heat to Tampico. Not only was he raping and kidnapping women and ramping up extortion but he was behind the murder of 33 inmates at Altamira prison because the inmates did not want to work for the cartel anymore. Some of these inmates had close ties to Los Jimmys. 14 was also behind the murder of some cops in Veracruz. The CDG has apparently gotten word the X14 has been spilling the beans on cartel operations while in custody so they gave the cartel the green light to wipe out anyone in Tampico and the surronding areas that has links to 14. So El Chive has been cleaning the plaza of people linked to 14. El Wuasa and his family were taken out by El Chive because they did not have the authority to take control of the plaza and I would guess links to 14. El Chive is supported by the Matamoros faction of the Cyclones.  Los Jimmys have long been at war with X14. Cmndte. Jimmy before he was killed believed that he should have control of the CDG Sur. Comandante Jimmy and 2 of his brothers were executed in Nosa for having links to Los Zetas. Word was that he was selling weapons to the Z. His group Los Jimmy's have continued to fight for the Plaza of Altamira and control of the South. It seems to me that every time a CDG heavy weight is taken out it is always blamed on links to Los Zetas. It seems like its a easy way for the CDG to justify taking out someone who is getting to powerful. All this infighting while at the same time trying to keep the Zetas from invading. Tamaulipas is split right down the middle. The CDG controls the eastern part of the state and the Z in the west.

This is not the first time I have heard of a truce between the Zetas and the CDG. I have heard numerous times about the CDG in Vera Cruz having a truce with the Z. You have to remember that it seems that there are 2 factions of the Zetas. One faction from CD. Victoria known as Coca Victor and the other faction being the Z from Nuevo Laredo known as Nectar Lima. The CDG probably made this truce to buy time while trying to sort out all the infighting. We all know it wont last. I think the battle for Tampico is only going to get worse and bloodier. We all know how important that plaza is to the CDG. One would have to think that with all the infighting going on in Tampico within the CDG that the Zetas will make incursions into that plaza. I think we could see a all out war for southern Tamaulipas. I just wanted to add that most of the information I have gathered are only rumors, I am just trying to put the pieces together. It seems like there is so much disinformation out there we really cant be 100% sure what is factual and what is not, so take everything with a grain of salt.