Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

12345 ... 10

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
Very cool, MX. I am looking forward to the rest. How did you go about to find that case number?
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
This post was updated on .
I got it by doing a record search at the U.S. District Clerk's Office in Brownsville. Luckily I had that newspaper article from The Brownsville Herald with the exact date (8 November 1978), so it was a relatively easy find. I hope I have everything I need because I've never done this process before.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX

Five Armed Suspects Killed in Reynosa

On late Sunday and early Monday morning, elements of the Tamaulipas State Police killed five armed civilians. The shootout lasted nearly 9 hours. The incident did not let the residents of the municipality of Reynosa sleep. The Ministry of Public Security reported that the first firefight between authorities and the criminals took place in the western part of the city, when a group of men circulating in a van Escalade opened fire on the units of the state police units.

The shootout between the police and the gunmen spread through Reynosa's streets and avenues, but it was until they reached the Loma Real neighborhood, when the troops managed to injure and take the lives of two of those who were attacking him. Red Cross paramedics approached the place and confirmed that none had vital signs.

The second shooting was recorded at 5 in the morning in Las Torres Avenue, where a group of armed civilians, circulating in a trailblazer truck attacked a police convoy that was doing surveillance. A vehicle persecution began, and it ended in Robles Street in the Paseo de las Flores neighborhood, when the the police officers killed three of the attackers.

Rio Bravo CDG member

Here is a picture of a man identified as "Comandante Timon". He reportedly operates out of the Rio Bravo plaza and carrying out kidnappings and Rio Bravo and Reynosa.

Source(s)
https://www.milenio.com/policia/tamaulipas-balacera-policias-civiles-armados-abatidos-reynosa

https://www.facebook.com/ReynosaAlpha1/photos/a.1870511269647321/2915496461815458/?type=3&theater
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX

Possible Chinese involvement in Tamaulipas underworld, 1920s and '30s

Last night I was researching criminal activities during the U.S. Prohibition in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, and stumbled across the murder of a Chinese national in Matamoros in 1930. He was apparently a member of the Tong organization, and was part of a secret society in Tampico before moving to Matamoros. I have yet to read the archives in Spanish, but I hope this case leads me somewhere interesting that can help us understand the criminal layout prior to Juan N. Guerra and the Del Fierro dynasty.

This is also important because current research does not point to any "Chinese involvement" in Tamaulipas from an organized crime perspective; research shows that the Chinese who fled China during the Opium War settled in western Mexico (like Sinaloa) but never made it to Tamaulipas or at least were not believed to have any influence there. It may take me months to produce but I will nonetheless write a publication about his murder in the future.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

RGV AG
There were a few that ended up scattered in North Eastern Mexico, in Tamps in general.  Also, quite a few that were in the eastern part of the country were run out with the anti-Chinese laws and sentiment.  Quite a few ended up in Central America, Belize and Nicaragua in particular.  I have met many 4th and 5th generation ethnic Chinese in Central America and all had initially had family members run through Mexico.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Thanks for the note. Did you know in what cities in northeastern Mexico? I know about Coahuila state being on the list of large Chinese immigrants (Alfonso Lam Liu being a notable CDG figure of Chinese ancestry), but don't know much about other parts.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Frank
Awesome find MX look forward to learning more about the topic of the triad influence in the Mexican underworld, from past to present. I know they brought the opium with them way back when, and Mexico, unfortunately perhaps for its citizens, has a great climate for poppy cultivation as we all know.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

This guy got killed yesterday in Reynosa. Johnny Trejo AKA El Diente Mamon, one of Gama 16's sicarios. Gama 16 or Aaron Villarreal Martinez is the guy who recently appeared on social media with the video of people being burned alive, supposedly sicarios from the Matamoros faction. Gama 16 and his brother works for Primito, who seems to have come out of on top, for now. There is lots of chatter about Primito being protected by Cabeza de Vaca.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Apparently Jose Alfredo Cardenas Martinez AKA El Contador is still pulling strings from penal de Durango through this guy, Hector Chapa Villarreal. In the picture seen together with Dora Cardenas, cousin of El Contador.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

In Zacatecas, in a confrontation between the Sinaloa and Gulf cartels in Río Grande, Commander Diablo, regional leader of the Gulf cartel in northern Zacatecas, was shot dead, the state's Secretariat of Public Security reported.

Source:
https://www.jornada.com.mx/ultimas/estados/2020/03/07/nueve-muertos-en-operativo-contra-robo-de-autos-en-jalisco-5381.html
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Apparently Víctor Manuel Vázquez Mireles ("Meme Loco"), an old school narco under Osiel Cárdenas Guillén, is free. This guy is a "heavy hitter" and definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

I'll likely post about him in the mainboard soon. The text above is from a court case in 3 March 2020 where Mario Alberto Cárdenas Medina was involved.

Anyone have additional info? Thanks.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Yes, that one.

Check out my Scribd upload:

https://www.scribd.com/document/445754859/Victor-Manuel-Vazquez-Mireles-Gulf-Cartel-Sentence

I reached out to the Mexican government in May 2019 requesting info on this guy but was only told he was convicted of organized crime involvement. I did not get a term length or any other details. With the coronavirus outbreak all transparency info requests have been halted but I hope to get more info on other CDG narcos later this year.

Stay tuned for a mainboard post later today or tomorrow on this guy.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
Keep on hitting the government with requests!

Why do you think the policy is so little transparent and that these clerks give out so little info? Is it privacy laws or is it actually collusion between officials or has it become sort of a do not tell-culture? To me, it seems like the info got less accessible after Nieto and PRI took over.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Will do!

I currently have draft petitions ready for Zeferino Pena Cuellar, Óscar Malherbe de León and Hugo Baldomero Medina Garza once government activities come back to normal. People in Matamoros say that Medina Garza is free and is living in Tampico. Malherbe is out too from what I've heard and may be living in the Mexico City area (his daughter Sahira opened a seafood restaurant, La Marina Marisqueria, about a year ago in Matamoros).

To answer your question, the government usually cites "confidentially" when they deny requests. From my experience it is usually a hit-or-miss scenario. I think lot of it depends on how you word your request and who receives it in their queue. Last year I requested info on two CDG bosses, Adan Medrano Rodriguez ("El Licenciado") and Jose Manuel Garza Rendon ("La Brocha"). The wording I used was very similar for both, but one of my requests got denied because I asked for info they believed was too confidential / personal.

https://www.scribd.com/document/454024797/Adan-Medrano-Rodriguez-Gulf-Cartel-Sentence (request approved)

https://www.scribd.com/document/454023574/Jose-Manuel-Garza-Rendon-Gulf-Cartel (request denied)

BTW, a relative of Medrano (surname Cantu Medrano) confirmed to me that El Licenciado was kidnapped in 2018 in Matamoros while he drove with his family to Monterrey. He's been missing ever since. You might want to add that in your notes if you'd like. His family own a chain restaurant in Matamoros called "Natural House".

http://sega.tamaulipas.gob.mx/AppSEGA/uploads/137212_9.A.VIATICOS_PGJ_20180531.pdf

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Rumor has it that Lalo or Jimmy Sierra AKA Metro 93 (possibly old denomination) has arrived to take over  Miguel Aleman, after former plaza boss, Jesus Hernandez Martinez AKA Patotas, was killed on Feb. 26, 2020.

Lalo Sierra is the brother of Metro 31 Luis Miguel Mercado Gonzalez AKA Flaco Sierra AKA Metro 205, who got arrested in 2018.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Thanks, will note that down, MX.

But why do you think they often cite confidentiality. What is the culture behind that? Has it always been like that, or has it changed? Just trying to get the zest.

BTW, both scribd-documents seems to have been removed?

I was thinking, you got Medrano linked to "Natural House". Is there a way to find out more about ownerships a guy like that might have? "Follow the money", as Redlogarhythm would probably say
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
leChef wrote
But why do you think they often cite confidentiality. What is the culture behind that? Has it always been like that, or has it changed? Just trying to get the zest.
Mexico enacted the Federal Access to Information Law in 2002 under Vicente Fox, but the government didn't see a boom in requests until about 10 years ago or so when Internet access became more accessible to the average Mexican. The push has really come from journalists. I think the earliest transparency requests about narcos that you'll find online are from the mid-2000s, when someone requested tons of information about the Zetas founders. See here for more details.

There is definitely a big cultural factor at play here. For one, the government is still working on getting accustomed to giving out information to the public about its prisoners, criminal investigations, sentences and court cases. A lot of it is not digitized either so it makes it difficult to retrieve when thousands of requests come to their queue. And on the other side, Mexican citizens may often not feel that the government will be transparent anyways, so they shy away from such benefits even when they are available to them. People are wary of the government and don't feel comfortable asking for information. Heck, my family thinks I'm crazy for requesting such information. There's definitely a do-not tell /ask culture from both sides.

leChef wrote
BTW, both scribd-documents seems to have been removed?
Hmm, I literally uploaded them minutes before I posted here. That might be the issue. Please check later. I'm uploading the PDFs here too. Sorry for the inconvenience. Jose_Manuel_Garza_Rendon_-_Gulf_Cartel.pdf Adan_Medrano_Rodriguez_(Gulf_Cartel)_-_Sentence.pdf

leChef wrote
I was thinking, you got Medrano linked to "Natural House". Is there a way to find out more about ownerships a guy like that might have? "Follow the money", as Redlogarhythm would probably say
Good question. It seems like this kind of info is public so I think we can probably get more from somewhere. I'll try to find out. Maybe Redlogarhythm knows!

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Bailador
Does anyone know what's actually going on with CDG? I know alot of people say they're trough and that there's no such thing anymore, but I feel if that were the case, they wouldn't be in zacatecas, puebla, san luis potosi, etc. As long as there's people still flying that flag, then they still exist. Not as organized or as strong, but still there. Anyways, does anyone know what's going on in Reynosa & Matamoros metros, etc ?

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX: Thanks for that cultural insight. I was suspecting it, but did not know for sure.

I would like to pick up the discussion on Mario Alberto Castillón Ruiz. He is listed as owning this lot in Brownsville: 1042 E Madison Street, Brownsville, TX 78520, and a Jorge Luis Cisneros owns the house next door. Coincidence?

Wouldn't you think a US agency would have information about him?
12345 ... 10