Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

A new year, and the Gulf Cartel seems the weakest in years. The organization has fragmented, and it is plaza vs plaza, although the level of infighting violence seems to have somewhat subsided. Perhaps the fractions is low on cash and cannot longer sustain costly wars, and are more focused on trafficking, extortion and kidnapping. It would be great to hear from BB readers living in the area.

These are apparently the people in charge of Reynosa at the moment:

Mono (Metro 36), Mimi (Metro 1) and Mierda (Metro 22)

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Chatter has it that Mono out of Reynosa met with Chuy Cabezon of San Fernando yesterday to clear out any differences. I guess Chuy is in charge of San Fernando.

Chuy Cabezon is a real old schooler. He was recruited by Betin "el Temeroso", a local San Fernando criminal, who Osiel Cardenas Guillen was imprisoned with in Matamoros in 1994, and who basically built the San Fernando plaza for CDG together with Ezequiel Cardenas Rivera AKA El Junior.

But it seems I have to amend this post as Chuy 7 is the plaza boss of San Fernando, and that cannot be the same as the old schooler.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
Plaza map of San Fernando

MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Thanks for this! I’m terrible at keeping up with current Gulf Cartel events since I’m always researching throwbacks. I appreciate the work you and others do on this.

If you or others could share insights on other cities in Tamaulipas (active plaza bosses or members), I’d really appreciate it.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MaxiMillian2k19
I heard that CDG belligerent in San Fernando were Los Nitros

photo of alleged Nitro 37 in San Fernando

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
I think Los Nitros is extinct. It is definitely Chuy 7 who is the plaza boss in San Fernando, and they have an alliance with Reynosa.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

I guess Raul Garcia Martinez AKA El Loco AKA Escorpion 2 is plaza boss in Matamoros. He is operating on behalf of Mario Alberto “Beto” Cárdenas, currently imprisoned.

They are disputing the plaza against  Ciclon 46 Evaristo Cruz AKA Vaquero.

-------------------------------------

Raul Garcia Martinez was working for Tony Tormenta and got arrested back in 2005, in an incident where an AFI agent lost his life.

Source:
https://www.jornada.com.mx/2005/05/28/index.php?section=politica&article=022n1pol

MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
This post was updated on .

@leChef: This picture may be an addition to your photo library.

The man above is Mario Alberto Castillón Ruiz, former group lead in the Tamaulipas State Police in the 1990s who once worked under Osiel Cárdenas Guillén. He's listed as a fugitive at least since 2001 per my findings in print archives. He was reportedly active in the cartel in the early 2000s as one of Osiel's triggermen who helped coordinate the security circle personnel responsible for protecting the houses of his family and made sure the cartel wasn't bothered by state police operations. He is cousins with drug trafficker Jorge Cisneros ("La Rata"), also from Matamoros, who worked with a trafficker known as "Güero Gil". Sources close to me told me he lives in Brownsville but frequents Matamoros, but I was told he is no longer active. He owns a manufacturing firm (Gonzalez No. 182 Local 16, between 14 and 15th Streets) and car washing company (14th Street), both in Matamoros.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

I wish I did better source saving back then, Mario Alberto Castillon Ruiz must have been significant because from my notes I read:

Mario Alberto Castillon Ruiz - Heads security for Osiel Cardenas with a group:
Mario Armando Ramírez Treviño X20
Eduardo Varela Cabrera
Saul Gonzalez Lopez
Alejandro Estévez García
Samuel Flores Borrego M3

Update: Found the source:
https://www.contralinea.com.mx/archivo-revista/2009/08/23/dea-fbi-pgr-osiel-controlo-tamaulipas/
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
https://www.contralinea.com.mx/archivo-revista/2009/08/23/dea-fbi-pgr-osiel-controlo-tamaulipas/

It's that one above.

Below is another direct source from a print archive:

Barajas, Abel (7 May 2001). "Revive Osiel al Cártel del Golfo". El Norte (in Spanish). Monterrey, Nuevo León

"Jesús Zacarías Espino López Jefe del escuadrón de sicarios de Osiel Cárdenas. Recibía órdenes de él, de "El Roger", de Mario Alberto Castillón y "El Cabezón". Juan Carlos González Sánchez "La Torta". Ex agente de la Policía Judicial de Tamaulipas. Un testigo asegura que es "quien controla al grupo de la policía municipal". José Manuel Garza Rodríguez "La Brocha". Es buscado por el FBI por tráfico de drogas y amenazas a 2 agentes de EU. Descrito como "colaborador directo de Osiel". Mario Alberto Castillón Ruiz Considerado por un testigo protegido como uno de los operadores más cercanos a Osiel. Su figura es una de las más discretas en la organización."

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
Could he perhaps have become a protected witness himself? Since he is living in tranquility in Brownsville.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Perhaps, but Brownsville is still too risky to live in if you're testifying against the Gulf Cartel (especially if you travel to Matamoros). I have a feeling the charges against him in Mexico may have been dropped at some point. His family is friends with some really good Tamaulipas lawyers, including Jorge Max Castillo Treviño. Castillo was close to Yarrington and former Matamoros mayor Baltazar Hinojosa Ochoa.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

But is this Jorge Cisneros the same as the former FBI agent and Anaheim police chief? That must be wrong, right?

Source:
http://valortamaulipeco.blogspot.com/2014/09/la-video-vigilancianegociando-con-la.html
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
Yes, different person. There is a Cisneros family from Matamoros that mostly lives in Brownsville now. I think their children were/are close to Malherbe's family.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Mexican soldiers kill 11 attackers near Texas border

Mexican soldiers killed 11 attackers near the Mexico-Texas border Thursday, Tamaulipas state authorities said.

Around 2:30 p.m. soldiers on patrol were ambushed on a dirt road in the community of Los Angeles in the Miguel Aleman township, said Luis Alberto Rodriguez, head of the Tamaulipas state security coordinating group.

Civilians began shooting at the soldiers from the brush, he said.

The regional army command did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The area is controlled by the Gulf cartel, but has also seen incursions from a splinter of the Zetas and the Jalisco New Generation cartel. There had been an increased military presence since the killing this month of a child when gunmen attacked his family’s vehicle in the area.

Source:
https://federalnewsnetwork.com/government-news/2020/01/mexican-soldiers-kill-11-attackers-near-texas-border/

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

leChef
Apparently, the story of the confrontation in Los Angeles began with a group of CDN sicarios came in to the village and executed a young male, Alejandro Martínez, native to the Los Angeles village, and wounded a girl that had nothing to do with organized crime.

A CDG command came to find the CDN sicarios and somebody had tipped off the army, which led to the shootout and the 11 Gulf Cartel gunmen killed.

The deceased CDG were people of Cesar Morfin Morfin AKA Primito.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Just some news that did not see the light on BB in December, Gama 16's identity has been revealed. His name is supposedly Aaron Villarreal Martinez. He is currently head of assassins for Cesar Morfin Morfin AKA El Primito.

Also, I came across some old posts saying Gama 1 is El Contador, which could only mean one thing at the time, Gama 1 is Jose Alfredo Cardenas Martinez AKA El Contador, who was arrested Mar. 4, 2019, and that probably means that Grupo Gama was his men all along.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

Due to the recent unsanctioned killing of Reynosa police officer Oscar Manuel Cervantes de la Rosa, we might see a lot more fights in the border city.

The killer tried to blame Vaquero out of Matamoros for the deed, by leaving a signed Vaquero cartulina with the body.

It is believed that either Mimi, Mierda, Roque or Nabor is to blame. El Mono, who thinks Nabor is the perpetrator, is working with San Fernando to drive them all out of Reynosa.

However, many comandates are dissatisfied with Primito and Mono, and are joining Nabor.

Primito on the other hand has been accused of colluding with Cabeza de Vaca, and has apparently agreed to hand over Nabor and some of his people to the authorities.

MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2020

MX
This post was updated on .
Definitely not a current event, but I still like to share my findings as we dig every day for answers about the past and the present Gulf Cartel.

I've been doing research on Casimiro 'El Cacho' Espinosa Campos, the old school Matamoros kingpin who was killed in 1984. I discovered a few interesting things I'd like to share. I was able to find in print archives that he was arrested in Brownsville in 1976 for marijuana trafficking. I don't have the month, so I wasn't able to find more details. But it shows that he was deep in the drug trade way before Juan García Abrego. Apparently he fled to Matamoros and never returned to the U.S. after this incident.

Below is a picture from February 1984 depicting 'El Cacho' (right) with a Brownsville Herald reporter who visited him in Tamaulipas.

@leChef: The 1978 indictment filed against the 18 individuals I mentioned to you (including Juan Garcia Abrego and his best friend Lictor Hazael Marroquin Garcia) is B-78-CR-620. It was filed in McAllen and is probably stored at the NARA archives in Forth Worth. I will email Chivis if I get a hold of it to see if we can have a main page post for this rare indictment.
12