Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

dcm90

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

SHNL: How about posting those pictures?

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

@DCM: I think the term "Monterrey Cartel" was a media creation, not an internal phrase. I haven't heard of Los 2000 before, got anything to add?
MX

@SHNL: I sent you an email. I'm interested in starting a biography of El Yeyo on Wikipedia. I've written some biographies of Osiel lieutenants like Medrano, Garza Rendón, and de la Cruz Reyna since January. I was going to get to El June soon but figured I could also write about El Yeyo too since there are plenty of sources about him. Talk soon.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

MX
BTW, just finished the Wikipedia article of the former Gulf Cartel leader Víctor Manuel Vázquez Mireles. I wasn't able to find any sources about him after 2013/2014. He remained without a conviction between 2003 and 2013 and filed a lot of motions to get released. So any help in finding a source on what happened would be highly appreciated. Perhaps he was released?

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

leChef
Thorough article there, MX. Good work!
MX

Thank you, leChef! I'll keep sharing the Gulf Cartel biographies I make, and see if anyone here has info on gaps I may find. Ever since the start of the drug war in 2006 and after Osiel was convicted, the media has moved on and forgotten about the status of some of his former confidants. Hopefully these articles help renew some interest.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

MX
Hello, guys. I was going through the Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator and noticed that Juan García Ábrego was no longer imprisoned at ADX Supermax (Colorado) and is now at Hazelton USP (West Virginia). His register number is 09935-000.

When did this even happen? He was transferred from solitary confinement to the general prison population at ADX Supermax in 2016, but as far as I know the transfer to Hazelton USP was never made public until a few days ago when El Chapo's trial ended. I have a feeling this transfer may have been somewhat recent.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

Gizzle_WON
Damn MX u spent no time updating that wiki page
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

MX
LOL. I'm always on Wikipedia writing about narcos. Juan's page needs a major overhaul though, but I'm working on Osiel's lieutenants right now. Gilberto García Mena (El June) is next. Will share the link once it's done. Cheers.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

Gizzle_WON
Good stuff, thanks for the hard work

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

Cartel map of Tamaulipas

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

Itzli
Beat me to the punch! I believe this was from El Universal. Here's a translation the write-up that accompanied it:

Panteras
Founded by Víctor Manuel Pérez Rico, Pantera 16, who was detained in 2018 the the Federal Police, Panteras is one of three factions in which the Gulf Cartel is divided, they control the municipalities of Soto la Marina, Aldama, Abasolo and González, considered to be important points for the retail drug selling and import of synthetic drugs coming from Central America.

The current structure is made up of Hugo Alberto Orduña Barrientos, Comandante Pájaro; José María Durán Chávez, Chema Durán, and Pablo Misael Ramos, Pantera 24, whom mantain a dispute with their rivals Los Rojos and Los Zetas Vieja Escuela for the transport of drugs along the coastal rout.

Ciclones
The report refers that following the fall of Ángel Eduardo Rodríguez, Ciclón 7,in October 2015, Alfredo Cárdenas Martínez, Conta Alfredo —nephew of the capo Osiel Cárdenas Guillén— maintains the leadership of the Ciclones, a splinter group of the Gulf, which continues to be in confrontation with Metros in order to gain the plaza of Reynosa.

Ciclones of Cárdenas Martínez —detained on two occasions by the Armed Forces, although in neither case they were able to press charges—, operates in Ciudad Victoria, Matamoros, Valle Hermoso, Río Bravo, Nuevo Progreso and San Fernando, with their armed wing Escorpiones —created by Antonio Cárdenas Tony Tormenta, killed by federal forces— and in alliance with Los Zetas Vieja Escuela, which has caused an increase in the armed confrontations between criminal cells.

Sergio Ortegón Silva, Comandante Cortez or C-1, head of plaza in Matamoros; Heriberto Bazán Rodríguez, head of plaza in Ciudad Victoria; Comandante Caballero,  head of plaza in Valle Hermoso; Carlos Osvaldo González Escobar, Carlitos Whiskies, head of plaza in Nuevo Progreso; Omar González Villegas, El Borracho, in charge of transport of drugs; Dinorah Roxana Pinto Ponce, La Güera Patera, in charge of the trafficking of migrants, are the principal collaborators of the nephew of Osiel Cárdenas Guillén, in Los Ciclones.

Metros
Another faction of the Gulf Cartel, Metros, have as their principal center of operations and influence Reynosa and  the municipalities of Mainero, Villagrán, Hidalgo, Camargo, Miguel Alemán and Gustavo Díaz Ordaz.

Internal disputes fractured this group in two: Metros Reynosa and Metros Miguel Alemán, the reason for which a series of confrontations for the traffic of drugs on the border occurred on Sunday.

A person identified as El Miguelito and  Bartolo Rodarte Castillo, Primito, are the principal leaders of
Metros Reynosa and Metros Miguel Alemán, respectively.

Primito is seen as the architect of the war between the cells of the Gulf Cartel that at one point were allies; he maintains alliances with the faction of Miguel Ángel Álvarez Campos, Metro-54, who occupies the place of the detained Luis Alberto Flores Blanco, El Pelochas or M-28.

These realignments reached one thousand homicides in 2017 according o the security report.

Zetas Vieja Escuela
Following the capture of Omar Treviño Morales, Z-42, in Nuevo León, the cartel of Los Zetas divided in two groups: Zetas Vieja Escuela or Vieja Guardia and Cártel del Noreste of the Treviño Morales brothers, which generated fights in various states of the country, primarily in Tamaulipas.

Los Zetas Vieja Escuela remained under the leadership of José María Guízar Valencia, Z-43, who named Rogelio González Pinzana, Kelin, as head of plaza in Tamaulipas, that later of which reinforced the criminal organization with cells of the Gulf Cartel.

According to the document, Kelin was executed by the faction of the Ciclones and currently Los Zetas Vieja Escuela are under the command of Antonio Salas Perea, Chihuas, and have a precense in the municipalities of Nuevo Morelos, Antiguo Morelos, Mante, Ocampo, Tula, Bustamante, Miquihuana, Palmillas, Jaumave, Llera, Gómez Farías, Xicoténcatl, Casas, Güemes, Padilla, San Carlos, San Nicolás, Jiménez, Burgos, Méndez, San Fernando, Cruillas.

Cártel del Noreste
Directed by Juan Gerardo Treviño Chávez, El Huevo Treviño, theCártel del Noreste is the most violent criminal organization in the state and their presence is detected in Nuevo Laredo, Nueva Ciudad Guerrero and Ciudad Mier.
MX

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

MX
Great post, guys! Link is here if anyone wants to see the original:

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/tamaulipas-bajo-la-ley-del-narco

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

49659gomet
What faction of CDG controls zacatecas since the arrest of F1??

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

That alleged conflict between Panteras and Los Rojos must be low intensity. I know there were some narcomantas back in 2017, but it is my understanding that Los Rojos is loyal to Matamoros.

To me it seems like the main conflict is east-west with Matamoros VS Primito VS CDN.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

@GoMet: Well, in early December there were a narcomanta announcing yet another cleaning service in Zacatecas, and specifically against Daniel López Martínez, mayor of Ojocaliente. The banner was signed by Metro 82 and Carteles Unidos, meaning the Sinaloa/CDG alliance.

Does anyone have a theory on why Zacatecas is so important for the Gulf Cartel? Normally it would be to secure drug trafficking routes. Is it to bring drugs from the west coast and the Sinaloans or the other way perhaps? Mazatlan-Durango-Zacatecas-Monterrey/SLP-Reynosa/Matamoros
MX

I hope this image below helps. Because Zacatecas is centrally located, it seems like it provides a good route to drug corridors along the Texan border. Zacatecas is close to Monterrey and Torreón (if you leave in the morning you can be there by noon), so you can imagine how important that can be. Nailing Zacatecas may guarantee safe passage to busy U.S. border crossings like Nuevo Laredo and Ciudad Juárez. Though Zacatecas isn't an economic powerhouse like Jalisco, it also provides a vast region for marijuana/opium plantations and clandestine drug labs.

Re: Current Events in the Gulf Cartel 2019

leChef
Thanks, MX. I concur. I would think however that the routes on the map are more of a criss-cross feature, don't you think? And if the central route was essential, I guess it would make more sense to send it through CDG territory as opposed to CDN plazas.
123456