Commando kills man in Laredo?

Bjeff
A man got shot and killed in Laredo and besides the tragedy it is interesting how Mexican and US news sites report very differently.

The Mexican side assume there has been a cartel hit and as usual they are car affectionados, carefully listing color and type of the hit car. They even mention the color and make of the car, which the victim died next to.

The US side is very vague, not assuming anything and rather quoting the cops. I have checked several sites about the incident, and it is the same all over. US and Mexican journalism are two different schools for sure.

US Source:
http://www.pro8news.com/news/local/Fatal-Shooting-on-Puig-Drive-188525431.html

Mexican Source:
http://www.excelsior.com.mx/2013/01/27/nacional/881336

Re: Commando kills man in Laredo?

Tamaulipas

Re: Commando kills man in Laredo?

bjeff

so nice to see the house being cleaned and the trash taken out  :)

Re: Commando kills man in Laredo?

Bjeff
First of all, a man was possibly killed by an armed commando, thus interesting

Secondly, I am trying to figure out why Mexican news reports emphasizes seemingly unnecessary details like full title of the investigator and all agencies involved, often multiple times in an article, and seized property all the way down to lighters, and then there is the car details.

I am not judging, it just seems a strange way to report on crime. Anybody know why?

Re: Commando kills man in Laredo?

STXjarhead
That's not even a 5 minute drive from my house. Funny, I didnt even know anything about it until I read this.

Re: Commando kills man in Laredo?

Bjeff
Homicide victim identified

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:32 PM CST

Laredo Police have identified the man shot dead Saturday morning outside a North Laredo home on Puig Drive, a neighborhood where police had recorded a couple of shootings in the last two weeks, a police spokesman said Monday.

Meanwhile, detectives have also named the shooter. But Investigator Joe E. Baeza, LPD spokesman, said authorities will not release his name since he had not been criminally charged as of Monday. Investigators are closely consulting with District Attorney’s Office officials to determine what, if any, charges could apply.

“Since he’s not facing any criminal charges, we’re not allowed to give out his name … We’re still in the process of investigating whether or not criminal charges will be applied in this case,” Baeza said, adding the investigation continues.

It remains unclear whether the shooter was inside or outside the home or if he is the homeowner. On Sunday, authorities identified the shooting victim as Manuel Rodriguez, 30. His obituary nicknames him “El Slow.”

Rodriguez’s relatives could not be reached for comment.

Also, the man who sustained non-life-threatening injuries was identified as Ricardo Trejo, 25.

Authorities responded to the shooting at about 9 a.m. in the 600 block of Puig Drive, located between Shiloh Drive and International Boulevard.

They arrived to find Rodriguez dead at the scene and Trejo with a superficial wound to the leg.

It was Laredo's first homicide of 2013. The city's previous homicide happened seven months ago, according to police.

Source:
http://www.lmtonline.com/articles/2013/01/29/front/news/doc5106da1b1d24d808332954.txt