Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

jason5683
Banned User
Might well fight fire with fire!

Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept. Says
By: Anthony Kimery

For weeks, the blogosphere and conspiracy websites have been abuzz over an unconfirmed blog that claimed the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is fielding several thousand Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles it obtained from the Department of Defense.

Most blogs that have repeated the claim say DHS recently retrofitted 2,717 MRAPs that it obtained from the Pentagon, and that these military vehicles that were used in Iraq and Afghanistan are being put in “service on the streets of the United States” in preparation for some sort of civil insurrection or crisis that would require the imposition of martial law.

Bloggers have questioned why DHS would need such a vehicle to begin with, asking, “what is DHS expecting or preparing for.” The original unconfirmed and unsourced claim spread like wildfire and has prompted flurries of bizarre comments on bloggers’ websites. “I work where MRAPS are built. They are being refit for reuse alright, but it ain’t for use in Afghanistan or Iraq … The overwhelming evidence is enough … These 2,717 MRAPs will be used to enforce martial law,” one read.

That’s one of the milder of the paranoid comments that have been made in response to the numerous iterations of the story that have spread through the blogosphere and fueled its perpetuation.

By and large, most versions of the story trace DHS’s alleged purchase of used military MRAPs to a year-old press release from Navistar Defense, LLC in which the company announced a DoD retrofit contract for its MaxxPro MRAP vehicles already in military service.

But that announcement from Navistar was about its $21 million contract from the US Army Contracting Command for installation work associated with its January, 2012 order to upgrade 2,717 International MaxxPro MRAPs with a new vehicle chassis.

The press release said nothing about DHS receiving any of the MRAPs.

Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) did acquire MRAP-type vehicles from DoD four years ago, but the number the Pentagon provided these DHS agencies wasn’t anywhere near 2,717.

“ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) currently utilizes 16 mine-resistant ambush protected vehicles nationwide in the course of criminal investigations. These MRAPs, obtained in 2008, are used by HSI special agents under hazardous conditions, such as the execution of criminal search or arrest warrants for known drug trafficking organizations,” ICE spokesperson, Ross Feinstein, told Homeland Security Today.

“Additionally,” Feinstein said, “US Customs and Border Protection utilizes 16 MRAPs in border operations.”

All 32 MRAPs “operated by HSI and CBP were provided free of charge from the Department of Defense” in 2008, Feinstein said.

"[I'm] not sure what we would even do with 2,700 MRAPs; we don’t even use the [ones] we currently have every day," a DHS offical said on background.

HSI conducts criminal investigations against terrorist and other criminal organizations who threaten national security, as well as worldwide criminal enterprises who seek to exploit America's legitimate trade, travel and financial systems. HSI also enforces America's customs and immigration laws at and beyond the nation's borders.

HSI Special Response Teams (SRT) use MRAPs for high risk counter-criminal operations.

But they also use their MRAPs during emergencies. In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, HSI NewYork's SRT utilized its MRAP to pull destroyed government vehicles onto the street so they could be towed out of the area, and assisted CBP in transporting generators and other supplies.

When Hurricane Isaac caused flooding along the Gulf Coast in Sept., ICE HSI New Orleans used their MRAP to assist St.Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office and the Louisiana State Police rescue 12 individuals who could not evacuate their homes.

As for “The purchase of nearly 3,000 MRAPs referenced in recent blog posts [that DHS allegedly received from the military], they refer to acquisitions made by the US Marine Corps,” a DHS official told Homeland Security Today on background.

The Pentagon’s $47.7 billion MRAP procurement program officially ended in Oct. when the MRAP Joint Program Office was transitioned from the Marine Corps to the Army, and an MRAP Program of Record was established within each of the services and the Special Operations Command. Most MRAP fleets will be put into storage or sold to the militaries of allied nations.

The Marine Corps Systems Command at Quantico, Va. bought 2,225 Navistar MRAPs pursuant to 2008 requests from the US Army and additional contracts that were awarded in 2010 and 2011.

The Army and Marine Corps also have awarded contracts to protect their existing MRAP fleets. For example, the Marine Corps’ corrosion prevention and control office last Oct. awarded a $4.5 million contract to Transhield for 3,700 covers to protect its MRAPs from UV damage and corrosion.

In Aug. 2010, the Marine Corps announced that they were awarding a Force Protection contract to upgrade over two thousand MRAP vehicles previously purchased.

As for DHS, “DHS has no plans for future MRAP purchases … We have no plans to procure more MRAPs!” Feinstein emphasized.

An examination of DHS contracts for the past year show no purchases of MRAPs, nor do they show any Requests for Proposals indicating the department has plans to purchase large numbers of MRAPs.
Source

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Pinchegringo
This must tie into the other conspiracy that the US Gov't is buying up all these extra rounds (several billion) to 1. keep the civilian populace at bay and 2. to take the rounds out of their hands and put them back into the governments; hence the continued shortage.

Although I don't subscribe to that personally, I can see why people are upset. I'm an avid marksman and like to go shooting on the weekends but it's tough to come by *any* .223 or .45 ACP ammo.....anywhere.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

The conspiracy nutters will never believe the truth, because they have an excuse for ignoring information from any news source and any government agency.

The conspiracy nutters have gone from a minor annoyance to a major pain in the ass as they attack innocent people, such as the victims' families in the Sandy Hook tragedy in Connecticut.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Pinchegringo
@Kid - couldn't agree more.  Who is attacking the victim's families though? Hadn't heard about that.  Are you referring to the ones that said the government actually killed all those kids?  If so, those dudes are off the chart strange.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Siskiyou_Kid
Some of the Alex Jones-type conspiracy nuts were trying to say that some of the Sandy Hook survivors were actors or part of some government conspiracy to take away their guns.

I don't care if they're cuckoo for cocoa puffs, but when they start messing around with victims of a tragedy this severe, I get pissed off.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

jason5683
Banned User
Kid,
I watched the Alex Jones video and it did point out some weird behavior, but nothing more to me and people who get and go to work each day.

He was on Howard Stern recently and gave a rather interesting interview.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Siskiyou_Kid
I like Alex Jones, but he panders to the nutters who really don't need to be encouraged. I know it's his schtick and that he is generally fair in attacking both US political parties, but he it used as a source by 9 out of 10 wackadoodles on the internet.

On the other hand, I can't stand Piers Morgan, who is a sanctimonious prick, who was knee deep in the UK phone hacking mess, and who really should be deported on any excuse possible. Of course, Larry King wasn't any better.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

jason5683
Banned User
Amen Kid, Piers is a punk.

On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:01 PM, "Siskiyou_Kid [via Borderland Beat Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I like Alex Jones, but he panders to the nutters who really don't need to be encouraged. I know it's his schtick and that he is generally fair in attacking both US political parties, but he it used as a source by 9 out of 10 wackadoodles on the internet.

On the other hand, I can't stand Piers Morgan, who is a sanctimonious prick, who was knee deep in the UK phone hacking mess, and who really should be deported on any excuse possible. Of course, Larry King wasn't any better.

To unsubscribe from Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept., click here.
NAML

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

spoo
Please please please dont send Piers Morgan back to us.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

jlopez
Studies by people who would conduct those studies, if they thought about them, would show that paranoia, especially groundless paranoia, releases endorphins, monoamine oxidase and other chemicals into the bloodstream, which gives conspiracy nutters a rush. As with all addictions, the conspiracy fantasies have to be ever more extreme to get the nutter high.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

EL GUAPO
Like most wingnut conspiracies, they can't even get the bullshit correct.

This is a Maxxpro Navistar MRAP

Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

jason5683
Banned User
Like most bald meth addicts, that grind their teeth before they read the story.

NAML

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

EL GUAPO
And on the sixth day, God screwed up!
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

@Jason.  Your signature line states;  "There is no wrong answer in a free online forum. Embrace debate."

That is true with one important qualifier.  On a "free online forum" you have to play by the rules of that forum.

Perhaps you were not around when I posted this comment policy summarizing the policies Buggs sets forth on the policy page of the Forum:

 Comment Policy: This blog enforces a specific comment policy that prohibits personal attack, goading and harassment, and other malicious remarks. We will delete remarks considered inappropriate, at the discretion of the administrators. We will also delete all commercial solicitations
DD.

Your response to Guapo; Like most bald meth addicts, that grind their teeth before they read the story., falls into the "goading and harassment" category.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Cuidado
The reason they purchased so many rounds is because the more you buy the cheaper..

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

jason5683
Blow me DD.

On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:19 AM, "DD [via Borderland Beat Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

@Jason.  Your signature line states;  "There is no wrong answer in a free online forum. Embrace debate."

That is true with one important qualifier.  On a "free online forum" you have to play by the rules of that forum.

Perhaps you were not around when I posted this comment policy summarizing the policies Buggs sets forth on the policy page of the Forum:

 Comment Policy: This blog enforces a specific comment policy that prohibits personal attack, goading and harassment, and other malicious remarks. We will delete remarks considered inappropriate, at the discretion of the administrators. We will also delete all commercial solicitations
DD.

Your response to Guapo; Like most bald meth addicts, that grind their teeth before they read the story., falls into the "goading and harassment" category.
How can you tell when times are tough in Sinaloa? El Chapo had to lay off ten judges.

To unsubscribe from Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept., click here.
NAML

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

what a silly little guy Jason is thinking photos represent how we look...

He is the type of cringing mass of confusion that makes me ashamed of being a conservative, living in the grips of old school republican racism and fear tactics, yuk....where is the KKK when we need them to corral these mental rejects of society?  It was all so easy then.  But perhaps he will now use his spare time to collect food and create a bunker in preparation for doomsday....

just my thoughts...

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Jason.  you seem to thrive on turmoil.  Your comments to Guapo were what really started Chivogate.  some of them were:

**You have consumed way to much meth and have to many miles on your bald skull.  Suicide might be the only option for a handsome fella like yourself.  Truck away big boy (like your last post said you would).

**But La Pendeja, think beyond the truck driving mentality for a minute. (In neary every reply to el Guapo, Jason refers to him as Pendeja).

**Honestly, there is no fool like and old fool!"

**Ha ha contributing journalist on Road Dog Trucker. That is as beneficial as being Eric The Retard on Howard 100.

**You have consumed way to much meth and have to many miles on your bald skull.  Suicide might be the only option for a handsome fella like yourself.  Truck away big boy (like your last post said you would).

When Guapo responded "are you really that stupid", That is when Chivo told Guapo he had crossed the line.  (he didn't say anything about his buddy, you, making the statements he did about Guapo)

Chivis responded telling Guapo he had not crossed the line.  That was when Chivo went on his rant against Chivis.

We are not going to let you do that again.  You are banned for life.

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

katattx

Re: Claim DHS Putting Thousands Of Armored Personnel Vehicles On Streets Just Not True, Dept.

Eskribe
Since when are Mainstream news and govt agencies reliable and honest with their stories? i believe people should do their own research but its true that the dhs bought 2.7 billion rounds of ammo, that they purchased the tactical vehicles. To think that your government would never lie to you is naive. " google: the truth about the gulf of Tonkin" government came clean that they lied about this event, that it never happened, yet that was the cuase of the Vietnam a war, and cause of that thousand of US troops died. Dont believe everything you see on the tv and listen on the radio, do your own research.
12