Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

El Chapo suffering hallucinations and paranoia in jail, his lawyers claim

FOX News

3 hrs ago

a group of people posing for the camera: Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman is reportedly suffering from hallucinations while in jail.© Provided by Fox News Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman is reportedly suffering from hallucinations while in jail.

Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman is reportedly suffering from hallucinations, depression and paranoia due to his severe jail conditions, his lawyers claim.

The Mexican drug lord has been locked up in New York City’s Metropolitan Correctional Center since January and was reportedly not happy with his conditions. The drug kingpin was being held under “special administrative measures” in the jail, ABC News reported.

‘EL CHAPO’ SEEKING NEW LAWYERS IN US DRUG TRAFFICKING CASE

Guzman's attorneys said as a result of his restrictive conditions, the inmate was suffering physical and mental deterioration. The attorneys have requested El Chapo undergo a psychological evaluation, a court filing stated.

“Counsel has been visiting with Mr. Guzman since February and has noticed that during the last month Mr. Guzmán has suffered a marked deterioration in his mental state,” the filing stated.

The defense attorneys alleged Guzman has trouble remembering times, people and places. The drug kingpin was also suffering from hallucinations, depression and claimed the government has wiretapped his jail cell.

SEAN PENN BATTLES WITH NETFLIX OVER ‘EL CHAPO’ DOCUMENTARY SERIES

The defense attorneys argued if the alleged “deteriorations” continue, the drug kingpin could be discovered incompetent to stand trial.

Prosecutors have not commented on the allegations, NBC News reported.

“Counsel has noticed that Mr. Guzman has begun repeating himself often and sometimes forgetting what the discussion is about,” the court filing stated. “It is plain to the defense team that something is not right with Mr. Guzman.”

The filing also alleged that Guzman is experiencing headaches, throat pain and ringing in his ears.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/el-chapo-suffering-hallucinations-and-paranoia-in-jail-his-lawyers-claim/ar-AAupMsD?li=AAggFp5&ocid=iehp

Re: Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

this is not accurate. what is accurate is the lead attorney has requested an  eval
chapo's team sent me the docs yesterday and I should have something up tomorrow.  but, the court has approved his testing by a john Hopkins university hospital psychologist.   HOWEVER it is to be same as in visits with his atty.  no contact, glass partition and no privacy.

this hinders the testing process where he must take timed tests.  no to mention his reading skills are very low level.  That is what the request of the court is to allow contact for testing.  I will post the letters tomorrow on MB.

Look I don't want him to see the light of day, that is his consequence.  But I do not want the constitution to be compromised, our judicial process or human rights to be tampered with in the process of giving this person his day in court.

No matter what the US papers say recently, he has not visited with his wife.  he has seen his sister for 15 min in person and spoke 15 min on phone.  he has visited with the twins on two occasions.

here is the letter submitted to the court by the psychologist

Re: Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
Chivis:  Thanks for all the work you do on this very important case.   You are Wonder-Woman!

 It is not unusual for inmates in capital crime cases confined in high security settings to manifest psychiatric  symptoms. Board Certified Forensic psychiatrists understand this as part of their work, and Mr. Guzman will NOT be able to claim that he is  too "crazy" for adjudication because  he "hallucinates" (hears voices, sees things),  plays with his feces, or whatever.   If Chapo acts or claims that he is suicidal, he will like be "4 pointed" to a cot in a constant observation special cell....NOT fun at all!  Thereafter, he will be under extreme measures that he not cheat justice.... so, this is actually a very dumb idea.

 In these kinds of forensic evaluations for Chapo, there are special tests devised to rule out certain kinds of mental illnesses that might afford Mr. Guzman escape from justice.

 As is common knowledge, many "new" inmates in all kinds of cases suffer from depression, insomnia, guilt, remorse, shame, combined with oppressive conditions of confinement and little social contact with caring others. If you've never been jailed for even a day or two, you might not understand this.

The best that Mr. Guzman might get is a stay in the prison psychiatric unit for treatment of situational stress symptoms he complains about.  If Mr. Guzman makes it to the psych unit, he will undergo more focused clinical observations and evaluations to nail down any diagnosis.

Finally, even if Chapo does get a diagnosis of some legitimate mental illness (depression, Bi-Polar, etc.) this does not guarantee that he will escape justice at all.  Prisons, in the USA, are said to harbor about 20-25% of population with some form of "mental illness" (many are drug abuse induced or secondary to brain trauma).

IMO, I think, Mr. Guzman is Fuked if he thinks he is going to cheat justice by malingering psych symptoms!

Mexico-Watcher

Glad you chimed in on this as you know a lot more then the usual MSM reporters as you are in touch with the horse's mouth (Chapo's lawyers).Thanks for the update. Mexico Watcher added some more enlightment on how these possible mental issues wouldn't affect him going to trial and what may happen.I also wondered after reading that article that there would be no motive for the lawyers continuing if he was prevented from going to trial so why would they even suggest that?

Re: Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

I don't think it is that.  but of course the old saying of throw all the shit onto the wall and see what sticks, comes to mind.

But chapo has a couple of ongoing issues.  and long term.  one is the auditory hallucinations.  Coming from his radio that is without batteries.  that has been going on a while.  There are several long term studies about mental illness and isolation.  sure some/most is hype, but what he is going thru is VERY unusual. He speaks with no one.  not even allowed a priest.

 I am sure you are getting your info from the press.  Eduardo is not saying Chapo is not mentally fit for adjudication.  He is saying that there needs to be a comprehensive eval to determine what is occurring and the issue be treated...soon.

The doctor is very respected and I am sure will not put her reputation on the line for a world famous capo.

My op is he is having issues.  I think however it is from constant lack of sleep and depression.  there are remedies for both.

Kye0001
Is his treatment of extreme solitary confinement common in a us maximum security prison?  I'm not judging whether he deserves life in jail or not but the info we get in the uk is that he's being kept terribly.  Do they do this with all of the max security prisoners before trial?

Re: Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

ok first things first.  I do not have any bit of love for el chapo, and he deserves to leave prison in a pine box.  so when I research and write about the case, it is characterless, no face, no name, just "any defendant USA"

Readers think and react on emotion.   I don't.

That said, solitary confinement is no unusual in cases of potential escape, or escape history, or an inmate with violent tendencies etc.  BUT what has occurred in this case it is very, very rare.  The SAMS used was design not long ago for terrorists.  i is being used on chapo.  Just imagine not being able to conference with your attorney in private, or even in the same room.  It literally abolishes all rights and privileges given to other inmates including those in solitary confinement.  I have written in dept about it on main page so I won't repeat it and besides it is way too long.  go there and use the search bar.

Kye0001
Thanks I will.

When do Chapo's lawyers reasonably expect to go to trial?

Re: Chapo's defence lawyer says Chapo could be found incompetent to stand trial due to deteriorating mental and physical conditions

el Jesse James
I think this kinda ties into the treatment of captured Al Qaeda/Gitmo/etc with us not declaring them prisoners of war while also not treating them as criminals really either. Basically a lot of the same stuff we did/do with the terrorists is also being done with Chapo... why he aint treated just like any other captured cartel capo eludes me.

Carlos Lehder, the Rodriguez Orejuela bros, Chupeta Ramirez, Garcia Abrego, Cardenas Guillen, La Barbie, Alfredo B.L., etc and many many more.. every single one of them were some pretty serious big fish and in certain cases arguably higher echelon narcos than Chapo Guzman ever was. While no doubt ending up on the receiving end of the long d!(k of the law, sometimes without lube ie Alfredo Beltran... I cant think of any that were outright treated as terrorists for the most part ala Chapo. Call me crazy but IMO it is most certainly a reasonable argument that Chapo has not been allowed proper defense seeing as how any attorney meetings aint private and are most likely watched VERY closely/every word spoken ending up in a recording somehow somewhere..

Hes pretty much the most f*(ked dude in the world at this point LOL. I wonder if he worked out a deal with the Mexican gov't in which his sons remain untouched in exchange for his silence..?? Wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how it don't even sound like theres been any attempts to go after them.

PS: any updates/news on any of the other narcos/juniors/witnesses who are locked up here in USA? Rey Zambada, Mayito Gordo, Vicentillo, Chino Antrax, La Barbie, Flores bros,..etc?