Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Mica
NY Post Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán’s family members are refusing to cough up attorney’s fees unless they hear the kingpin himself order the payment, it was revealed in court Thursday. Guzmán​ ​–​ ​in what would have been his first public words since his extradition in Jan. 2017– stood shakily, clutching a piece of paper in his hand, before prosecutor Andrea Goldbarg interjected and said she was worried he’d use the opportunity to pass secret messages. “He desires to speak to the court directly,” defense attorney A. Eduardo Balarezo said​ in Brooklyn federal court Thursday​, as his client was overheard telling his interpreter in Spanish​,​ “I am sick for all the situation.” “He wants his family to know they should pay his attorney,” Balarezo continued. “Obviously he wants me to take my fees, and sometimes people need to hear that directly from the horse’s mouth.” “I don’t see why his family would disbelieve you, with him sitting next to you,” ​Judge Brian Cogan said, as Guzmán blew kisses to his ​ex-​beauty queen wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, who sat in the gallery with their 6-year-old twin girls. “The persons we are dealing with don’t always rely on the attorney’s word. That’s all I’m saying,” Balarezo said, shrugging. When asked outside court who he was referencing, the lawyer deadpanned: “​T​hey know who they are.” He clarified “friends” of his client had made a partial payment, but other fees were outstanding. In court, the attorney also made it very clear his client intended to cut no deals or cooperate with the government. Balarezo, when later asked for whom that message was intended, responded “The people who it was intended for know who they are.” El Chapo also wanted to personally speak to the judge regarding his restrictive jail conditions, which Balarezo characterized as “preventing [Guzmán] from obtaining the defense that he wants.” The Sinaloa Cartel leader has been vocal in court filings about his conditions while awaiting trial — saying they are worse than in Colorado’s notorious Supermax prison — with his lawyer Thursday saying his client’s health is continuing to deteriorate. “He vomits all the time now, every day,” Balarezo said. While Cogan ultimately declined to let the kingpin speak, he said Balarezo could file a letter on behalf of hid client and he would possible allow the accused drug lord to address the court during his next appearance in April. During the brief hearing, Cogan also questioned the late trial date. The proceedings were originally slotted to begin in April, but were later pushed to a date in late September. When asked why the late date, Balarezo quipped “In short, my wife would kill me,” to chuckles from the gallery. Cogan was less sympathetic. After asking how long the couple had been together–20 years–Cogan responded “she wont” and scheduled jury selection for Sept. 5. Cogan previously ruled the jury will be kept anonymous and partially sequestered during the three to four month trial. Guzmán is due back in court April 17. Aispuro — who was inexplicably accompanied to court by her husband’s past counsel, Federal Defender Michelle Gelernt — did not speak as she left the courthouse.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Kye0001
If his condition really is deteriorating and he's throwing up regularly I can't help but wonder if he's been diagnosed with something terminal prior to entering jail...just throwing it out there.  Do they fully healthscreen prisoners upon entering jail?  I doubt it.  What if he knows he'll be dead before part of his sentence and is trying to take the heat off his family?

Maybe he's trying to get the last laugh thinking the US will be accused of killing him or cruelty?  All eyes will be on this trial from across the world.   He's done a pretty good job of evading capture for years, what if he set them up and not the other way round lol.  I'm probably mad, I've just got a very cunning family member and can guess how the family member would do it.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Mica
I am sure he receives better medical treatment in the US than he did in Mexico.  IMO he probably has high anxiety and is coming to understand that he can’t exactly buy his freedom.  He no longer enjoys an array of prostitutes, fine dinning and the position of no longer having whatever he wants, when he wants.  He’s not Nelson Mandela, if he dies before trial nothing will happen, no consequences and it would save the US a lot of tax dollars.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

this is twisting the facts.  and such a comment about Balarezo could get him harmed

of course he wants payment!

but he is working all the same

He sent me the letter chapo wrote today.  to the court.  see it on main page.  is is revealing

see the family needs to know chapos wishes.  so chapo made it clear through the letter of the court

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Mica
I just read the letter on the MB.  It’s a well crafted letter with good points in Chapos favor or at least grounds for a future appeal.  The NY post story saying the people who need to know will know from the lawyer looks something out of The Godfather.  Imagine the tricks to funnel clean cash to a lawyer in the US with all the surveillance. If anything, law enforcement should have let him tell who ever and follow the trail.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

That letter kind of hurt me, but that is the game, and the DOJ isn't giving an inch to him.  They will see him die in prison.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Kye0001
Just read the full letter and it makes sense now.  No matter what crimes someone's accused of they have the right to a fair trial.  Its meant to be innocent until proven guilty and not the other way round.  I watched a documentary on Isis and the US has accused terrorists kept in the same conditions for years, no trial.  There's been a few found innocent, they were young teens taken off the streets and then found guilty years later.

If they're found guilty after trial then lock them up for life, no problem but extradition to the US and a expensive trial is pointless if its not a fair trial.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

the terrorists that languish without due process are in Gitmo.  If they are imprisoned in the U.S. mainland they are given due process as is the law and constitution. that is why people do not want gitmo closed.

these harsh restrictions are called SAMS and is VERY controversial. They have only been enacted since one month of the 911 acts of terror, and were designed for terrorists.  SAMS virtually strips a person of his/her rights.  Chapo can not even speak to his atty with being monitored and recorded.

People may not care about chapo, but should.  compromising even one person compromises our system.

It is a slippery slope.  already it has gone from "for terrorists" to now drug trafficker.  and remember chapo has not been charged with any crimes of violence. and fact is he has never had a conviction in Mexico although spending years in prison.

He is not allowed to speak to the press either.  So with anonymous sequestrated jury, how is it possible that any juror would not think of him as an animal out the box?

and it is unnecessary, the gov has a mountain of evidence that will put him away for life.  But with the game playing, there could be a successful appeal.  that would result in a deal that could give him a pathway to freedom one day.

I have suggested that Emma begin giving interviews to humanize her husband to the American public.  that may not effect conviction but may help with sentencing.

I am told she will begin giving interviews but at this moment she is not.

Re: Chapo’s Attorney wants his family to know they need to PAY UP!

Kye0001
There's been alleged terrorists held in MCC and then later freed after help groups intervened as they were innocent chivis. They were held in the same conditions, we get quite a lot of documentaries here about them here to show both sides of the argument.  I'll find them if you're interested?

You're completely right about chapo, and any other person accused of crime.  I'm aware of SAMS a little and its very much against my values.