Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

mr.browntown956

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/nyregion/joaquin-guzman-loera-el-chapo-mexican-drug-lord.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

In the first legal attack on the international conspiracy indictment he is facing, Joaquín Guzmán Loera, the accused Mexican drug lord known as El Chapo, filed court papers on Thursday claiming that the Mexican government improperly extradited him to Brooklyn, where he is scheduled to stand trial next year on charges of being the biggest narcotics trafficker in the world.

The papers filed in Federal District Court in Brooklyn were largely a procedural gambit and did not question the heart of the case against Mr. Guzmán, whom prosecutors have accused of killing thousands of people while running the Sinaloa drug cartel and shipping, over decades, at least 200 tons of cocaine into the United States in an ever-changing fleet of trucks, planes, yachts, container ships and submersibles. Instead, the papers focused on the process by which Mexico arranged for Mr. Guzmán’s prosecution in Brooklyn, where he arrived in January under heavily armed guard after being flown from his homeland in a small police jet.

According to Mr. Guzmán’s lawyers, the public defenders Michelle Gelernt and Michael Schneider, Mexican officials initially agreed to extradite Mr. Guzmán to face charges only in Texas or California, two of the seven federal districts where had been indicted in absentia. But on Jan. 19, the day he was placed on the police jet, Mexico suddenly consented to send him to New York, the lawyers said, issuing a waiver to what is known as the Rule of Specialty, which requires defendants to be tried only on the specific charges for which they are extradited.

Ms. Gelernt and Mr. Schneider questioned in their papers how it was feasible for Mexican officials to have followed proper protocols and obtained the waiver within hours of Mr. Guzmán being flown out of Mexico. They also questioned whether Brooklyn prosecutors should be allowed to proceed with attempts to seize from him $14 billion in alleged drug profits when, as they claim, these forfeiture allegations were not included in the original extradition papers.

Re: Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

What's Chapo going to do,sue the Mexican government?Good luck or does he think the US will send him back?Good luck with that 1.Somebody probably paid authorities more $$ to get rid of Chapo.Maybe CJNG?

Re: Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

LuckyLuciano
I don't think any cartel had anything to do with his extradition. It was just his time, and he sealed his fate when he escaped the second time. No amount of money could keep him out of US court after that debacle. Like any and every illicit pawn used by the USA and allies, his usefulness had an expiration date and he should have known that, but I'm sure he realizes it now. As far as the defense goes, he's got to try something. Any reasonable person knows that he's got absolutely no chance, but a lawyer has to try something

Re: Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

el Jesse James
He ought to just pull a Mochomo and die a honorable death while thumbing his nose at the potential snitches lined up and not give them the chance to rat on him. Just live out the rest of his days as king of whatever prison they send em to and know he did more than most, for better or worse. Probably the most screwed person on the planet basically, only thing left is to take it like a man on your own 2 feet.

Im just ready to see Z40 get extradited and go on trial. Certainly we can get more details about Guzman Decena than just a short paragraph and faceless picture. The man started a criminal empire and we dont even know what he looked like...

Re: Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

no....it is about throwing out the extradition
the law and treaty is clear about the waiver

I am writing an article that will explain it to you further.  I am using court documents of chapos.  but now he has mochomo's atty....complicated because mochomo had the better case with the extradition.

Re: Chapo Files W Court Questioning Legality of Extradition

Mica
@Chivis
I guess mochomo will not be testifying against Chapo then.