Cartels/Gangs, and the Chapo situation

303
I have been coming to this site for year. Love it hear, and it has provided me with great reading, and my heart goes out to Mexico.

I think one thing people get confused here is what a cartel actually is. After seeing how people are talking about Chapo and who is behind this attack.

A big misconception that people have about cartels is that everyone in these cartels gets along, or that they are one group. In fact one of the characteristics of a cartel is that they are often times many different gangs/groups that come together under one banner. This is important because if the leader of one of the groups goes away, dies, or whatever it can mess up the balance of the cartel. The way I think of it is like this, and I think will help a lot of Americans or people who do not really know much about cartels; think of groups like Chapo, Mayo, Lic, etc as their own organization that then when they work together are called CDS. This is why it is entirely possible it was an "inside" job as far the the cartel goes, but it wouldn't be a real "inside" job as I do not think any of chapos people would give him up. A cartel is a group of gangs, it doesn't mean they get along....or don't have disagreements. In fact, I would point to the fact that they arrange for their kids to be married as business decisions as evidence that there is drama within the groups.

Re: Cartels/Gangs, and the Chapo situation

Siskiyou_Kid
Thanks for mentioning an issue that is often misunderstood. In the common lexicon, a 'cartel' is a group of businesses or industry producers who meet and set quotas on production or manufacturing and agree to set prices and methods of sharing distribution.

As you say, the term 'cartel' with regards to organized crime groups in Mexico is not a very accurate description. As you say, it is less a cohesive combination of criminal groups, than various groups or families that gather together under one banner for operations which may involve diverse income sources. CDS is a good example of a traditional federation of families that exemplify what we call a Mexican 'cartel', while the Zetas and various CDG splinter groups are more like franchises of disorganized and uncohesive groups that lack a vertical structure.

However, with the CDS federation, along with other groups like CJNG and BLO splinter groups, such as Guerreros Unidos, there is far more to the story than families or criminal groups united under one banner. There is an entire cog of government officials who are paid massive amounts of money for their assistance or ignorance, legitimate companies that launder funds [something like 60% of legitimate commerce in Mexico is likely involved in laundering cash], military commanders who protect transportation and production hubs, and mid-level distributors who are completely off the radar, while earning tens of millions of dollars annually, often working with multiple and often competing 'cartels'.

However, with the attack on Chapo's mother's home and the unique situation of the remote reaches of Badiraguato, it is nearly impossible for an outside group with a command of that size to [somebody said  150] to enter the area, except with ample warning when it's the marina. This appears to be an inter-familial dispute, which could include BLO, but it's related to the murder of Chapo's half-brother and the massacre of Guano's people in the immediate area.

Re: Cartels/Gangs, and the Chapo situation

303
I figured it was some kind of family vendetta. Can you explain who is on who's side here? Who are the families? And how do they fit together.

Re: Cartels/Gangs, and the Chapo situation

Siskiyou_Kid
Somebody said it's Guanitos vs Chapitos, and it would make sense neither of them would mess with grandma. Others have said it has to do with Los Salazars at war with Memo's men in Sonora, but I don't think they could bring an armed command all the way to La Tuna without being challenged.

Re: Cartels/Gangs, and the Chapo situation

deelucky1
They both have the marina on their sides of course not the same battalion that's how they got in. those numbers are a lie to the public .