Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Athena
CBC News
Last Updated: Apr 1, 2013 11:56 AM ET

A Canadian warship has made a major drug bust after intercepting a boat transporting approximately $100-million worth of drugs in the Indian Ocean.

The Department of National Defence says HMCS Toronto seized around 500 kilograms of heroin from a boat on Friday. The exact location of the incident was undisclosed because it's part of an ongoing Canadian Forces counter-terrorism operation.

The Department of National Defence says the Canadian ship HMCS Toronto seized around 500 kilograms of heroin, shown here, from a boat in the Indian Ocean. (Cpl. Malcolm Byers/Department of National Defence/Canadian Press)

"This is a big blow against some serious drug networks and Canadians should be proud that their sailors were central to a really unprecedented seizure," Chris Alexander, parliamentary secretary to the minister of defence, told CBC News.

HMCS Toronto's commanding officer told CBC News his first crew tracked the ship overnight, which was flying an unidentifiable flag, before boarding it.

"Very quickly on we ascertained they were not being truthful about their mission, their voyage, so we continued on with a full search of the vessel and discovered the drugs," Cmdr. David Patchell said.

The drugs were found in 500 bags after a naval boarding party searched the vessel.

Patchell noted this as one of the largest heroin seizures on the seas and said a large portion of the world's narcotics originate in southwest Asia and "very possibly these drugs could have ended up on Canadian streets."

Alexander told CBC News that Canadian and Australian vessels had been working together all week to interrupt drug trafficking in the Arabian Sea.

"Several boats were hailed and board," he said, adding that the boat was likely carrying Afghan heroin destined for a port in Africa.

The drugs seized by the crew was destroyed aboard the ship but a small sample has been kept for future investigations.

Canada's naval ships have been patrolling the Indian Ocean and Horn of Africa since the September 11 attacks.

HMCS Toronto left Halifax in January. It is currently part of a international naval task force patrolling the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean.

"There's definitely a link between these narcotics and terrorism and by stopping narcotics on the high seas, especially in this quantity, we know that the financial nodes of terrorism are being attacked," said Patchell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY3pYnEcceA

CBC Article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/03/31/heroin-bust-warship.html

Re: Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Havana
Hi Athena:

Wonder how that came about? Bet there may be more to it.

Re: Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Athena
Hi Havana:

I agree that there is probably more to the story than what is being shared - we probably won't ever get the whole story.

The Canadians and Australians were conducting searches for drugs for the past few days so someone had intelligence on this shipment.

I have read/heard various reports that both the Taliban as well as Al Qaeda grown and sell heroin to support their acts of terror and that Al Qaeda has a presence in Somalia so I wonder if the drugs were bound for there.

I know the article stated that they are part of an anti-terrorism task force, however I wonder if they are also part of the anti-piracy group as well as making sure that Al Qaeda (& Iran) don't get their hands on the wrong things.

Re: Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Baggy
Sigh.. when are people gonna learn the only ones allowed to move that much dope are the united states military and lacia sheeesh.

Re: Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Baggy
and here a little info for you Athena,

During the Taliban rule, Afghanistan saw a bumper opium crop of 4,500 metric tons in 1999,.However, in July 2000, Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar, collaborating with the United Nations to eradicate heroin production in Afghanistan, declared that growing poppies was un-Islamic, resulting in one of the world's most successful anti-drug campaigns. As a result of this ban, opium poppy cultivation was reduced by 91% from the previous year's estimate of 82,172 hectares. The ban was so effective that Helmand Province, which had accounted for more than half of this area, recorded no poppy cultivation during the 2001 season. The Bush administration paid a 43 million dollar 'eradication' reward payment to the Taliban in 2001.
However, some people believe that certain parties benefited from the price increase during the ban. Some even believe it was a form of Market manipulation on the part of certain drug lords. Dried opium, unlike most agricultural products, can easily be stored for long periods without refrigeration or other expensive equipment. With huge stashes of opium stored in secret hideaways, certain groups involved in the drug trade were in theory able to make huge personal profits during the price spikes after the 2000 ban and the chaos following

So in other words, Bush who comes from a long line of drug dealers, Decided, fuckit, Why just increase my profits by having them cut production when i can have my military assassins take the entire fucking ShOP!

http://www.freecelecastillo.com/

Search for info on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Seal  <-- that guy, Its laughable if anyone thinks the game is any diff this time around, currently the ''taliban'' and Al-Ciada are producing enough heroin in afpak to feed the worlds habit TWICE, And there is somthing like 10,000 tonnes unaccounted for. it hasn't hit the street and it hasn't been eradicated, Its probably sitting in a bunker under fuckin langley. lol.

Re: Canadian warship crew seizes $100M of heroin in Indian Ocean

Pinchegringo
Always wondered why they make those busts at sea instead of following the chain of possession to find out who is offloading/picking up the drugs.

So now someone is out $100M and the same guy who was scheduled to pick up the original load will now just pick up this new load.  What was solved here exactly?