Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

Canadian man killed in Mexico

Mairin Prentiss

3 hrs ago
    
View of a sign at the entrance of the town of Progreso© JUAN MABROMATA View of a sign at the entrance of the town of Progreso  A Canadian man was killed on Friday in an apartment in Mexico, police said.

   Bruce Allen, 70, of Dartmouth, N.S., was found by his partner in their vacation apartment with multiple stab wounds to his neck and chest, a family member said.

   Allen was renting an apartment in Progreso, a small beach city near Merida in the Yucatan Peninsula.

   Progreso city police said one person was arrested in connection with the death Friday evening.

   Mexican federal police are conducting the homicide investigation, said Progreso police commander Carlos Burgos.

   An autopsy is being performed, Burgos said.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadian-man-killed-in-mexico/ar-BBW9wOC?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

do you know how many Canadians die of homicide in mexico each year?

of 20m Americans who visit mx each year 200 or less die there of all causes, drowning and ODs are the front runners

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

stevectpa
Puerto Progreso.....I lived in the next beach town to the west (Puerto Chelem) for about 6 years and in Merida longer as well and crime like this rarely occurred.  I still travel to Yucatan frequently and have no problem walking around Centro late at night.  Very large Canadian population there...beach and city.   Was on way home to Chelem from Progreso about midnight one night because I couldn't get internet at the time in Chelem and was flagged down by a state police officer in a dark area approaching a bridge .  I pulled to the side and he walked over, then asked me if I had jumper cables to help him start his vehicle.

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

Parro
In October of 2010, there were 112 Canadians killed in accidents, murders, drownings or suicides since the drug war started seriously in 2/2006.  From that number 15 Canadians were murdered or died in suspicious deaths.  Seems most were falling off balconies in certain resorts, hit and run against an elderly couple, etc., in other words questionable deaths were about in 5.5 years , less than 3 per year.

This past year, a Vancouver gangster Jodh Singh Manj, 31, was gunned down after leaving a gym in Santa Fe, a neighborhood in Mexico City.  He left his Colombian wife.  He was a member of the United Nations Ganga a direct enemy of the Wolf Pack (former members of the Hell's Angels). They fought over the  cocaine distribution ring in Western Canada.

August 24, 2018 saw the demise of Wolfpack member Nabil Alkhalil, shot to death in a luxury car dealership  in a wealthy suburb of Mexico City.

Just the past August 17, 2018 West Vancouver's Guiseppe Buggs, a Hell's Angel associate, was fatally shot in a posh shopping center in Guadalajara.

Shooting of Canadian expatriate, 78 years of age, happened this past February 2019 outside of Acapulco.

So the information is scant from 2010 to 2017, but we might see a couple of topics here;

Most Canadians murdered are either drunk, visiting bars after hours in fringe neighborhoods or dealing, in nicer areas of major cities.

For the average Canadian, rare in the case of the elderly expatriate, not dangerous.  Crime, is Cartel Vs. Cartel, Cartel vs. Journalism, Cartel against the political establishment they don't choose , Cartel against Law Enforcement and in the rare case, Cartel vs. tourist, expatriate and traveler.  Should still heed the rules;

No partying after hours
In by dark
Aware of your surroundings
Courtesy

With this, I'm still good to go.

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

Interesting info you found there Parro.So it's probably very similar to the stats Chivis had on Americans.It doesn't really matter what tourist it is,Brit,Austrailan,American or Canadian it's probably all similar.I did read somewhere that 2 million Canadians go to Mexico every year (it's everybody's warm weather destination by a long shot compared to other countries).And also 500,000 Canadians that winter there but I didn't know how many deaths there were.We have to keep everything in perspective as in the targeted ppl. you listed above,cartel on cartel,cartel on journalist or cop,etc. rather than on tourist although occasionally it happens (very occasionally).I think what the main concern is being in the wrong place at the wrong time and of course not being able to recognize it like crossfire in a shootout or sitting on a barstool or dining in a restaurant and the wrong guy is in there and somebody wants to waste him right then and there as the cartel on cartel is getting more brazen.
As a matter of fact Mexico is calling again to me for another road trip which I'm long overdue.My buddy asks when you want to do Baja again (and again and again over and over-can't get enough,it's like my drug)!My son's girlfriend just learned to ride and she's heard all my Mexico stories and seen the pictures and has read this blog.She's pretty adventurous like me and and asking when,when and when?She's never even been to the USA let alone Mexico.Pretty sure I'll be driving to Mexico 2019!Looking forward to it immensely!Also it seems Mexicans are feeling the insecurity in these cities.These are some pretty high numbers statistically of how they are feeling.
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/eight-cities-where-citizens-live-in-fear/?utm_source=Mexico+News+Today&utm_campaign=20729aef97-MNT+jan18-2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f1536a3787-20729aef97-349512513

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

in six years:

According to Foreign Affairs Canada, 112 Canadians have been killed in accidents, murders, drownings or suicides since Mexico started an aggressive war against its various drug cartels.

From that number, 15 Canadians were murdered or died in suspicious deaths.

from that number only averages 2.2 per year of murders or suspicious deaths.

not much

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

Chava
Shooting of Canadian expatriate, 78 years of age, happened this past February 2019 outside of Acapulco.

Parro?

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

Parro
Thanks Chava for catching it.

It was an 84 year old Swiss citizen who was killed in Acapulco during a robbery in December 2018 .

The murder I was thinking about, was the Canadian expatriate, 78, who was shot and killed in February 2019 while out on a walk in Chapala, Jalisco. According to a witness on social media, he was shot and after falling, was shot in the head.

I don't know if you remember the story of the Canadian lady, 68, who used Taekwondo to resist a robbery.  She had some serious black eyes.

Canadian visitor Marianne Clift was alone in a vacation home that she and her husband had rented in Bucerias when she was awoken in the early hours of February 18 by a man choking her in her bed.

The retired elementary school teacher and church organist, who had studied taekwondo nearly 20 years prior, said she started “kicking like mad” and scratching and jabbing at the assailant’s face and eyes, but could not cry out because her attacker’s grip was so strong.

Then, Clift said she heard a woman’s voice and the man straddling her responding in Spanish, leading Clift to believe that there were two people in the house. When her attacker briefly loosened his grip, she yelled for help — and then she was knocked out by a punch in the face.

When Clift regained consciousness, her attackers were gone, along with her cellphone, money, passport, identification, bank cards, jewelry and keys to the vacation home. Clift later wondered if she had perhaps been left for dead.

Staggering to the bathroom, Clift saw in the mirror that her eye and cheek were turning purple and blood was gushing from a cut on her cheek.

“I realized I had to get help.”

Unable to open the vacation complex’s front gate without her keys, Clift banged on another tenant’s door. She then walked to the home of a cousin who had a home nearby, where she called police.

Clift received six stitches at the hospital emergency room to close the knife wound on her cheek and was also treated for a second knife wound on her elbow and serious bruising on her chest and arm.

Investigators later told Clift that the attacker had climbed over the fence and used a screwdriver to break in through the locked front door of the home. She recalled that when the police saw the amount of blood in the house, the case was escalated to an attempted murder and robbery.

Clift said that news of her ordeal was especially hard on her family and her husband, who had flown back to their home in Sarnia, Canada, on a short business trip the night before the attack.

Clift found a safe place to stay while she filled out police reports and the Canadian embassy helped her secure a temporary passport and fly home.

Though her stitches came out on Monday and the black eye has faded, Clift’s neck and jaw remain severely bruised from the assault.

A frequent visitor to Mexico, Clift said that up until the attack she and her husband had felt safe in Bucerias, a town of about 17,000, and that their rented vacation home’s 12-foot fence and the proximity of a cousin’s house nearby contributed to their sense of security.

Clift said she does not expect the police to find her attackers.

Back home in Sarnia with her family, Clift said that recounting the story has often led her to laughter as well as tears.

“We’re a tough, resilient family,” the self-described “warrior woman” said.

“I have nothing but gratitude to be alive.”

Yesterday a Canadian expat was killed in Progresso, Yucatan.  Very unusual story, appeared to be gay and possibly not robbery, but locals are questioning the motive.

Refer to Proceso Hoy.

Later amigo -

Re: Canadian senior man found murdered in Mexico

I kind of think this might either be a robbery or I had a gut feeling for some reason a gay lover's tryst that got out of hand like Parro mentioned above but the culprit has been charged with murder.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/homicide-charge-laid-in-stabbing-death-of-canadian-man-in-mexico/ar-BBWd0li?li=AAggFp5&ocid=iehp