Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

Food for thought published by the blog "Grits for Breakfast" (Like the pun?)

The Center for American Progress, reported the Texas Tribune, has issued a report on a theme Grits has frequently harped on: The economic absurdity of calls for mass deportation of undocumented immigrants. According to the CAP analysis, "if as few as 15 percent of Texans living in the state illegally were removed at once, it would mean an annual $11.7 billion loss for Texas’ gross state product, increasing to more than $77 billion if all 1.65 million estimated illegal immigrants were removed from the state." Further, "The study also estimates that removing the illegal immigrants would result in a loss of about $14.5 billion in annual tax revenue for the state, about 7.6 percent of the total tax revenue."

Thank heavens somebody crunched those numbers. As Grits wrote back in April, "other common words for immigrants, unauthorized or not, are 'customers,' 'employees,' even 'small business owners,' and for the most part the Texas business community, at least, believes we need more of all of those. Imagine the economic impact if tomorrow all the nativists' fantasies were fulfilled and Texas suddenly had 1.6 million fewer consumers." Now we don't have to imagine: The Center for American Progress has calculated it. See an infographic giving more Texas-specific data below the jump.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.mx/2012/08/calculating-economic-impact-of-mass.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=79553&utm_campaign=0

Re: Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

JesusTheMoose
On anything from the Center for American Progress, buyer beware. It's a Soros funded group headed by political operative,  John Podesta. Since when do think tanks have polical operatives as directors? An academic wasn't up to the job?
The only object of liberty is life. -- G. K. Chesterton

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

@Chivo, I don't agree with your analogy of "Chapo has smuggled in 100 tons of coke so its so much we arent going to do anything about it".  Smuggling 100 tons of coke is a major felony with a probable life sentence.

US code (8 U.S.C. §1325(a) defines illegal entry as "someone who “enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers”

The punishment for that "crime" is " a fine of $50 to $250 for every individual attempt.  Probably less than the fine you paid last time you got a speeding ticket.

I am not saying that we not try to stop illegal entry, though I do believe we are in dire need to overall the whole immigration policy.  What I am saying is seems to me that destroying peoples lives and damaging the US economy by mass deportations of people with roots and families here because they broke a law that would have been a $50 fine.  Saying they are criminals is the same as saying you are a criminal if violated the speed limit or jaywalked at a traffic signal or smoked in a public place.

Re: Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Calculating the economic impact of mass deportation

Frontera
Illegal immigration laws are on the books, but the government will not allow them to be totally enforced.

The report is skewed and does not address all issues.  Factoring in the cost of additional social services would alter the real life facts of this.