Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

Bjeff
This post was updated on .

Newly elected Tamaulipas governor, Francisco Javier Garcia Cabeza de Vaca was arrested in McAllen in 1986 for armed assault, something that would make him pretty unelectable in most Western democracies. However, this is Mexico, and from what I understand from the article I have linked to underneath, he belonged to a criminal police group called the Palma Group, headed by infamous Guillermo Gonzalez Calderoni, assassinated in McAllen in 2003, a time where the police controlled the DTOs to a certain degree, instead of the other way around like today.

Cabeza de Vaca has installed Armando Arteaga Chavez, perhaps the only survivor of the Palma Group, to set the crime strategy for Tamaulipas. The article is indicating that we might be looking at a situation where the state wants to control crime and fight "crime with more crime". Is it the end of the Gulf Cartel as we know it?

Source:
http://valortamaulipeco.blogspot.no/2017/03/cabeza-de-vaca-con-vieja-escuela-de.html

Re: Cabeza de Vaca to rewrite the narco map of Tamaulipas

Wow unreal!2 totally different worlds but the same.He looks like street gang kid and now a suit.night and day.You wouldn't think it was the same guy.

Re: Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

el Jesse James
I remember deelucky saying something like we would start seeing police cartels and stuff like that. Maybe this could be the beginning of something like that.

Re: Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

RGV AG
Bjeff wrote

[...]

Boss, I went to High School and graduated with Francisco, that armed assault stuff you mention is BS, it was a high school goof around prank that ended up with butt hurt feelings that led to his arrest.  He was arrested, but not charged and not convicted of anything when the dust settled.  Francisco might not be the snow flake of innocence, no Mexican politician is, but he is a decent man and father and has always had his heart in the right place.   There are thousands of Mexican politicians, hundreds of thousands, that are way worse than anything Francisco could possibly be.

Just remember this, Francisco is a US born citizen whose family, and him personally, owns quite a bit of property and has business interests in the US.  If he is twisted up crooked he has a lot to lose.  For the US Feds it won't be difficult at all to hammer his ass in a big way.  Prior to his taking office he was "summoned" to Washington and "educated" about his reality, and he told me this personally and I know it to be fact from another friend/classmate that works for the Feds.

Re: Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

Bjeff
This post was updated on .
Good to hear, Rio Grande. I am really glad you came forward with your version. I wish there were some sources that could substantiate either your claim or Valortamaulipeco's. Do you have any sources to back it up? Could you go more into detail on what prank you are talking about.

It was first published in January 2005 by Proceso and I was not able to uncover exactly what the charges were, but found this:
Cabeza de Vaca is registered in the Texas criminal record with the number 03645237, and file number 769150EA, opened by the judicial authorities of that US state when 18 years old was signed by the FBI on charges of committing the crime of firearms in a vehicle. The criminal acts carried out by Francisco Javier García Cabeza de Vaca took place at 19:10 hours on February 19, 1986 in the parking lot of Plitt Twin Cinemas, located at 10 North Street in the city of McAllen, Texas.

The case would have remained unpunished unless the victims Emilio Rodríguez and Diana Ramírez dared to report it and the case was identified with No. 86-4632 for the crime of armed robbery, committed by the well-known gang of the Petrolera (Reynosa), dedicated to car theft.

Source:
http://www.proceso.com.mx/218297/acusa-alcalde-panista-al-gobernador-de-tamaulipas-de-orquestar-una-campana-en-su-contra-segunda-y-u
http://www.cronica.com.mx/notas/2005/217923.html

Re: Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

Tully
Here's a 2009 Proceso article that, I think, serves as a source for some of the allegations against García Cabeza de Vaca.

It provides a case # and the time and date of the incident that led to his arrest:

"El expediente asienta que a las 19:10 horas del 9 de febrero de 1986 “el señor Francisco Javier García Cabeza de Vaca (número de detenido 33696) y otros tres sujetos despojaron a dos personas de nombre Emilio Rodríguez y Diana Ramírez de diversas armas que transportaban en un vehículo. El atraco ocurrió en un estacionamiento de los cinemas gemelos Plitt”, en la calle 10 norte de la ciudad de McAllen, Texas.

García Cabeza de Vaca fue detenido el 2 de septiembre de ese mismo año y procesado penalmente junto con sus tres cómplices: Antonio Barba Villanueva, El Toño Barba, quien fue asesinado el 20 de agosto de 1999; Alfredo Cerda Ramos, El Paya, ejecutado presuntamente por el crimen organizado el 9 de octubre de 1998, y Alberto Gómez, La Chona, acribillado en 2000."

Says on 2/9/86 he along with three others stole some firearms from two other guys who were traveling with the guns in a vehicle in the parking lot of a movie theatre in McAllen.  The four were arrested on 9/2/86. It goes on to say the other three accomplices were all subsequently killed over the next 15 years.

Earlier on the article states he was "Preso en 1986 en McAllen, Texas, por robo de armas (expediente 03645237)"  This indicates he actually served time, but I've seen a report that says he was released almost immediately, and only the other three served time.

The article also contains a lot of other info about his alleged ties to the Gulf Cartel.

http://www.proceso.com.mx/121266/tamaulipas-rastros-de-narco-en-el-precandidato-panista-2

A follow-up article by Proceso re-stated a lot of this during last years campaign.

http://www.proceso.com.mx/427763/acusado-de-nexos-con-el-narco-va-pan-con-cabeza-de-vaca-como-candidato-en-tamaulipas

Re: Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

Bjeff
@Tully: Thanks, I changed my reply while you found those sources. Sorry about that. I wish I could find those records in the McAllen public records since there are case numbers and all, but it seems like you have to submit a request and pay a few dollars for it.

Re: Cabeza de Vaca - Governor of Tamaulipas - arrested in McAllen in 1986

RGV AG
This all happened a long time ago, but what I remember is that some of the guys that were with Francisco had an issue or issues with the supposed victims.  Money was owed or grief had been given or something, but everyone involved was from Reynosa.  Supposedly a rifle and shotgun were taken from a truck, but it was due to something related to the other guys that Francisco was with.  The charges against Francisco were dropped, I do know that and he did not spend any time in jail.

At that time it was an odd deal and the thing that is odd is all that has appeared in the Mexican press and gossip rags.  The reason I say that is that I am not sure who all exactly was with Francisco when this happened, but the reports say all of the other suspects were minors and in US police reports and criminal records the names of minors usually do not appear.  To then hear all later were waxed is also odd, as it appears the young thuggery brood all went back to Mex.

The important thing to consider in all of this is that this happened in 1986, at the time Francisco and his family were basically average people, and they sure didn't have the clout nor power to make charges like auto theft and or burglary of vehicle, where guns were involved mind you, go away as DA's and PD's in the states are not that easily bought off.  If they would have been bought off there would have been no record of this.  I remember lots of us in school giving Francisco a lot of grief over this deal, and he was very embarrassed about it.

Mexican press is salacious by nature and I don't think this is any different.  Francisco, I am sure, is not pure as the driven snow and who knows what transgressions he has had a part in, as ALL Mexican politicians are corrupt and or corrupted to some point and at some point.   But generally speaking Francisco has been pretty straight forward about wanting to foster decency in Mexico.

And as I mentioned, Francisco and all those connected to him have a lot more assets and ties to the US than any Mexican politician that I can remember, if he gets way off the rails he and his family could have big problems.