CJNG/Cuinis leader Gerardo González Valencia to be extradited to the U.S.

MX

CJNG/Cuinis leader Gerardo González Valencia to be extradited to the U.S.

MX

The Court of Criminal Appeals of the 4th confirmed the ruling and approved the transfer of the inmate Gerardo González Valencia. The sentence was signed on October 2 and notified only on Friday, October 26. The defense of González Valencia has until Monday, November 8, to take his case to the Supreme Court of Justice, the last instance foreseen by the system. Gonzalez González's lawyers are currently Gabriela Gómez and Ana Audiffred, who replaced Víctor Della Valle in the task.

In first instance, the judge of Organized Crime Beatriz Larrieu had resolved the extradition, but the ruling was appealed by the inmate's legal counsel. González Valencia spent five years hiding in residential neighborhoods of Punta del Este and Montevideo, but in April 2016 he was arrested. The police managed to find him when he prepared his escape and stopped him when he went to look for his children when they left a school in Carrasco. Since a while before, he was being followed up. The name of González Valencia had appeared shortly before in the Panama Papers investigation.

His fall also coincided with the arrest of another clan member: José, "El Chema" or "Chepa", who fell on December 27, 2017 in Fortaleza, Brazil. Both were dedicated to laundering assets for the clan in South America. Panama Papers international investigation revealed a large number of corporations created by the Panamanian study Mosack Fonseca to evade taxes in tax havens. In Uruguay, he was prosecuted for money laundering. He is considered one of the most guarded inmates of the Uruguayan penitentiary system.

Los Cuinis is the richest drug trafficking organization in the world. His brother Abigael - known as "El Cuini" - was the head of the cartel. It is a low profile organization that became particularly wealthy focusing on the Asian market and innovating in terms of financial operations in the real estate market. Seven brothers González Valencia integrate hierarchical positions. Since 2015, "El Cuini" (which owes its nickname to a squirrel known as Cuinique) was imprisoned in a maximum security prison in Puerto Vallarta. In August he was transferred to Durango. A report by the Drug Enforcement Administration of the United States (DEA) considers the group with greater operational capacity with regard to other famous cartels such as the one in Sinaloa, whose leader "El Chapo" Guzmán is a prisoner in the United States.

At the time, González Valencia launched threats against Interior Minister Eduardo Bonomi. In an official statement, he said the following: "They tortured me, they took me naked in sub-zero temperatures, and if the interior minister, Bonomi keeps sending his guards to torture me, look for the highest bridge in Uruguay where I will hang him."

He was first detained in the Comcar, but after the threats was sent to a dependency of the Republican Guard, where he is still held only with special security measures. The idea was to avoid generating more links with criminals housed in Uruguayan prisons. Prison Intelligence had detected his relationship with the group of "Betito" Suarez.

Source(s):
https://www.subrayado.com.uy/tribunal-apelaciones-confirmo-extradicion-del-mexicano-gonzalez-valencia-n517803

Re: CJNG/Cuinis leader Gerardo González Valencia to be extradited to the U.S.

Thanks for that update.I wonder when it will happen?That was interesting reading in that 1st link in your 1st sentence from Wikipedia.Lots of meaty stuff I never knew like he moved because someone was trying to kill him in Mexico.I wonder what ties that was (Sinaloa perhaps)?Welcome to Borderland Beat forum MX and may everyone have a Happy Hallowe'en and Day of the Dead!I know I will be trying to scare the kids dressed up and handing out candy!

Re: CJNG/Cuinis leader Gerardo González Valencia to be extradited to the U.S.

Pretty sure this was a given, after the DOJ presser earlier this month.
MX

Re: CJNG/Cuinis leader Gerardo González Valencia to be extradited to the U.S.

MX
Thank you, canadiana. I wrote the Wikipedia article back in March 2017, and I've been following / updating his case ever since. With the recent charges the U.S. government made against the CJNG leaders, don't be surprised if Gerardo, Menchito, Abigael, and José get extradited to the U.S. in the next year.

Re: CJNG/Cuinis leader Gerardo González Valencia to be extradited to the U.S.

I posted the article on main page and also added your wiki page.....thank you!  paz, chivis