Borderland Beat and Social Media

Ok...I admit to not getting involved with social media much.  I am of the opinion that it creates social pressure and is a waste of time, I only had a personal FB page for 6 mos long ago...

BUT it is an awesome tool for investigation, finding someone or something, news, etc.

So I have manned our BB twitter page for a few years.  If you can call it that.  I am not faithful sometimes having many weeks of no tweets, and only tweet a few posts i figure they can go to our blog and access all the posts.

I manage to attain 4900 or so followers.  Many journalists agents etc.  But pretty low number.  I don't post graphic images as teasers.

So about 2 or 3 weeks ago I began not using the twitter tool on the BB posts but made my own tweets, that now includes a foto, but still never graphic. and low and behold I gained 600 new followers.

My question is..hashtags.  are they important?  I am trying to gain new followers since FB closed down our page permanently.   I am sure someone not liking the success of the page complained to FB.  Buggs was doing an outstanding job.

an suggestions for a replacement for the defunct page?  how about IG?

Thanks for any help

MX

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

MX
This post was updated on .
Hashtags are important since other social media users can search through hashtags and find your content that way. Find out what hashtags are popular in your topic and then use those. You can create your own too. Make sure to keep the profile as "public" so the content is accessible to a wider audience and not just those who follow you. Hashtags can be tricky because a very popular hashtag may not necessarily boost your social media reach. Popular hashtags have a lot of content posted every few seconds/minutes and it can mean your posts will get "buried" in the sea of posts. It's good to try hashtags of medium popularity, or to look up other people in your field and see what hashtags they might be using.

I don't think Instagram is a great tool for reporting, but perhaps someone else here can give their two cents. I think it is mostly "picture-based", unlike Twitter. I know a few folks here follow cartel members and their extend family on Instagram (I believe that's how someone leaked Alejandrina Gisselle's wedding to the press). But I'd probably say you should stick to Twitter more heavily.

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

I agree the hastags will help gain followers, but more importantly, it will help people and hundreds of thousands of people follow hastags, for example like #narco #cjng are how I connect with Spanish only sources and then translate.  I am probably like many who just read stuff on twitter and don't actually post.  I only use Instagram to :-)

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

PSBNY619
This person on Quora has some very helpful and proven strategies, worth skimming through some of her posts as some directly address the hashtag question and many others that pertain to how to better utilize these platforms. I learned a lot just by reading the titles and first few statements as I, like Mica stated, use IG and others to research or to read, but never post personally and don't know that side of it which is more complex than I had thought,  There are systems and processes to getting the right medi attention, the right followers, etc and she has some good examples which are not just about getting the numbers, but the targeted numbers utilizing some pretty simple steps she discusses.

Here is the Quora link to her info:
https://www.quora.com/profile/Janice-Wald

Go down a few answers to hers, this is a really good response which you should get some credible tips for exactly what you are asking, I believe:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-technique-by-which-we-can-increase-our-followers-on-Instagram-or-on-Twitter
-PSBNY619

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

Thank you all!

hastags::  should be about the subject or a generic?

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

really good!

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

PSBNY619
Click on the "continue reading"  button under this link and under the response by Janice.  She has a few bullet points about hashtags and how to best utllize them:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-technique-by-which-we-can-increase-our-followers-on-Instagram-or-on-Twitter

I can't seem to copy and paste the actual post, or I would. Quora can be difficult to copy and paste sometimes...I apologize
-PSBNY619

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

Thank you much!

MX

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

MX
@PSBNY619: Thanks for sharing the answers from Quora. Very insightful.

@Chivis: If you go the Instagram route, engagement with your followers is very important. Replying to followers, liking their comments or posts, uploading stories, posting when your followers are the most active (you can get an extended feature to pull this information), etc., is crucial. I think it requires more maintenance than Twitter.

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

I interact some, and that is something new for about 6 months.
Hashtags still confused me as to what to use.  But I am trying.  my last post looks like this::

Videos: #CSRL sciarios execute a police commander and injures body guard  #Celaya #GuanajuatoViolento
http://borderlandbeat.com/2020/03/videos-csrl-huachicoleros-execute.html

How do I promote our page?  It was a recommendation from the link you sent me.

I APPRECIATE SO MUCH the help.  I do hate social media because of the time involvement and 95% of stuff posted is useless, wrong or garbage.  IMO.  but it is necessary

we do need an IG.  I tried to talk buggs into one.  but it seems more complicated than twitter or FB...

FB is simply too restrictive for narco news.  I belong to a couple of journalist groups on FB.  one in guerrero and they work pretty well.

But again it is constant work...

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

Ricky Churches
I would always use the the same has tags, in every post.
#BorderLandBeat #CartelNews #MexicanDrugWar something along those lines. Then include some related to the story you're posting.

Instagram is owned by Facebook, I'd you had issues with Facebook, Instagram is just a difficult, let people know the image is graffic if it's graffic. People are easily offended and all it takes is one complaint or one person constantly complaining.

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

from what I am told using the same attracts mostly the same users. havana---memba her?  love her---use those and it was not productive...but thank you!

I had a chivis FB account and posted BB posts and never had problems, not even warning.  But I refrained from graphic fotos just descriptions and links to the blog and that worked.  I just lost interest and stopped doing it.

here is the entire tweet---before I would just use the blogger tool...the lazy quick way but only tweets headline and link

MX

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

MX
@Chivis: You can shorten your URLs using Bitly. Twitter has a character limit so this can be very useful at times.

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

PSBNY619
I'm learning a lot from this article as she nails each question posed in detail it seems, covering a ton of the basics and in an easy format.
I know you already saw them, but the sections on how to generate and use the right hashtags, how to ENGAGE others to do the work for you by posting similar to a call to action where others participate and share, which gains momentum, excitement and ultimately the attention of what she calls the Influencers and Engagement Groups that can really create the WorldWide buzz needed.
I am someone  who for personal reasons had to suddenly drop all forms of social media back in 2016 (even a few FB sites that I owned and somehow operated) and am not by any means a propelar head, she is making it make sense as something I avoided and know nothing about except for what I research and learn with us all.
For those that could not find it, here is the direct link to the article I referenced, and her rationale for how this crazy World works...reading it and her other articles has helped a lot.
https://qr.ae/pNnPRu

-PSBNY619
-PSBNY619

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

I guess I have been doing something else not in the best way.  I choose 3 or 4 posts and tweet them all at once.  she says every 3 hrs or so.  not sure I can commit to that but I can spread them out.

another question.

Ovemex used to repeat a tweet 3 times or so.  I don't do that.  or very rarely.  what are your thoughts on that?  I just want to be as effective as possible for the little time I can devote to this.

and your suggestions and the link has been 'the best'.

Re: Borderland Beat and Social Media

PSBNY619
I am finding some key strategies here, one I commented on a few days ago was utilizing a tool to update all social media platforms simultaneously. I had heard a friend who runs a business doing just social media daily updates for a few select brands/people, I remembered him telling me it took him just a few min a day to do it all in one swoop and made it sound so simple. I found the info on how to do just that and I could track him down for his expertise if need be as well... Huge time saver and should help with work load, genius idea from this article:

https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/925-how-get-followers-instagram.html

"6. Combine Your Social Channels
Finally, another great way to gain more followers on Instagram is to combine your social media channels so anything you post on Instagram also gets posted simultaneously on Facebook, Twitter, etc. This allows you to expand your reach! This can be done relatively easily using tools like HootSuite or by connecting your Instagram account with your Facebook Page, Twitter Page, etc. This can be done under your share settings on Instagram."

AND the brand awareness for all social media needs to be visible and easy for users on one to click on the other targeted media. Such as the IG button for BB clearly visible on every website page as a button link, alongside a button for email, Twitter, etc.. Easy for all to see and simply click and once on IG, same thing, clear button links taking users back to the website, Twitter account, IG... keeping them engaged and in the loop of BB social media, encouraging feedback, sharing, likes, and creating interest with quick and easy CALLS TO ACTION!

Other nuggets from this article and from Janice Wald's posts:
MORE on hashtags for us...
"2. Hashtags
The top 10 used hashtags according to Webstagram include #love, #instagood, #me, #follow, #cute, #tbt, #like, #photooftheday, #followme and #tagsforlikes. When posting content on Instagram, try being as specific and relevant as possible with regards to your photo. This can be done by observing trends when you're choosing hashtags. Webstagram is a great tool for letting users know what hashtags to use. Hashtags are also tags that users are searching for on Instagram - so if you're looking to gain a larger fan base who align with your brand or gain visibility with your target market - then use hashtags that you think your target market would be searching for. For example, @travelcostarica routinely posts images with hashtags such as #travel #costarica #puravida #worldtravel #instatravel so that their photos get in front of people who are more likely to be involved in Costa Rica tourism."

"3. Following Users With Similar Interests
Once you start sharing great content on Instagram using relevant hashtags - you're going to start seeing users liking your photos and perhaps even following you. A great way to keep your fans engaged is to follow them back if they start following you"

How to get people to comment, or to like, or some engagement...

"Include a Call to Action at the end of your post. For example, ask your followers a question you want them to answer in the comments...
Have a giveaway or a contest. Only people who comment are entered."...

Maybe a copy of the new BORDERLAND BEAT BOOK soon to hit the shelves?
What an excellent marketing strategy for all...Helps build a buzz for the book, and new people engaged in the material on all of the BB platforms...everyone is a winner!
I know that would get my attention (feel free to send a copy my way, I can't wait to read it and that is saying a lot as I don't enjoy reading, I don't have the patience unless truly gritty and truly written about facts of true crime (mainly Irish Mob, NY mob, Greek Mafia, Mexican/Columbian Cartel, Russian Mob), and only one other could I stand to read cover to cover. An in your face, witty, crazy biography about being in the thick of addiction/painful premature recovery, she was beautiful and she told my story, the book was me when I read it back in 2001, I was dying, didn't care and didn't really understand it at all until that book, it literally helped save my life at the time and I am forever grateful for her honesty,. She acted and thought just like me and she was beatiful...I as fortunate enough to call her a friend a few years later, it seemed as if we knew each other for years, our minds were alike and we "got" each other,  Unfortunately E.W. lost her battle and succumbed to cancer this past Jan at a young 52 as I had been taking care of my Mom with the same and who passed June 1 from the same.  Life is crazy, has not been at all easy, ups and downs but it makes us who we are and that's engrained in me. The thrills, the excitement, and knowing that today I am the one who made it, when no one else around me did. That creates an anger and an energy in me today to do the right thing, to be compassionate, and to give back, not simply thinking of me all day, every day.
I am excited for this book, the parts I have read are fascinating, even more so that they are so factual and close to home for me in so many ways.  I can't wait to read it and to then pass it along to someone else who will hopefully take it in and to better understand the consequences of our actions that we can help to change today in some way great or small.

The time to create that same excitement for the book, the material, the facts, and in BB that I have, could not be better than now.

I have been a silent observer and reader of BB for years, before I came back to SD, and every day since these last 3-4 years.  A lot of us on here share a lot more than we know, and we have our reasons for being interested in the value that BB brings to us individually, and to the communities as a whole, which is one reason I have chosen to try to get involved more, and to see if and where I may be able to help others in this effort and to pay it back if you will...I am here to help and can make the tine to do so, just need a little direction.

"Creating Your Account...
If you don't already have an account, you can create one through the Instagram app. Do your best to snag a username that is short and obvious; get the name of your business if it is available...Next, write a short bio for your business - this might consist of your tagline, mission statement, or just a sentence or two about your brand. You have a 200-character limit, which is just a little longer than a tweet. Be sure to include your website URL, and make sure it's mobile-friendly! Visitors clicking this link will almost exclusively come from smartphones...Ben & Jerry's uses their tagline; Target gives a good reason to follow."

AND finally...
This article you will have to read it all as he gets it and it is chalk full of current data and analysis of the why, when, how of it all and how to promote your blog on IG in the most effective way:
https://www.magnet4blogging.net/promote-blog-instagram/?cn-reloaded=1

-PSBNY619
-PSBNY619