Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

Nuttz

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

Mexico-Watcher
Gee, I think it was either Fox or CNN said the Mexican chopper was 100 yards into the US.  What is it 8 miles or 100 yards?

Big difference!
Mexico-Watcher

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

jlopez
The problem that I have with this story is that it's full of "may haves". First, as mentioned in several sources, the incursion, if that's what it was, amounted to 100 yards into the U.S. in a desert area with poorly defined boundaries. That could happen in seconds. Second, the sources that have provided details state that the helicopter fired two shots, hardly a war. U.S. sources also state that BP agents were in a vehicle and nobody was harmed and there was no property damage. Finally, there is no mention anywhere at all (except this poorly written article) that U.S. law enforcement agents were involved in a drug interdiction operation. In fact, the Mexican government stated that it was the Mexican Army that was involved in an anti-trafficking operation and U.S. sources do not disagree. It looks from all sources that the U.S. BP officers just happened to be there, in their vehicle.

So, from these bare facts, the article builds up a whole conspiracy theory how the cartels "may have rented" cover from the military, cover that they apparently didn't need; there was no mention anywhere that any drug traffickers crossed over into U.S. territory. So, what was the cover for? That is simply bullshit.

It is much more likely that the helicopter inadvertently strayed over the border and fired a couple of shots, exactly what the known facts show. Another "fact" or lack of fact, rather, is that there is no assertion that the shots were fired at U.S. personnel and there is absolutely no mention anywhere as to where the shots hit. A hundred yards is very close range in a firefight with helicopter cover, so it is much more likely that the Mexican LEOs in the helicopter were firing back towards Mexico.

I hate to waste time and space on stuff like this, but there is simply too much bullshit made out of incidents like this.

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

Siskiyou_Kid
I too agree that this story is convoluted, but from the initial reports, the supposed original apology to Border Patrol by the local army commander, and the subsequent denial by the PGR, I tend to think this occurred.

I think they may have been providing cover for migrant smugglers after someone in charge was captured by the Border Patrol.

This occurred at Horse Mountain Ranch near Saric, and this is a very lawless area where the army has aided smugglers in the past.

The guys on the ground said the bird was only 15 yards above them, looking them in the eyes, less than 100 yards from the border.

I agree that the bird was probably hovering on the border, close to the ground, when they fired back toward Mexico, frightening the Border Patrol agents on the ground below them.

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

Siskiyou_Kid
The Mexican PGR has seized the rancho 'La Sierrita' north of Altar, Sonora and rescued 39 immigrants from Central America and Mexico, while arresting the man in charge of the ranch as well as workers in charge of food and shelter at the border staging area.

As many as 400 immigrants would cross at this point, every day, paying as much as USD 7,000 for the privilege. The man in charge of the rancho is identified as Ramón Ernesto Moreno Miranda, alias “El Güero”.

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

EL GUAPO
Consider the source of this BS story before you get your panties in a wad....

Nothing being reported in this vein on any of the MSM outlets, including Faux Newz

Also, it should be notes that the BP was in an UNMARKED vehicle.
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

Pinchegringo
EL GUAPO wrote
Also, it should be notes that the BP was in an UNMARKED vehicle.
Who gives a shit about whether or not it was unmarked or not? That isn't the point. You're ok with Mexican helicopters flying into the US and shooting at our border agents?

About as good with it as you seem to be with the US flying drones into Mexico

Pinchegringo
Do said drones fire on innocent Border Patrol agents?  I'll wait for your response.........

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

McRey
EL GUAPO wrote
About as good with it as you seem to be with the US flying drones into Mexico

Some (not all) US drones fly into Mexico at the request of, or in a joint effort with, the Mexican Military.

I highly doubt it was 100 yards. In a aircraft that can move as fast as a helicopter that would mean that they would have had to have some reason to keep it at that close of range. 8 miles seems more likely. My guess, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and the fact that we in fact do not know what they were doing, or who they were firing at, that they simply flew too far into a poorly marked desert. Its almost like they should put a fence there or something. You know, to mark where one sovereign nation begins and the other one ends.

Re: Border Patrol Agents: Cartels May Have "Rented" Cover From Mexican Military Helicopter in Shooting Incident Jun. 27, 2014

McRey
303 wrote
I highly doubt it was 100 yards. In a aircraft that can move as fast as a helicopter that would mean that they would have had to have some reason to keep it at that close of range. 8 miles seems more likely. My guess, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and the fact that we in fact do not know what they were doing, or who they were firing at, that they simply flew too far into a poorly marked desert. Its almost like they should put a fence there or something. You know, to mark where one sovereign nation begins and the other one ends.
There are real time maps on military helos that have enough resolution to tell you the instant you cross.  There is no way in the world that these guys were mistaken.  They knew exactly where they were.  It is the responsibility of the second seat to know as he/she is navigating.

A better question is why the helo fired in the first place.  Even Mexican rules of engagement prohibit the military from firing on civies unless fired upon.

The "rented" theory has more than just legs to it.  I would hope that our government has informed the Mexican military that the next time one of their helos cross, it will be viewed as hostile and dropped.