Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Southern border agent killed, another injured while on patrol in Texas

FOX News

5 hrs ago
A U.S. Border Patrol agent was killed in the line of duty while patrolling the Big Bend Sector of Texas along the southern border with Mexico.

Agent Rogelio Martinez, 36, died of injuries sustained while responding to “activity” near Interstate 10 in the Van Horn Station area, according to a news release from U.S. Customs and Border Protection Sunday.

Martinez and his partner, who was injured, were transported to a hospital. The partner, who was not identified, remains hospitalized in serious condition.

Spokesman Carlos Diaz told The Associated Press the FBI has taken over the investigation.

Martinez, who was from El Paso, worked as a border agent since August 2013
Elaine Duke, the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, released a statement Sunday calling Martinez’s death a “tragic event.”

“Earlier this morning, I was notified that Border Patrol Agent Rogelio Martinez died as a result of serious injuries suffered while on patrol in the Big Bend Sector of our southern border in Texas. Agent Martinez was responding to activity while on patrol with another agent, who was also seriously injured,” the statement read.

“We are fully supporting the ongoing investigation to determine the cause of this tragic event. On behalf of the quarter of a million frontline officers and agents of DHS, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Agent Martinez and to the agent who is in serious condition.”

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, also released a statement calling the attack a “stark reminder of the ongoing threat that an unsecure border poses to the safety of our communities and those charged with defending them.”

“Our condolences and prayers go out to the family and friends of Border Patrol Agent Rogelio Martinez, who was killed this morning in the line of duty. We are also praying for the full recovery of his partner, who was also attacked,” Cruz said.

“This is a stark reminder of the ongoing threat that an unsecure border poses to the safety of our communities and those charged with defending them. We are grateful for the courage and sacrifice of our border agents who have dedicated their lives to keeping us safe," the statement read. "I remain fully committed to working with the Border Patrol to provide them with all the resources they need to safeguard our nation.”

Border Patrol records show that Big Bend accounted for about 1 percent of the more than 61,000 apprehensions agents made along the Southwest border between October 2016 and May 2017.

The region's mountains and the Rio Grande make it a difficult area for people to cross illegally into the U.S. from Mexico.

The Border Patrol website lists 38 agents who have died since late 2003, some attacked while working along the border, and other fatalities in traffic accidents. It lists one other agent death in the line of duty this year.

Fox News’ Mike Emanuel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/southern-border-agent-killed-another-injured-while-on-patrol-in-texas/ar-BBFhTfd?li=AAggFp5&ocid=iehp

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Mica
This is not a political opinion, but this is going to get interesting with the sharp contrast in administrations as Trump addressed this last night and again today.

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Tacuache bodeguero
They are now reporting he was beat to death by rocks.

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Mica
Something strange about armed patrol killed by rocks.

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Yeah must be a reason why they used rocks.I always thought that was a Palestininian thing throwing rocks.If they were smugglers they surely would be armed but maybe they thought the ambush would work as they weren't spotted at that particular time and didn't want to call attention by making noise as another border agent could hear or a rancher.

dcm90
Fake news!! Who says that tractor wasn't operated by a cartel member? Alt facts..

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

dcm90
canadiana wrote
Yeah must be a reason why they used rocks.I always thought that was a Palestininian thing throwing rocks.If they were smugglers they surely would be armed but maybe they thought the ambush would work as they weren't spotted at that particular time and didn't want to call attention by making noise as another border agent could hear or a rancher.
Yea those evil terrorist Palestinians  invaders throwing rocks of mass destruction to the noble  peaceful zionist tanks...

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

I saw this 2 days ago but have been reluctant to post.  the story was posted in Dallas News by Corchado.

since then no confirmation.    although the FBI spokesperson says "they are exploring that scenario, but not ruled out attack.

That said, I am not convinced there was an attack.  But if there was a traffic accident there would be a confirmation.

One thing that has bothered me is no drawing of weapons, from either agent.  if they were approaching a suspected dangerous area, or if an attack begun, immediately guns would be drawn.

the government is doing a huge disservice to the public for not saying either way accident or attack.

Re: Border Agent attacked and killed and another injured near Big Bend Texas although details are still fuzzy

Mica
@Chivis,
The continued lack of details and lack of a request for help from the public to identify something or someone.  It’s hard to completely understand that the surviving officer has lost 100% of his memory.

Wild speculation, could they have been fighting each other, lovers or assisting a cartel?