Books to Read?

rpmbcs
I have noticed various posts mentioning different books related to the Cartels, violence in mexico and the drug violence but I can seem to find where the titles are mentioned.  I would like to read some books related to the overall topic of the Cartel violence.  What books would you recommend?  Thank you

Re: Books to Read?

final sleep-2

Re: Books to Read?

SmootheDaHustler
I doubt anybody here has ever read an actual book on the subject. The information contained within them is for the most part considered irrelevant and dated by the time it comes out. Of course this is just a generalization and there might be someone that can help you. If you're still interested a simple search on amazon wouldn't hurt.

Re: Books to Read?

rpmbcs
Thank you final.  That is what I was looking for.

I just wanted to see what this genre of books was like.  I just like to read.  Thank you again.

Re: Books to Read?

I was just sending you CATs link and see that Final did  :)  young folk always move faster!

Anyway I was delayed to add some additional books in addition to my suggestions on the link

The Daughters Of Juarez-true story of serial murder south of the border
making a killing-femicide, free trade and la frontera

and a personal favorite to understand mexico and its ills including the organized crime element and drugs:

Manana Forever- Mexico and the Mexicans by jorge castaneda
this examines all issues and the individualistic culture of people, which is a huge factor why mexico can't solve their issues and how they contribute to the drugwar with this stance-  an excellent read

Re: Books to Read?

oh smooth,  you pierce my heart, many of us on forum are avid readers and often share reviews and recommendations either publically or via email.  I am nothing w/o my kindle fire and ipad loaded.

don't you read?

Re: Books to Read?

AztecWarrior13
books by Charles Bowden "Muder City" / "Down by the River"

Re: Books to Read?

Two very good books about the cartels were just released this past fall.

The first is "The Last Narco: Inside the Hunt for El Chapo, the World's Most Wanted Drug Lord", by Malcolm Beith.

The second is "El Narco. Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency", By Ioan Grillo.

Both of these are excellant books with current information.

Re: Books to Read?

Here is the complete list for you to print out.  some were repeated like the Last Narco.
Kindles are a great tool and they are super cheap now.  it comes with free access to books and cheaper than book to download and you can carry all these books on one device and take it everywhere.

The Last Narco (Malcolm Beith)
Murder City (Charles Bowden)
Mexico: Narco-Violece and a Failed State? (George W. Grayson)
Drug Lord (Charles Bowden
Down By The River- Charles Bowden
Amexica - Ed Vulliamy
God's Middle Finger - Richard Grant
Drug War Zone -Howard Campbell
La Familia Drug Cartel - George W. Grayson
The Daughter's of Juarez - Teresa Rodriguez (more corruption)Desperados - Elain Shannon
Coyotes - Ted Conover
Deep Cover - Michael Levine
Antonio's Gun - Sam Quinones true migration stories
True Tales From Another Mexico - Sam Quinones
Across The Wire - Luis Urrea
Devil's Highway - Luis Urrea
Lake Of The Sleeping Children - Luis Urrea
Charles Bowden Reader - Charles Bowden
Drug Zone is a must read.  The introduction alone is worth the read.. (weng great list!)

for spanish speakers Atenta Mente, El Chapo (Sincerely, El Chapo) get at www.nexos.com.mx
 writen by Hector de Mauleon, he also wrote La Ruta Sangre de Beltran Leyva

Mafia & Co. The Criminal Networks in Mexico, Brazil & Colombia by Juan Carlos Garzon -WW Intl Center for Scholars.  it is 37 USD on Amazon.com or download it free here (its almost 200 pages:

 http://insumisos.com/LecturasGratis/las%20redes%20criminales%20en%20mexico_brazil_colombia%20-%20juan%20carlos%20garzon.pdf
Plus the horrifying but informative "Silence or Death in Mexico's Press" available (was free maybe stilll is)
 at :
http://www.cpj.org/
and George W Grayson, author of  "MEXICO Narco-Violence and a failed state?" released a 200 pg report in Jan of LFM.  An Excellent historical overview of the cartel..  you can download it free of charge:
 http://www.scribd.com/doc/51406317/La-Familia-Drug-Cartel-Implications-for-U-S-Mexican-Security

Making a killing-femicide, free trade and la frontera
 and a personal favorite to understand mexico and its ills including the organized crime element and drugs:
Manana Forever- Mexico and the Mexicans by jorge castaneda
this examines all issues and the individualistic culture of people, which is a huge factor why mexico can't solve their issues and how they contribute to the drugwar with this stance-  an excellent read

Re: Books to Read?

Siskiyou_Kid
Thanks Buela Chivis, this a great and comprehensive list.

Re: Books to Read?

final sleep-2

Re: Books to Read?

The Bowden ones are the best, he is the most in touch to me, and doesn't come off like an American/British intellectual, out of their element in narco Mexico.  Bowden also adds his own perspectives and theories, in a very nihilistic way, instead of just repeating old information.

Re: Books to Read?

rpmbcs
Thank you everyone for the input.  I have a kindle fire and will now add these to my list of books to read.  Thank you again and Happy Holidays.

Re: Books to Read?

SmootheDaHustler
Wow, had no idea people here actually read books on the subject. Like I said it was just a generalization because I thought everybody thought books were written by sensationalists and not worth getting, and in effect, made the decision to not bother with them. But seeing such recommendations has actually peeked my interest.
TRC

Re: Books to Read?

TRC
Fred Carrasco, The Heroin Merchant by Wilson McKinneyThis is a good book if you are into the history. Fred was a very big time heroin dealer out of San Antonio in the 60s and 70s. He ran a nation wide operation distributing heroin and cocaine. He was tied with the Guadalajara original cartels and was a true gangster. It has not been in publication for maybe 30 years. I see Amazon has 5 used copies for $159 each. He died in a prison escape in Huntsville. It was a great book. BB did an article on him in 2010. I had a copy and loaned it out 25 years ago. It was too good to get returned. If you get it, you will not regret it. I knew a lot of his people out of San Antonio in that time.Drug Lord by Terrence Poppas is an excellent historical book too and it's value is good because he actually interviewed Pablo Acosta. I knew some of Pablo's people and also the plaza boss of Ojinaga before him, Fermin Sanchez. I will never forget Amado Carrillo's statement after he killed 8 of he and Pablo's men. "Pablo, better 8 innocent men die than one guilty man live."

Re: Books to Read?

Well TRC...the one in VERY GOOD condition for $159.40 is no longer there!

Merry Christmas to Buela Chivis....jajaja  and you!

thanks for the recommendation, can't wait!

Re: Books to Read?

Havana
 http://www.skeptictank.org/files//weird/matamoro.htm

Hi everyone.  All those books are worthy. I deem them worthy!  Jajaja.  Like who the hell am I? I've read 'em all but two. Why cause I love books and I have a fear of being bored.  So, I don't cross the street without something readable near me.  Call it a phobia. I'm not ashamed of reading.

I don't agree that Ione Grillo writes at all like some intellectual out of water in Mexico. Some of his articles over the years have been very informative like in Rolling Stone and Time Magazine among others. His book El Narco is informative and well written.  He totally grasps the subject and doesn't act like he knows more than everyone either. Charles Bowden always dominates the pack completely in my opinion.  He is just good because he is well Charles Bowden-period. But that guy Luis Urrea writes some mean fiction and non-fiction about immigrants' plight crossing the Arizona desert and an investigation into the lives lof families living in the TJ dump and also a great book called The Hummingbird's Daughter which is fascinating. It's technically fiction but based on facts as he is related to the protagonist. I could go on but won't.

Some one please answer this question for me, okay? Here's a subject I'm interested in but feel there may be only sensationalized bullshit written on it..  I'd like to read a Terrance Poppa style book on the subject.  If you know one please tell me.. or  maybe I'll have to write it myself cause I think it sounds riveting to me and it happened very early.  For all I know there may be a Mexican movie on the guy and he may be a Mexican folk hero.  I know nothing about him. Maybe I should do some research?  I'm starting here now!  I know there are people here from Matamoros. It is about that guy Costanzo (maybe his name is spelled wrong but very similar).  He was a pretty big drug dealer. Right?  And nuts, right? Early like late 80's/early 90's and reportedly into Santaria.  This happened in Matamoros.  So I figure someone around here might know more on the subject.  He used to kidnap kids and got one one night partying from the University of Texas (El Paso). I don't think they ever found the kid.
Does this ring a bell?  Seems like a good subject for a book, right?  Just an idea.
http://www.skeptictank.org/files//weird/matamoro.htm

Re: Books to Read?

Siskiyou_Kid
Wikipedia says the 2007 film Borderland was loosely based on Adolfo de Jesús Constanzo, the killer in Matamoros who led of band of drug dealers who committed human sacrifices as part of their cult.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Borderland_%28film%29

Re: Books to Read?

Havana
Hey thank you so much for that. You'll get the first signed copy of my book when it hits the stores and online outlets.  You've heard of him before?  I'm testing the waters, you see.  Bye now

Re: Books to Read?

Cat-
Thanks for the new info! Will most definitely follow up on those. I had to wait for about two months for my books to be delivered in South Africa. I keep George Grayson's book on my desk and most people who walk past, see the book and comment on it. The colourful cover page also draws attention, see. Sometimes I just revisit the pages that had the most intense effect on me - and I also tell my colleagues and friends about it. Because they all think that the TV series Weeds indicates the real situation on the drug war. Ha ha. It doesn't.

A close friend of mine asked me the other day: "Why do you read about this? Isn't it depressing?" And he doesn't even know about the terrible chainsaw beheading video, the one video that still gives me nightmares. I answered: "Because reading about the Mexican drug war, realising what happens to people on the other side of the world, makes me thankful for the relatively normal life I have. And it scares me shitless - so I'll never use drugs."

He just shook his head, still not understanding. Ah well.

In Table 1.1 of Grayson's book, in the column about the types of murders and the messages they portray, this sentence gave me the chills:

"--> Gunshots
Nothing personal; you were on the list."
12