Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

1234 ... 6

Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

dr.janebrock
AJ

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

AJ

That's what I'm talking about.

Case Closed.....
CHIVIS FOREVER

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

rooster
Read it and weep MILO

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

oh yeah!!!! this is going on mainboard!!! along with links to DDs.

thank you!

also I wrote a professional and polite comment to the guardian and texas ob explaining this and asking them to contact me with any questions and they removed my comments, they don't want to ruin their fucking story with the truth.

there is an easy way to find the original authors of the stories.  notice it is rare that BDn stories come from me I go to the original source.

excellent!!!!

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

rooster
@Chivis

Why is there a story sucking bdn dick on mainboard saying the Guardian and chronicle articles are fact? You keep saying that it's not a girl name "Lucy" but some dude, and his name and location wrote outed last year by someone missed at him for stealing their work.

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

while I was looking for a specific rip off of mine I saw this that BDN o Mundo ripped off as theirs:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2012/07/diablo-confirms-executed-were-family.html

one was in Spanish and translated to English, I think a manta, but the funny part was they posted it as is using a machine translator so it looked like Spanish then said "translation to English"  and was Spanish again.....too funny

commenters ripped them for it.

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

actually it was more than a year and BDN has given "interviews" before this IS NOT the first.

reporters have their own reasons for selecting what they do, as for me I would not ever post such a thing.

to each their own I suppose. but promoting a blog that even created a blog off our RSS feed whereby our posts were republished with out credit is the lowest of the low.  a duplication of our blog, almost in real time.  and further stratfor even gave them credit for our work!  I wrote to Stratfor and they were apologetic, but I don't think they ever changed it....on to the next..........

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

can you give me a link to this?

Trust me chivis I completely agree with you, my routine when turning on my computer used to be check BB, then BB forum, then BDN. Now it just consists of the first two. BDN are straight up bottom feeding thieves. Using people's hard work and passing it off as their own. And now with the book! No shame in their game

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

dr.janebrock

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

Pinchegringo
lol they don't even try to mask to plagiarism.  It's an outright duplicate.

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

dr.janebrock

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

K_Mennem

Hey guys. Feel free to re-post my post above anywhere ya want.

 I have had it out with the publisher himself of the book that just came out on Blog del Narco's Lucy. I had words with the writer, Rory Carroll, of the Guardian story as well. Ill try to repost some of that.

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

Bjeff
Thanks for joining, Mr Mennem. Welcome to the Beat. It is good to see quality journalists joining in.

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

K_Mennem
Rory Carroll wrote this story- 'They stole our dreams': blogger reveals cost of reporting Mexico's drug wars
Exclusive: Anonymous author of celebrated Blog del Narco speaks for first time about the risks – and reveals she is a woman
Reported in partnership with the Texas Observer

My conversation with him on twitter.

from @K. Mennem to @rorycarroll72 @GuardianUS You do realize that over 95% of Blog del Narcos info is complete plagiarism right?

-Before he replies, Erin Siegal a reporter based in Tijuana jumps in-

from @erinsiegal > It makes me wonder about copyright law in Mex, something I don't know much about..... @K_Mennem @rorycarroll72 @GuardianUS

from @erinsiegal to @K_Mennem @rorycarroll72 @GuardianUS Also makes me wonder is the US publisher of the book will be liable for any possible plagiarism...?

Rory Carroll then responds

from @rorycarroll72 to @K_Mennem @erinsiegal The blog aggregated its own and others' material, didn't claim it was all original reporting. Readers knew that

from @rorycarroll72 to @K_Mennem Attribution cd and should be better, agreed, but in Mx info vacuum getting stories out + repeating them is hugely valuable.

I then respond

from @K_Mennem to @rorycarroll72 Your article failed to mention that as well. You make it sound as if they are collecting anonymous sources and writing it

from @K_Mennem to @rorycarroll72 Blog del Narco is a collection of articles from all over the web, social media, and newspapers. From MX and US.

from @K_mennem to @rorycarroll72 It has been for years. Owners and those writing about BdN should state what it is, not mislead readers.

from @K_mennem to @rorycarroll72 Credit needs to be given to the reporters from Zeta magazine, El-Mexicano in TJ, El Sol de Cuernavaca, and more

from @K_mennem to @rorycarroll72 these journalists are putting their ass on the line daily, but when Americans read this they give Blog del Narco credit

At this point Rory probably realized he had messed up with his article and did not respond. Erin and others chimed in. There is more, probably would be just as easy to read it off my twitter. Sorry if this was a confusing format.

from @erinsiegal to @K_Mennem @rorycarroll72 Agree with K. on this one... it would be interesting to take 50 recent posts & find out the % of, um, "aggregation"

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

@welcome Senor K_Mennem.  For you readers that might have missed it, Mennem was the first to take the The Texas Observer and the Guardian to task for publishing the story and honoring BDN.  He knows how much of a plagiarist BDN is.

We look forward to your sharing some of your posts with us here on BB.  Anytime we post anything of yours, be assured we will give you credit as the source.

As you probably know, some of our material is original, but a big percent is copied and pasted (with source credit).  Even though we cut and paste a lot, I believe that we serve a valuable function by aggregating stories on cartels and violence in Mexico into a English language site where readers can come to see stories all in one place.  We save the readers hours of looking at hundreds of publications for the news.  Kind of a variation on Drudge (without a political agenda).

Really glad to have you with us.

Chivis all of my comments on the Guardian were removed as well. I left some on the Texas Observer that were not taken off.

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

K_Mennem
Thanks DD, thanks Bjeff. Glad to be here. I have been a long time reader and I appreciate the work yall do. A quick source credit is all thats needed usually. I am going to try to post my words I had with the publisher on the Amazon book review. Here is the link ahead of time. He is trying to have me banned from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1FD5MN3R3IYJV/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1936239574&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

K_Mennem
 Note: Adam Parfrey is a publisher and editor for the company which released the Blog del Narco book about Lucy. This conversation took place on Amazon, where I knew a publisher would eventually check the comments.

Stolen info, April 4, 2013
By K.Mennem "K.Mennem"
This review is from: Dying for the Truth: Undercover Inside the Mexican Drug War by the Fugitive Reporters of Blog del Narco (Paperback)
95% or more of Blog Del Narcos info is complete plagiarism. These are not anonymous sources. They are copy and paste jobs from news-sites and blogs across Mexico and the US border region. They give no credit to authors or other websites. They rarely post info first.

I wish you would have done some research before this was published.

Adam Parfrey says:
this is a LIE from a guy who runs crappier and more derivative blogs based on Blog del Narco...

K.Mennem says:

You clearly have no idea what your talking about then if you do not know where Blog del Narco gets their info. It may be useful in the U.S. for collection of info. In Mexico it is pure plagiarism.

A SPECIFIC CASE OF PLAGIARISM

A colleague of mine, wrote this article on April 2nd, 2013.
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldecuernavaca/notas/n2934104.htm

Blog del Narco copy and pasted his article two days later and published it as there own. Giving NO CREDIT!
http://www.blogdelnarco.com/2013/04/taxista-es-ejecutado-en-morelos/#more-18490

K.Mennem says:
The point is this person is getting credit for others work. She is not giving credit to those she steals from. How are you ok with that?

Michel Marizco wrote in 2010 about the blatant plagiarism by Blog del Narco http://borderreporter.com/2010/08/blogueros-no-periodista/

Adam Parfrey says:
Maybe K. Mennem will let on that he has an ulterior motive here, that he's linked to competitive blogs of Blog Del Narco and obviously jealous that Blog Del Narco gets a great deal more attention. BTW, who the f..k cares? It's all about reporter the reality of the grotesque drug culture and running for one's life for reporting it.

K. Mennem says:
I write, contribute, and photograph for numerous news agencies. I also run two blogs and contribute to one. I spend a good portion of my time IN Mexico. My writings are not competing with anyone, as I work with journalists all over Mexico and the US. This is merely about hard working journalists getting their works stolen and not getting a mere word of credit. That's all. Blog del Narco and MundoNarco have been stealing articles and info for years. Its nothing new. Go to Twitter, journalists are questioning Blog del Narco now more than ever.

You on the other hand as the publisher, have a lot on the line. I understand why you are upset now.

Adam Parfrey says:
Unfortunately, you have become a troll, trying to destroy the competition. Fortunately for Feral House, readers find great value in the book here. Just look at the sales rank.

K.Mennem says:
I am just informing readers who have been misinformed. I am not trying to sell books or advertisements Adam.

I wish you the best of luck with your book. I am sure I will look through it.

Adam Parfrey says:
you must know, of course, that reviewing a book you haven't even looked at is against the rules here...

K.Mennem says:
That is fine. Are you on Twitter? We can move this discussion there.

Adam stopped responding.....

Re: Blo del Narco: Plagiarism at it's finest

etburns
1234 ... 6