Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Drug kingpin who changed face caught in Brazil

Sky News

6 hrs ago

Luiz Carlos da Rocha© Other Luiz Carlos da Rocha  A drug lord who had plastic surgery to change his appearance has been captured in Brazil after three decades on the run.

Luiz Carlos da Rocha, nicknamed White Head, is one of South America's biggest cocaine kingpins having reportedly amassed a personal fortune of $100m (£77m).

He was arrested in the western state of Mato Grosso in a city called Sorriso.

Under operation spectrum, 150 agents carried out 24 raids and seized luxury cars worth $10m (£7.7m), planes, farms and other property.

Luiz Carlos da Rocha© Other Luiz Carlos da Rocha  Spectrum refers in Portuguese to the phantom-like nature of a fugitive "who lived discreetly and in the shadows... evading police attempts for almost 30 years", said police.

They said da Rocha had changed his name to Vitor Luiz de Moraes.

Authorities said that after comparing old photos of da Rocha's facial characteristics with an up-to-date ID image of de Moraes, they concluded they were the same person.

Da Rocha has convictions totalling more than 50 years in prison which were handed down by the federal court.

He allegedly headed up a network that includes producing cocaine in the jungles of Bolivia, Colombia and Peru and distributing it on the continent as well as the US and Europe.

Police said cocaine was flown in small planes from manufacturing sites via Venezuelan airspace to remote farms in western Brazil.

From there it was shipped in secret compartments in specially adapted lorries to Brazil's big cities or to be moved abroad.

During the operation to find da Rocha, his alleged right-hand man was also arrested.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/drug-kingpin-who-changed-face-caught-in-brazil/ar-BBDAj1m?li=AAggFp5&ocid=iehp

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Siskiyou_Kid
In the 1980's I went to high school in the area of Brazil where da Rocha was arrested, and even then it was a major trafficking corridor moving product from Bolivia to Sao Paulo.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Track
Your well traveled hey siskiyou. Of all the places you have traveled in South American which do you prefer?

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Siskiyou_Kid
That's a tough question, because every place is unique, and things have changed in some places. I was in South America as a young guy without kids, so my own situation is different now.

My family imported woolen goods and ethnic crafts, first from Toluca and Oaxaca in Mexico, then Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Guatemala. This ended in the 1990's and now they concentrate on imports from Nepal, India, Thailand, and the Indonesian island of Bali.

I like Ecuador, it's a small country with really friendly people and easy to get around. Montevideo is very cosmopolitan and there is a more modern and European flair. Buenos Aires is even more of this, but Uruguay and Argentina are fairly expensive compared the more rustic and indigenous Andean countries [with the exception of Chile, which I haven't visited].

Colombia is incredibly fun for people who are adventurous, but it is necessary to pay attention. Again the people are amazingly welcoming and carefree, despite fifty years of civil war that had an affect on everyone.

Brazil is amazing and I have people there, but they are soya farmers in an inland area who have invested in an eco resort that is very successful. There is so much diversity, it's comparable to the US.  Brazil is famous for the beaches of Rio de Janeiro and the Amazon rain forest, but there is so much more. In the Mato Grosso do Sur, where da Rocha was arrested, has the Pantanal wetland with Anacondas, Piranas, Alligators, Jaguars, and 1,000 bird species. The Northeast has beaches that put Rio's to shame, and an African culture that is very complex.

Southeast Brazil has beautiful towns that preserve their Italian and German culture with vineyards, festivals and architecture. It is quite something to sip local wine and snack on Swiss fondue next to a roaring fire while it's snowing in June.

Anyway, sorry to be so vague but it's not a simple question. Mexico has an amazing variety of cultures,  and like Mexico, individual cultural traditions are found in pueblos and cities all over South America, that among other aspects have unique food, music, celebrations, and art.

Now that I'm married with kids, I have to say that Costa Rica is an easy and safe bet for foreigners. The people are thankful for the money they bring, and it's about as easy as most places  in the US to rent a car and cruise around, use something like AirBnB for nice places to stay, and visit parks and beaches.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Track
Its funny how you mention if you travel to Colombia learn to pay attention.  So many times have I seen tourists get extorted by local scammers from santa marta, cartagena and medellin.  Its a fun country but not for the average traveller

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Siskiyou_Kid
I've seen the same thing. Some friends were basically scammed right in front of me in Cartagena five minutes after I explained the scam to them [I fell for it as a teenager in Salvador, Brazil]. The next day I witnessed the manager of a tour office who was involved meeting with the scammers and I returned with police who were involved with US operators, naively hoping to get their money back. Later, a police commander told me that I'm unfamiliar with the neighborhood and to forget about it.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

el Jesse James
Have you ever got to hang around any CIA spooks? What was your impression of them compared to US .mil or conventional DEA agents, etc? Not sure how much youre in to precision shooting(I know you like your AR's and what not), but Accurate Ordnance - a pretty big name precision rifle gunsmith near me that I like to visit their shop on occasion, one a the guys who run it was in the DEA for quite a while and has some awesome stories. Pretty crazy honestly, we dont even touch the poppy fields in Afgh anymore. Apparently we used to torch the bud and opium plots we came across but it made the locals angry.. so no longer.. but Id think if it was found to be owned by a bad guy(s) then we may seize it or some such..

Real solid group a dudes that build some f*ckin awesome rifles! Check em out if youre in the area, they'll sort you out nicely. Im all about a well built bolt rifle, though AR's are fun as well Im more into accuracy games. Cant wait to start shootin PRS matches

https://accurateordnance.com/

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Siskiyou_Kid
When I was in Colombia in the early 1990's there were some US operators based at US Southern Command in Panama who were doing 'training' exercises with local military.

The guys in uniform were cool as hell. We had long hair and Grateful Dead shirts, and some Army Rangers broke the ice asking if we had any tapes to trade at a bar in the city. We had been on the same base with these guys in the jungle, and we avoided them because the guys in khakis and button-up shirts were eyeballing us. One of the Rangers told us those guys were spooks and nobody liked them. It turned out the spooks were alright, just really fucking serious and didn't trust anybody.

In this photo you can see a Grateful Dead bootleg on the bar. The Rangers we knew were really interested in hallucinogenic cactus, mushrooms, or ayahuasca,  because they couldn't be detected on the urine tests they faced after each raid.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

MANO
On point!
Meanwhile back on Cobra Island....

On point!

That's what the world looks like right now.(mind the gunshots in the background).

LOL thats awesome haha! Far as spooks not trusting anybody that sounds right. One of the guys over at AO said when he was in Afgh there was this one white dude he had interacted with multiple times but that seemed kinda distant. The white dude has his own team of arbikai but said he was simply a contractor pulling gate security and such. Multiple times middle of the night tho he and his arbikai would pull up to the FOB with bad guys in flex cuffs LOL contractor my ass.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Mahnickle
Yo mi amigos, mi nickles new to tha board and glad to be here. Love me some mexican chaos
Do unto others, then split

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

what the hell happened to your post asking the question?  I spent time and hit published and the post was gone.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Like your photo.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

How do these scams work?Are they popular in Mexico?Can you elaborate for us travellers or curious 1's?Thx.

Re: Big South American drug kingpin finally found after 30 years

Siskiyou_Kid
The particular scam I saw relies on inexperienced tourists in situations usually involving local authorities.

In Cartagena some young tourists wanted to change dollars on a Sunday in a beach area where all the money changing shops were supposedly closed, but staffed. They referred tourists to a nearby street where a hustler took hundreds from each tourist while saying he was worried about the police, quickly counted a stack of peso notes, handed them to the mark with some slight of hand, then yelled the police were coming and ran around the corner and out of site. The tourist is looking around for a minute before counting the peso notes and realizing they are small denominations of little value.

I saw the exact same system employed in Northeast Brazil, and I suspect it was employed in other areas I visited, most of them coastal.