Austin American-Statesman puzzles over the analysis of crime rates along Texas-Mexico border crime

Austin American-Statesman puzzles over the analysis of crime rates along Texas-Mexico border crime

Havana
If statistics for spillover violence are ever going to reflect reality, there has to be a special categories for cartel violence and it needs to be managed carefully and responsibly.

Many aspects that make up the complicated situation on border and Border Patrol/law enforcement's ongoing struggle against cartel related smuggling can't be reflected in a statistic because not all transactions or altercations end in violence or busts.

Not everything is reported as always because of fear.

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/statesman-analysis-shows-that-statistics-dont-back-up-1940906.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/border-crime-cant-be-categorized-as-one-statistic-1940935.html

http://www.statesman.com/news/statesman-investigates/crime-rates-along-texas-border-counties-1937646.html

Re: Austin American-Statesman puzzles over the analysis of crime rates along Texas-Mexico border crime

Pinchegringo
Implied or realistic takes on the numbers IMO are irrelevant.  Just simply due to the fact that CBP can *see* murders happening across the river are just cause enough to raise the alert.

What if Canada had bombings everyday? Don't you think we'd beef up our borders to protect our country? Same difference here.

It seems that the "lower reported" numbers of murders, drug smuggling etc is good politics - which equates to re-election.  No wonder Washington wants to sweep this under the rug.  It's the "Oh, that's an Arizona/Texas problem - they can handle it themselves" attitude which is causing the border states so much strife.  Only a matter of time until you hear about weapon caches found in Laredo or Brownsville or Nogales.