Quantcast

Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Havana

Thank heavens there are some real cops around.

While Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu's office was blathering on about drug cartels, Tempe police were calmly explaining the facts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/03/arizona-drugs-charred-bodies-suv?newsfeed=true

Just the facts. Just like cops are supposed to do.

They brought professionalism, caution and reason to the human tragedy involving five charred bodies found Saturday morning in a burned-out SUV in the Vekol Valley.

This sad event, which will touch the lives of many people, was squeezed for every bit of political gain by Babeu. The intrepid sheriff of Pinal proclaimed it to be the work of drug cartels. He alerted the Mexican consulate. He took a shot at Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

What a great way to scare up votes for his re-election campaign.

Enter the adult law officers.

It turns out the burned SUV was registered to a missing Tempe family. The dead were identified as Tempe residents James and Yafit Butwin and their three children. Tempe police issued a statement: "Based on the evidence, detectives pursued this incident as a murder-suicide investigation."

Wow. Based on evidence.

Just like real cops.

Meanwhile, Babeu's office sent out a two-page news release Tuesday that included speculation by an unnamed Border Patrol agent in an alternative Boston newspaper that the burned-out SUV was likely the work of the Zetas, a fearsome Mexican cartel.

After expounding on the theory that this was a cartel hostage execution, the news release tried to buy wiggle room by saying it was not yet able to confirm this. Just passing along a rumor, folks, that's all.

It wasn't until the last paragraphs on the second page of Babeu's news release that the evidence-challenged deputies at the Pinal County Sheriff's Office mentioned the Tempe police had contacted them about "a missing-persons case they are working."

A missing-persons case?

Heavens.

Babeu came to Arizona and built a political career as a get-tough border sheriff at a time when legitimate fears and real problems were being shamelessly exploited for political gain.

Remember when one of his deputies claimed to have been involved in a shootout with smugglers? Evidence -- there's that word again -- was so thin, the guy quietly faded away.

If only Babeu would do the same.

Pinal County is not on the border -- something they might not know in Boston. But Vekol Valley has long been known for smuggling activity, and the residents of Pinal County deserve a sheriff who is more interested in solving those problems than appearing on cable TV.

Babeu's political problems -- self-inflicted -- include investigations into how he's been running the Sheriff's Office and how he may have scammed a military surplus program. Not to mention the come-hither underwear photos he posted online. The controversies got so hot he decided not to run for Congress. So he's seeking another term as sheriff.

He must think the residents of Pinal County are real rubes. Or they like recklessness in their sheriff.

In his desperation to hold onto his political career, in his jumping to conclusions instead of waiting on the evidence, Babeu showed the voters of Pinal County plenty. They can look at his performance this week, and compare it to what real cops do when confronted with a human tragedy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155120/Mystery-bodies-burned-Arizona-desert-deepens-emerges-car-belonged-murder-suicide-family.html

The Republic | azcentral.com

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/2012/06/05/20120605editorial0606-true-lawmen-focus-facts.html#ixzz1x0zKrKuO

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Baggy
are you talkin about the deputy that like, shot himself in the ass or somthing and tried to say he was in a gun battle with sicarios??

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

El Regio
no Baggy this one liked getting shot in the ass but by an illegal immigrant! lol he is gay.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Baggy
ahahaahhaha. no no not the sheriff!i saw him mentioned in the Is EPN gay? topic.  im talkin bout the deputy. you made me laugh tho.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Pinchegringo
Agreed, they probably shouldn't have jumped the gun in the first place, but their reasoning was legit considering the truck was in fact coming from the border which is a known drug trafficking corridor.

This thing will blow over by tomorrow.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Havana
I'll be honest-I saw the  photo of burnt truck and also just like that baboon from Arizona I ASS U Me ed.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Chimera
Yes, Havana, but you're not the county sheriff and you didn't go posting on your Facebook page that it was the Zetas! He did.

The deputy in the supposed shootout shot himself in the hand, if I remember correctly.

Our illustrious sheriff ended his run for Congress because his boyfriend "Jose" outed him and accused him of threatening him with deportation. So now the Sher'f is running for his next term of office with all that baggage... as a Republican in a very Conservative county. He'd have scored major points if he was right -- too bad, so sad.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Havana
 Chimera! LOL! True enough all of it!  There is a small difference.

He shot himself in the foot.  Pretty soon he is going to resemble a piece of swiss cheese and will have plenty of time to practice at the gun club.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Pinchegringo
Chimera wrote
Our illustrious sheriff ended his run for Congress because his boyfriend "Jose" outed him and accused him of threatening him with deportation. So now the Sher'f is running for his next term of office with all that baggage... as a Republican in a very Conservative county. He'd have scored major points if he was right -- too bad, so sad.
lol this is the same guy? Surprised he is even still in office to begin with.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Havana

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Malo Compañía
I don't know much about this Sheriff with the exception he came out as being Gay, but I did read his post in Facebook and not trying to defend him, but just for the sake of honesty, he did not claim it was done by Cartels or Zeta's, he said he "Suspects" and that it looks like their work and that he was waiting pending a forensic examination of the bodies.

Now he may have had good reason to suspect this as being Cartel related since the area were this car was found has had 2 cops killed by Drug Runners and 1 border patrol agent, and several unidentified bodies found in the last 5 years.

BTW the comment made about the guy living in a Conservative area and being gay will out him is an unfair statement because most Gays I know are Conservatives, and many more have become conservatives since Prop 8 was not passed in California and they blame Liberals for losing since California is 70% Democrat and only 30% Conservative.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Siskiyou_Kid
Prop 8, a California measure banning gay marriage, WAS passed in California. It will likely be struck down by the US Supreme Court, because the Constitution guarantees equal protection.

Re: Arizona Sheriff Jumped to Easy Conclusion-Should Have Waited

Chimera
Malo, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I would like to respond to part that I think that was replying to me:

Malo Compañía wrote
BTW the comment made about the guy living in a Conservative area and being gay will out him is an unfair statement because most Gays I know are Conservatives, and many more have become conservatives since Prop 8 was not passed in California and they blame Liberals for losing since California is 70% Democrat and only 30% Conservative.

OK, first: "the comment made about the guy living in a Conservative area and being gay will out him"

What I said was:
Our illustrious sheriff ended his run for Congress because his boyfriend "Jose" outed him and accused him of threatening him with deportation. So now the Sher'f is running for his next term of office with all that baggage... as a Republican in a very Conservative county.
Which is absolutely true. (When I say "our" I mean it editorially; I am  not in Arizona.) He did decide not to run for Congress when he was outed; there is a very large press record available to show this. He is in a very Conservative county ad all could be considered baggage for a Conservative Republican. Of course the fact that he threatened "Jose" with deportation may endear him to them more, so hey, it all balances out?

because most Gays I know are Conservatives, and many more have become conservatives
To counter you, all of the LGBT people I know are liberal, even here in the deep, dark, Red South. So that doesn't mean anything, really.

they blame Liberals for losing since California is 70% Democrat and only 30% Conservative.
As to whose "fault" it is that Prop 8, the anti-gay measure, was passed because because the Mormons pumped lot of money into it, along with the Catholic church.

Catholics, Mormons allied to pass Prop. 8

The Mormon Money Behind Proposition 8

Sorry this got so long!