Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

I was chatting with my neighbour tonight.Shes done medical tourism in Mexico[TJ and she loved it there].We were talking Mexico and she heard that robberys are happening at an alarming rate in the resorts.She didn't say specifically what locales but heard from others not to holiday in Mexico anymore.She said the criminals are targeting tourists in the resorts.Anyone know anything down there?

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

choco
This post was updated on .
It's been going on for a long time it seems. Read this log of resort robberies, druggings, etc etc. Oddly also there are many deaths from "balcony collapses":

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

I tried to copy/paste some of these stories, but could not do that successfully. All I can say is people vacationing should definitely read these stories.

Granted these are a small percentage of the millions of tourists who visit MX and stay in resorts... but still, this information should be better known.

Was able to copy this:
August 28, 2013
Name:  Helen
My 17 year old son just returned from visiting Cancun Mexico. I allowed him to go with his friend and his mom and dad. On his return he informs me that at 5 am he was awoken by 2 security guards banging on the door demanding he had stolen a fire extinguisher my son denied this and they ransacked his room made him empty his pockets and took 50.00 of the 52.00 he had. After reading all the horrible events on this site I can only conclude that if my son had not been compliant or tried in any way to fight of being robbed he would have been another   balcony story that the Mexicans would have reported as a suicide. Thank God my son made it home alive. He stayed at the Grand Oasis Cancun August 2013

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

1966tinman
I remember back in the mid 1980's my father , cousin , and I were driving down through northern Mexico during the Easter week along with thousands of Mexicans returning from the U.S. The Mexican police and highway patrols were stopping vehicles and extorting money for minor infractions . We stopped at a roadside restaurant in a small town and noticed a small sedan that was occupied by an overweight and passed out  uniformed officer parked across the road . The officer came into the cafe and took a table next to us . He ordered a menudo and some beers  . I noticed he pulled out a wallet and started counting out money , American money . He would lose count and start pounding the table  . He must have extorted about a couple of thousand dollars from the returning countrymen .  When we went to pay the waitress asked us if we would help fix the officer's tire since he needed a jack to lift his vehicle . We obliged and changed the tire while he drank his beers  while sitting under a shade tree . When we were about to leave he pulled out a hundred dollar bill and gave it to me . My father gave me a stern look and I returned the bill . He then asked my father if he would sell him the Chevy Silverado we were driving . Extorting money and taking bribes is a Mexican institution that is as old as Mexico .
Mtz

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

Mtz
Today in Tamps. they would have made you change the tire at gun point and stole your pick up.

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

GCMH
I've traveled to Cancun several times this year staying at different resorts each time and it was fine. No problems.

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

Moros

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

I was told by a 3 year ex-pat living in San Felipe BC that theres a huge number of gated communities called Eldorado Ranch built by an American developer.The have a guard at the gate[Mexicans].Many people have vacation homes and go there for 6 months.The other 6 they go back where they came from.Some of the people before leaving after the winter would talk to the guards and say Im leaving,can you make sure you safeguard my home.Well they would return 6 months later and all their solar panels for electricity were gone.The guards were stealing it for their own personal grow ops so after that no 1 would say when they were leaving.That sucks,the 1s supposedly safeguarding and getting paid to protect were the thieves.[Sound familiar?like the police in Mexico].

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

choco
Happens all the time with "guards".... they give a false sense of security.

Candiana... did you read the posts on the link I put in an above comment? Many, many, many stories of 4 and 5 star resorts drugging and robbing people. I'm sure the reports are the tip of the iceberg cus it's kind of hard to find that site.

The recurrent theme is drugging while in a swim up bar... or worse, drownings in a swim up bar with the "EMTs" standing by and doing nothing... can you imagine?  But anyway... it appears that the point to drugging people in the swimming pools or other bars is to get them to go to the hospital where the second crime occurs... they are held hostage for outrageous sums of money by the hospital until they pay and then can be released to go home. Some of the schemes are thwarted cus the people just get violently ill in their hotel rooms... but it happens enough at high end resorts to know it is a pattern and money maker for them.

The staff at one hotel tried to rob a young man and he didn't have enough money so they held his head under water for a very long time... several times. He was 6'3" and 220 lbs and when he finally made it back to his friends, after 6 panicked hours for them, he was crying and thought he was going to die. The staff was cold and said he had caused a problem so had been removed.

Similar thing happened to one woman's son.   Obviously does not happen to everyone, or there would probably be more publicity... but for the people it does happen to... they are extremely traumatized and just want to get the hell out of there.

Many, many other stories going back years. There were many stories in 2013.

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

I tried to go on that link Choco but my security said dangerous website.Thats horrible about the 'water torture' and the 'balcony accidents'.I sent my 17 year old son to PV for his high school grad.He was in a 3 hotel resort 10 K north of PV.1 night he hung out with 2 of the Mexican staff.They told him they like to put the date rape drug in peoples drinks for fun.[or is it some other sinister motive]?The week he was there I of the high school kids had to be rushed to hospital with a $2500 bill that insurance wouldn't cover because it was an illegal drug even though the kid didn't take it.Ive met many single white men that have been robbed in Mexico being inebriated.Gotta be careful getting shitfaced down there,then you are vulnerable.

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

Mexico-Watcher
choco wrote
Happens all the time with "guards".... they give a false sense of security.

....  Many, many, many stories of 4 and 5 star resorts drugging and robbing people. I'm sure the reports are the tip of the iceberg cus it's kind of hard to find that site....

  But anyway... it appears that the point to drugging people in the swimming pools or other bars is to get them to go to the hospital where the second crime occurs... they are held hostage for outrageous sums of money by the hospital until they pay and then can be released to go home. Some of the schemes are thwarted cus the people just get violently ill in their hotel rooms... but it happens enough at high end resorts to know it is a pattern and money maker for them.
Choco: Thanks for posting these troubling incidents.  I was especially disgusted that hospitals and medical personnel are implicated in criminal scams to fleece tourists.

 The outside tourism world will eventually get the word that Mexico is too risky to visit because you can't trust anybody ... from the taco vender, guard, maid, cop, lawyer,  or even nurses and doctors.  Mexico is truly beautiful, but why travel there if you have to worry about virtually everything... including cocktails or the food one consumes ?

Acapulco as a tourism venue  has already been destroyed by violence and corruption; isn't this enough of a lesson for Mexico to stop killing their golden geese?

Your reference to this powerfully informative web site is valuable for anyone thinking of touring Mexico.  I found the stories of bad incidents very disturbing for many reasons.     Thanks again,   I am re-posting the web site to encouarge our readers to visit it.    http://mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

_Jack

Re: Are the all inclusive resorts getting dangerous in Mexico?

Mexico-Watcher
Jack:  The topic of this thread is Mexico"!  We are well aware that many places in the USA are dangerous for tourists to be wandering about.  You seem to be minimizing or deflecting off the main topic.

Here in the USA, as far as I am aware, cops, merchants, taxi drivers, and health or helping professionals are approachable and honest.  This appears to not be the case in tourist cities like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta.

In general, in the USA, in cases of tourists' accidents or homicides, law enforcement, forensic sciences resources, the media, and other machinery goes into action to try and figure out what happened. Even ordinary citizens will often volunteer to help any tourist in need or distress as I've personally witnessed  myself.  And this seems to be the case in most of the civilized world that I am aware of.

Again, it appears that Mexico has no reliable or honest mechanisms to help strangers in need or trouble.  In Mexico, who can tourists turn to if there is a dire emergency of any kind?  A cop? Lawyer? taxi driver? hospital personnel?  merchant? Who?

Mexico has serious problems of crime and corruption that all tourists must be aware of.  Deal with this truth because the sooner we do, the sooner Mexico will have to take corrective actions.

Mexico-Watcher

Here is the web site Choco posted.  Please visit and read the cases.

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html