After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

By Anne-Marie O’Connor, Published: October 26 Washington Post

Tijuana, Mexico — “When will this end?” Adela Navarro Bello, editor of the Tijuana newsweekly Zeta, asked with a look of ire.

In Nuevo Laredo, the beheaded body of a blogger, Maria Elizabeth Macias Castro, 39, had been dumped near a computer keyboard with a note signed by a major drug cartel mocking the pseudonym — “Girl From Laredo” — that she had hoped would protect her.

“In Mexico the crimes against journalists are never solved,” Navarro said. “The special prosecutor’s office for crimes against journalists keeps saying, ‘It wasn’t because of their work as journalists.’ It’s terrible. What is the message? That in Mexico you can assassinate a journalist and not go to jail?”

Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries for journalists, and Tijuana, the sunny, friendly Pacific Coast border city that has been marred by drug cartel violence, has been a punishing home for Zeta.

Two of its journalists have been slain. Zeta’s founder, the pioneering Mexican muckraker Jesus Blancornelas, survived a 1997 assassination attempt by the Arellano Felix drug cartel, and he ran the paper with around-the-clock bodyguards before his death from cancer in 2006.

Now Navarro is an heir to this perilous legacy. On Thursday in New York, the International Women’s Media Foundation will give Navarro its Courage in Journalism award because “she has refused to remain silent, despite repeated warnings that she is being targeted by drug cartels.”

“She is a genuinely independent journalist, in very difficult circumstances — I respect her a lot,” said Julio Scherer, founder of Proceso, the influential weekly in Mexico City.

On a recent day, Navarro sat in Zeta’s conference room under a sort of shrine to her late mentor, with a blown-up photograph of the bespectacled, gentlemanly Blancornelas and his manual typewriter. Wearing black pants, high heels and a stylish white blouse with black embroidery, she thumbed her BlackBerry as she spoke with a straight-to-the-point cool that contrasts with the manner of her courtly, white-haired predecessor.

But she shares her old boss’s sense of outrage, and his impatience, in her criticism of the government’s handling of the drug war.

“Of course they should confront the narcotics traffickers,” she said. “But you can’t just just go for the head. You can’t cut off the head of the cartel, but as long as there is financial backing, five more will take their place. They have to go after the financial structure.”

“They say [Joaquin] Chapo Guzman is worth a billion dollars,” Navarro said of the drug lord whose organization is said to control the Tijuana corridor into the United States. “Where is that money? Where are their investments?

“This is what is lacking in the strategy of [Mexican President Felipe] Calderon,” she said. “Confiscate the houses. Confiscate the bank accounts.”

It is telling that Navarro is willing to talk about Mexico’s most powerful drug lord, yet when asked specific questions about her family, she stiffens.

“I don’t speak of my children,” she said. “I don’t speak of my private life. I don’t want to expose my private life. . . . Unfortunately, the cartel that dominates Baja California doesn’t threaten. They act. You have a disadvantage. They know where you live, where you work, where you go.”

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

Rocio

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

This woman is a bonafide hero ("shero")

Funny you should ask of how to help. I was trying to create a way to help and I was struck by her simple but huge goal of getting the word out on the drug war/violence.  Not only in Mx but to the world.  So I thought wow, how about if I created a template and begin a campaign on Twitter-FB-MySpace and libre networks and have a user friendly form letter to send to the Nobel Peace Prize Committee to consider this outstanding, selfless, heroic woman.  I mean if Nobama rec the honor for nada, she is a shoe in...right?

well....then I found this

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/nomination/nominators.html

and realize it is bullshit greater than i thought.  so i have not yet ventured to the list of "qualified" nominators, but another thought would be for me to compose an appeal to those qualified and back it up with thousands of letters and prompt them to nominate her...which begins in December.

BUT...my time is so darn limited and getting worse, so I am still thinking  " she is so deserving...and Mexico truly has so few selfless heros....."  I should do it.

as for us and freezing assets.  Mexico of course is a sovereign state, in which they make decisions for themselves without interference from others.

too bad

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

I like her, I am impressed.   I've thought for the last few years that they had some sort of agreement with Zeta, some sort of non aggression policy, maybe internal, rather then with Zeta maybe, because I don't think anyone from that paper has been bothered since before 2005.  I remember when Tigrillo ordered those cops executed in 2006, and they found the heads in TJ and the bodies in Rosarito, and Zeta had a big story on it, I thought something would happen, but nothing came of it.  But, I have no idea what these peoples daily lives are like.

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

Rocio

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

their daily lives are imprisonment.
their children, as you probably know J are protected in a way that I don't want to reveal in anyway.
I do not believe there is any agreement.
I will try and dig up an excellent article written that depicted her life and that of the others.

she is amazing

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

she wouls have the right of refusal for consideration, but they have received countless of prestigious awards.  My thinking on the Nobel prize is that she would be able to realize a goal of having the world know what has happened in Mx, and best case scenario would be that with that "education" many op and change could manifest for the Mexican people.

most of the world has no clue what is happening..

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

this was just sent to me...

http://knightcenter.utexas.edu/en/node/7875

Re: After 2 Z Mag Reporters slain-Her life-threatening task to assure TJ Zeta Mag Continues - Adela Bello Navarro

Havana
A little late weighing in here but I think you have an excellent idea.  Let's figure something out.