Activity in Cancun and Merida?

phoebe
Hello everyone. I traveled to Cancun three times in the past year for various vacations, most recently August 18th-22nd. I have made friends with local shop keepers and restaurant owners. On the day of my arrival I made my rounds to say hello to everyone. To my surprise several of my friends were scared and reported being beaten by mafiosa. The beatings served as both a warning to my friends to not have any dealings with locals and tourists to sell drugs because it was someone elses' turf now and also to punish some perceived dealings. I say perceived because my friend is, WAS should I say, a small time middleman who doesn't make his living that way. He mostly directed people to someone who could make the deal and very small amounts too, maybe an oz. but usually far less, not threatening to the drug lords. My friend says they dress like 'Policia' and look identical so that there is no way to tell who the police are and who the criminals are. He told me even though he has lived his whole life in Cancun he is looking to get out because it is not safe and there is no where to turn for protection.

This sobered my thinking and made me sad for my friends and angry that Cancun too is being infiltrated. However, when I returned home to research I have been unable to find much information on what cartels, drug lords etc. are involved.  Does anyone know?

Also, this same week in Cancun I had a far more interesting and terrifying experience at The City, the biggest nightclub in Cancun and Latin America for that matter. I lost the friends I came with and finally gave up looking and decided to just have fun. I being my congenial self, aided by alcohol, made friends with a few people in the bottle service area. I'm too scared to give too many details but I was offered a ride to my hotel which I refused at first but I was persuaded by one of the girls that it would be safer than walking. I was not taken to my hotel but was instead taken to their condo. I begged to be let go but I was not allowed. The next several hours were a nightmare but I survived. I also pumped them for information without them realizing what I was doing. To my surprise the man in charge and his entire entourage were from none other than Merida. These people had henchman to drive them around in brand new white Chevy Suburbans and it seemed to be a well organized group. But Merida? Doesn't get many headlines and I'm not aware of any cartels operating there but what I saw was no joke.

Any thoughts on Cancun, Merida and who is operating there?

Re: Activity in Cancun and Merida?

Smurf
Mostly the Beltrans are fighting amongst themselves, La Familia and Los Zetas are also in the area. There are a few posts about it, I admit we haven't been keeping up with that part of the war as much as we would like. Something to strive for...

Re: Activity in Cancun and Merida?

Jerry
Phoebe=Maybe someday your small time dealer or agent if you wish can be the next named cartel.I'm sure they all had to get a start somewhere.And you wonder what  the hell is wrong with Mexico!.I know ,only a gram or so.   Jerry U.S.A.

Re: Activity in Cancun and Merida?

anonymous
I travel to either Cancun or Ixtapa twice a year and your right things have changed in the past year. I will no longer go to Ixtapa there is just to much danger in the surrounding areas which suck because Ixtapa is a laid back Cancun more peaceful and beautiful than Cancun. Cancun now has a felling of your being watched even if your walking through the Hotel zone going from bar to bar. Just three years ago I was leaving a bar and literally was so drunk I could barely see or walk. I escorted my girlfriend and some friends that traveled with us back to hotel hours prior to this so I was literally a target for anyone.  I barely remember anything the following morning how I got back to the hotel or anything. Come to find out the gentlemen that runs all the activities for the hotel guest at the resort got up out of bed came and found me put me a cab and escorted all the way to my  room. He did this because my girlfriend had gone to the front desk and said she was worried about me and front desk instead of seeing her go looking for me let this great guy go find me. Same guy(Isreal) this year was not as juvial or did not go out with the guests on the bus activities to bars. We tip him like he is a rockstar before he came and found me that previous time and  this year when were there so he is realy a good person but told me that now things are different and he hopes it gets better. I always said if the violence gets to the hotel zone in Cancun then  mexico has gone to hell. And i guess we are almost there.