AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

leChef
AMLO has for some reason, unclear to me, a conviction that the National Guard will solve all security issues in Mexico. In recent days he has been en route to dismantle the Federal Police and assimilate them into the national guard, and the ones who does not fit, are supposed to guard buildings, if I understand it correctly. Not surprisingly, the federales have mounted strikes against their benefits being taken away at the same time. Commentators are saying CJNG and other DTOs are laughing and are ready to recruit disgruntled officers.

Is there a good argument for establishing yet another security force? It seems like almost every former president have tried to form a new and uncorrupted police entity. Maybe it's part of their job description, or maybe it is part of that never ending sandbox where you whack the other kids castle and build your own.

Re: AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

ESLiero
Mexicos volatile Policía Federal have been the most “corrupt” in Mexico for over a decade. They act just like a cartel and their ranks are full of “chilangos” from the grimiest streets of Mexico City. Then chilangos don’t know about an honest days work, it’s a city of thieves.

Re: AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

I have been in Jalisco all week and noticed the new national guard presence.  People tell me, it is the same people, same guns with new cars and uniforms.
MX

Re: AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

MX
In theory, it's a step closer to the "demilitarization" of the drug war. The logic is that the National Guard will assist soldiers in their anti-crime efforts, and eventually replace the military and allow them to return to their barracks once the police is ready nationwide. But EPN tried to do the same when he created the National Gendarmerie (though he only hired fresh recruits with no military or police experience, leadership was filled with veterans from the military and the federal police). Staffing this new police with military/federal police officers who may have been involved in human right violations (i.e. Tlatlaya, Tanhuato–Ecuandureo, etc.) is problematic; the military is not meant to be a civilian force, and staffing military officers to the National Guard will slow down efforts to fully "professionalize" the force. Now, who the hell is going to train and staff the National Guard then? It has to be the military, who's been fighting this war for over a decade.

In addition, like you mentioned, the problem is that these new police forces are radically reshaped after every administration, so it's really hard to see if there's any positive results in improving security. If you ask me, I think this National Guard is just more of the same.

Re: AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

Mosco
Sad situation.  Changing the clothes of corrupt minions is doomed to fail.  There is nothing more demoralizing than great ideas and intentions going bust.  Hitler was a virtual God until he started losing.... then, failures made him an object of scorn and ridicule.  AMLO, will soon start to experience serious declines in followers.
To all the criminal and corrupt Mexicans who have made Mexico what it is today, " be patient" AMLO is just a effete visionary passing through history like a mere leaf in a hurricane.

Re: AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

More of the same, I hear you. Another sexenio down the drain...

Re: AMLO and dismantling of the Federal Police

Parro
First fight with the new National Guard in Guanajuato.