President López Obrador has urged Mexicans to stay at home as much as possible to help limit the spread of Covid-19 as the number of confirmed cases rose more than 20% on Friday from 585 to 717.
In a video message posted to social media, López Obrador said that if people follow the instruction to stay at home, they will help to contain the coronavirus outbreak and as a result the healthcare system won’t be overwhelmed and there will be fewer deaths.
“We have to be in our homes, we have to maintain a healthy distance [from each other]. … We can go out for essential reasons but we shouldn’t go out to the street without there being something truly necessary that compels us to go out,” he said.
“The best thing is to stay at home. … Let’s maintain this retreat that will help us a lot,” López Obrador added.
Speaking from a hotel in Tijuana, Baja California, on Friday night, the president explained that government workers who are not directly engaged in providing essential services have already been given permission to stay at home. He called on businesses in the private sector to allow their employees to work from home if possible.
“If we don’t retreat to our homes, [Covid-19] cases will shoot up and the hospitals will be inundated even though we’re prepared to receive thousands,” López Obrador said.
He also called on Mexicans to not seek medical care for Covid-19 if they don’t have the telltale symptoms of the virus.
“If there is no fever, no dry cough, no extreme discomfort in the body … and no difficulty in breathing, we don’t have problems – let’s not go to the doctor or to the hospital, let’s try to stay at home. … If we have these symptoms, let’s go to the nearest doctor for an analysis but only, I repeat, if there is fever, a dry cough, difficulty in breathing,” López Obrador said.
He concluded his message expressing confidence that the economy will recover quickly once Mexico gets through the worst of the pandemic, asserting “we’ve always succeeded in the face of adversity.”
The president’s appeal for people to stay at home came five days after he urged Mexicans not to stop going out and supporting businesses such as restaurants and cheap diners.
“Don’t stop going out, we’re still in the first stage [of the coronavirus outbreak]. I’ll tell you when not to go out,” he said in a video message last Sunday.
Two days later, however, federal health authorities announced that Mexico had entered a phase of local transmission of Covid-19 and Deputy Health Minister Hugo López-Gatell said Thursday that phase 3 of the coronavirus outbreak, in which community transmission of the disease is widespread and cases number in their thousands, is inevitable.
Prior to López Obrador’s video address, the Health Ministry announced 132 new confirmed cases of Covid-19, the largest single-day increase since the disease was first detected in Mexico at the end of February.
Of the 717 confirmed cases, 54 are considered community transmission cases while the remainder are linked to overseas travel or direct contact with someone who recently returned to Mexico from abroad.
Mexico City continues to have the highest number of cases followed by Jalisco, México state, Nuevo León and Puebla.
The government’s director of epidemiological information, Christian Arturo Zaragoza Jiménez, told a press conference that there are also 2,475 suspected Covid-19 cases and that 3,542 people had tested negative for the disease.
He said that 11% of the 717 people confirmed to have coronavirus are in the hospital while the other 89% are recovering at home. Among those hospitalized, 63% are in stable condition, 30% are in serious condition and 7% – five patients – are intubated, Zaragoza said.
The official announced that the Covid-19 death toll had increased to 12, explaining that 83% of those who have died – 10 patients – were men and the other 17%, or two, were women. Zaragoza said that the most common pre-existing health conditions in those who have died are obesity, hypertension, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
At the same press conference, Dr. Víctor Hugo Borja, a medical director at the Mexican Social Security Institute, said that one advantage Mexico has in confronting the coronavirus pandemic is that it has a younger population than Italy and Spain, where almost 15,000 Covid-19 patients have died.
However, he added that “the disadvantage is the number of residents per home is higher here,” explaining that many Mexicans live with their extended families.
“That’s why the most important thing is to continue with social distancing,” Borja said.
He said that the coronavirus outbreak will affect Mexico’s large urban areas first before spreading to less populated areas, adding “it’s not expected” that the whole country will be affected by the disease at the same time.
The two officials said that the measures the government takes in response to the pandemic will be dictated by how it develops.
A social distancing initiative officially started on March 23 and is scheduled to run through April 19 but once Mexico enters phase 3 of the outbreak, stricter measures such as obligatory quarantine, a “health curfew” and restrictions on the departure and arrival of flights at Mexico’s airports, are likely to be enforced.
Source: Milenio (sp), Infobae (sp)
Anyone else that’s been watching and looking at numbers across the world wonder...
- Will Country XYZ stop testing people to suppress the numbers in order to maintain a perception of stability?
- Many have difficultly believing China for example is still testing. My opinion is they have stopped, but I don’t have proof either way.
- I have worried that this is a possibility with Mexico in a few weeks. Mexico is 15 days behind the United States at best.
Something is going on in China. day before yesterday they closed all theaters....yesterday closed their borders to all non citizens. I think there is a CV 2.0 in china.
their tests were exceedingly faulty. the ones they gave to europe were tossed after finding a low rate of accuracy and the donated ventilators malfuntioned.
It is scary to think of the spread if there is a 2.0
i posted pics my husband sent me this week he took outside our apartment. you can see normal traffic in our city of 120-130M people.
everything was back to normal, so in the case of spreading it may be worse than the first go. of course we will never know because they lie worse than mexico.
Hong Kong did report a second wave and shut the borders and have mandatory quarantine
The way I see it.... the more people that don't like me, the less people I have to please
Chivas/Mica = news is reporting today that people in China that tested positive, negative and now again positive again are either the second wave or faulty testing. China is known to use a nucleic type that is reported to be unreliable. Hopefully this is the case.
If it's the second wave, Jared Diamond, wrote in the Pulitzer Prize winner, "Guns, Germs and Steel", that in the second or possibly third wave, it can be as deadly, particularly the second. China, while seemingly past the first wave, is eager to open it's economy and Trump says, get ready to work after Easter. Both are premature, and there will be no restart of either.
We watch Iran, Italy and Spain, the early victims of this disease. Italy, today passed 900 deaths. They thought they had turned the corner, the others as well, even Germany and S. Korea. Not to be the case in reality, we continue to watch the trajectories of 1st and 2nd level infections/deaths and we have a ways to go, for the whole world.
I don't want to be a fear-monger or herd mentality feeder. I know we just have a way to go, so urge self-isolation, social distancing . . . . That's when we beat this germ which has almost killed in a quarter of a year, the total for homicide in Mexico last year. But this germ, will only exponentially grow, while the cartels shrink.
Best wishes and stay healthy!
In reply to this post by Mica
New stats are showing how proficient the US is getting at giving test. This thing how turned political very fast. The big red states (Texas and Florida) do not want to close commerce and it’s being enforced at the city or county. For example HOUSTON is in Harris County which is ranked high nationally in size and population over 5 million.
To think only 25K test have been given to the entire state is ridiculous and way behind. Suppression?
Mica, I'd chalk it up to incompetence. We asked everyone to test throughout our workplace, but no one could because you had to show symptoms, fever, respiratory problems, severe aches??
This is not right. How did the NBA players get tested, Navy, get tested? Because it's biased for those who have the money to pay for the same.
We see where Abbott has a test coming, that reads the result in minutes and the other tests that Chivas addresses in the main page, skin punctures, etc.
Testing is needed now. Not a state, but a federal duty. Where are the tests?
Sorry, AMLO doesn't get it. Sorry Mexico, this is what you got, thinking and praying for you. It's not the flu, it's much worse, more lethal. 3% mortality rate is not good.
I totally agree. AMLO is a "thouchy feely" guy...... Mexico is fuked.... The Mexican masses will panic... some will run to their Santos including Santa Muerte. They will flock together in prayer everywhere.
What wIll the government do now that the oligarchs and naro-cartels run everyhing?
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|