A ray of hope

I don't know if Calderon or the Atty. Gen. has been reading BB or maybe they are just as smart as we are, but the following was reported in the WSJ todays edition.

"MEXICO CITY—Hundreds of federal detectives, prosecutors, forensics experts and other staff from Mexico's Attorney General's Office are being investigated amid suspicion of links to organized crime, the latest corruption scandal to hit Mexico's government.

Mexican Attorney General Marisela Morales said late on Tuesday that the agency was in the process of firing 424 officials, the majority for failing to pass lie-detector tests and other measures aimed at rooting out corruption.

"We are strengthening our vigilance to make sure that our own officials abide by the law," Ms. Morales said in a speech."

It is a start in the right dirction..

Re: A ray of hope

Chupacabra
um...where will those people go after getting fired?

Re: A ray of hope

El Regio
DD I don't believe Calderon gets the credit he really deserves. First of all he will not be able to finish off the vast amount of corruption during his Presidency, most likely the next President won't be able to change things either. This will take generations to change, and most important of all the people need to change their mindset or it will only get worse!

Re: A ray of hope

ArmChairIntellect
I believe it will only take one generation Regio, history likes to repeat itself.  I wonder how many believe this is a ploy and that these people are just being persecuted?  I hope this becomes a trend, slowly rebuilding the system.  I hope this is true, it cant happen overnight.  First time I have seen prosecutes and judges being fired, they are the ones that seemed to have been overlooked.  Too bad we will most likely never know what happens, just another story, to be forgotten tonight.....

Re: A ray of hope

curioso
Whatever it is, it's nice to at least try and have some positive thoughts in the midst of all this madness! Hopefully it's the start of a trend that will continue.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Re: A ray of hope

Havana
Good evening and thank you for the post DD. I live for little rays of hope towards resolution of this corruption problem.  In my excitement, I'm jumping the gun, huh? But it seems so long coming, yes?  Definitely a positive step. I'd like to have this trend repeated often and reported on bi-monthly.  And I'd also like to never read lies again.  Two steps too far.

Re: A ray of hope

@ Chucacabra.  I think your concern about unemployment is a little misplaced here.  My concern is where and when they will be tried for corruption.  Todays Washington Post says AG charged 111 for "fraud, embezzlement, and abuse of power", and another 192 fired for "botched investigations"  It concerns me a little that I don't see the word "corruption" included in the charges.  If they are in fact involved in accepting bribes and corruption, I think is very important they be charged with that and not have it glossed over by charges of "fraud and embezzlement".  The MX people need to see some prosecutions for corruption to instill in them some faith in their govt.