A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mexico-Watcher
Jack:
_Jack wrote
It's alright, I think most people here already know I'm a woman.
 Jack: You had me fooled. I always assumed you were a man.
Just so you know, I am one of those men who was brought up to hide signs of "undue" fear,  pain, unease, worry... I was socialized to endure hardships, cold, hunger, hard physical work without "whinning" or wimping out. Sure, we certainly could complain to our peers about things but "not" to outsiders who might exploit this as signs of weaknesses.

Also, being stoic and in command of one's emotions has great survival value in dangerous situations. Great leaders often have to be cold blooded thinkers and actors to save his "weaker" peers from panic or wrong actions.  Warfare and dangerous occupations epitomize the laboratories where strong manliness are "essential" characteristics of leadership.

 No body is safe when everyone is freaking out. Historically, and biologically , the leader commands and inspires and controls his followers by being the epitomy of masculine tough and not effete in nature. The WW II German submarine warfare, movie epic "Das Boot" epitomizes what I am trying to convey here that in times of greate danger "manliness" is essential or the ship and crew are lost.

As you doubtless know, humans and many other creatures are of two genetically distinct genders that are determinants of behavior. In man, with his exquisite ability to obscure and symbolize underlying biological imparatives, it is sometimes hard to detect this.

I am a firm believer that "both" feminism and masculinity (machismo) are essential biological imperatives that modern society has redefined ... sometimes with questionable or unintended consequences.   To become manly must be learned and practiced through such things as play and work.  To become manly or feminized is largely determined by our societal milieu, historic cultural times, and underlying biological gender imperatives.

Finally, I have been in many situations where I could have shown "feminine" emotional sensitivity but acted according to powerful ingrained masculine imperatives learned in my upbringing.  I am a "man" who likes to think that he is strong,  kind and sensitive  but not overty emotional  where this can be mistaken for femininity or weakness.  One day, I may be in some terrible situation where I may be called to cooly but authoritatively command to people in danger "Follow me! This way!"  Officer Lozano did just such a thing during the recent San Diego massacre when he led people to safety.  It makes me proud that this officer kicked in his "machismo" as I idealize this concept.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

I was wondering from your answers as Im sure other people were.You strike me as highly educated and an intellectual but aside from that your handle name Jack [male] and the photo [female] even though I know its not likely your name or photo is just opposing sexes enough to confuse us all.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

MW being a woman I think its more acceptable and advantageous for us to use both so called male and female traits being able to switch back and forth like disciplining our children or dangerous situations.I can see you have a very analytical mind.I have a curious mind but in the 2 pickles in Mexico I found myself in [dangerous situations] I used fearlessness to my advantage.I was scared shitless but if I had of screamed in the incident with the gun I would have been done for.The other incident with the guy following me for 200 k and I couldn't find a cop in sight [maybe that was a good thing]I was also scared shitless but would not dare show it.I got extremely aggressive with the guy and I don't think he expected that and left me alone.I used logic and not emotion in those 2 situations:I guess so called masculine traits.For so called feminine traits pretty much the only men Ive seen as 'drama kings' which I call them are alcoholics and drug addicts.It doesn't seem acceptable unfortunately for men to show empathy.Its 1 of the 1st traits I taught my son when teaching him to share with people more unfortunate.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

_Jack

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mexico-Watcher
canadiana wrote
[...]
Canadiana : This post helps me understand you a tad better.  You are one cool calculating strong woman who would probably be a great leader of men in dangerous situations.  Florence Nightingale of WW I , Golda Meir, and Margret Thatcher come to mind here. Also, ordinary some rather ordinary women I've known.

 I was in a Venice Calif biker  bar years ago where a couple of bikers were brutally  stomping  a man.   A 5' 2" barmaid came to the scene and cooly but firmly commanded the bikers to cease stomping the man. Like magic, the brawny thugs switched off their actions.  The badly beaten man was dragged out and dumped in the alley behind the bar while things rapidly returned to normal as if nothing had happened.  We can endlessly analyze the event as to the psychology and sociology of the event and come to many conclusions, but it still remains that under certain circumstances some women are truly heroic commanding figures.

About men and displying empathy:  Men in many societies are socialized to be stoic and hide signs of fear, discomfort, pain, or "feminine" emotions in certain situations.  It can be very dangerous to one's group to break down and emote and, thus, it seems a  learned as well as biological imperatives to "hide" empathy until the danger has past and it is safe to do so in an appropriate setting and manner.  This whole area of empathy ( and related topics) is very complicated as studies on PTSD in soldiers, medical people, firemen, police, boxers, and Nazi concentration camp survivors show.

So, bottom line, I think it is unfair to think that men should to be effete in ordinary society.  People should understand that many men are actually "internally" empathetic to the hurts and misfortunes of others but are programed not to show this.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

MW comparing me to those heroines lets not go that far.I had to do what I had to do.Didnt have much choice and I think survival instinct kicked in.Now if I had have been forced into some car nowadays with armed sicarios to the ranch I wouldn't have a hope in hell no matter what I did or didn't do.The orders are given by someone else to be killed and almost no one escapes those ranches.Thanks for your enlightment on the male empathy issue.I think I understand more of that now.Sometimes peoples actions speak louder than their words.I gather you are a mental health professional of some sort who dreams of travelling Mexico again like the 80s.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

DD
Canadiana Y MW.  I had just finished reading your discussion on on machismo and strong women when I clicked over to the news and saw this story.  thought you might enjoy.

Christian female fighters take on IS in Syria

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-female-fighters-syria-034351003.html

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
DD wrote
Canadiana Y MW.  I had just finished reading your discussion on on machismo and strong women when I clicked over to the news and saw this story.  thought you might enjoy.

Christian female fighters take on IS in Syria

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-female-fighters-syria-034351003.html
DD: Thanks for the very interesting article ...it is certainly timely and apropose. As I reacted to the article, I couldn't help but think of Mexico's Adelitas and the many known and unknown courageous women who have died or are living "fighting" for a better Mexico.

My mind is swirling with thoughts of heroic Mexican women of all classes who are an important part of past and current history.

Our very own Chivis, for example,  is certainly one of these heroines who must never be forgotten.

She is a brilliant, multidimensional, courageous  leader who fights for good in sick and troubled Mexico.  God love, bless, and protect her and all the other women battling in their own ways to save Mexico.

DD, maybe some of our forum members can post their heroine candidates here (either as individuals or as in groups like the armed AD members of la tierra caliente) .  I think getting such a list put together will be both interesting as well as possibly lead to other positive spin-offs.  Kick this idea around with you BB peers, see what happens.

I will start looking through my files for data on this topic. It might really be interesting what comes up.
Mexico-Watcher
12