A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Just wondering as Ive heard so many stories on here and others travelling in Mexico.Ive probably driven 40-50,000 kms. in Mexico and happened only once south of TJ.I wasn't wearing a helmut.Apparently its a municipal law rather than state law or so the cop told me.I just wondered if the machismo society has anything to do with it then the cops would be more likely to prey on men who they may think have more $ and are more likely to play into that game.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

_Jack

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mexico-Watcher
canadiana wrote
Just wondering as Ive heard so many stories on here and others travelling in Mexico.Ive probably driven 40-50,000 kms. in Mexico and happened only once south of TJ.I wasn't wearing a helmut.Apparently its a municipal law rather than state law or so the cop told me.I just wondered if the machismo society has anything to do with it then the cops would be more likely to prey on men who they may think have more $ and are more likely to play into that game.
Canadian Gurl: I am much impressed by your extensive travels through Mexico.  With this much experience, I should think you could be giving us some pointers on how to travel in Mexico safely.

You leave me wondering about many things as to how you've done this tremendous fete.

For example, some of the questions roiling in my mind are:
1.  Do you know enough of the  Mexican language and culture to get along easily or?
2a.  What do you look like when you travel and stop to eat, rest, shop, or rest over night?
2b.  If you are an an attractive woman...what tactics do you use to prevent innapropriate advances or even rape?
2c. Have you tactics or plans to avoid being kidnapped for ransom or sexual exploitation?
3a. Have Mexican or people who know Mexico ever warned you dangers to avoid in your travel adventures?
3b. If yes to 3a, tell about these instances.

Canadian Gurl, about the "machismo" concept. From my perspective, this concept is often misconstrued negatively by Americans.  Machismo has positive aspects that are linked to manliness, stoicism,  gentlemanliness, kindliness, and even knighthood. In some quarters, being considered "muy macho" is a tribute reserved for such figures as vaqueros, toreadors, boxers, etc.  At least for me, the gallant knight errant, Don Quixote de La Mancha,  epitomizes true chivalrous  machismo.

Feminist and ignorant others, especially in the US, I feel have taken the concept of "machismo" and corrupted it by associating the concept with thuggishness, brutish , disrespect, exploitation and oppression of women.  I was raised to think that being considered "muy macho" was honorable.

I hope others jump in and contribute to this thread.
Mexico-Watcher

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

choco
Your comments are the ones that are ignorant MW.... many women, friends of mine, travel all over mexico by themselves, attractive and even, gasp!!, unattractive ones. Jeebus. It is not an anomaly worthy of a multi-part survey. How long ago did you move from Mexico?

And to answer your question canadiana... many of my women friends have been "fleeced" by the cops of all ilks. They are equal opportunity scammers apparently. Money is money in their book. I even know of an elderly woman on the highway to Laredo who was pulled over by some thugs wielding guns... she lowered her window a couple of inches and chewed them out for holding up an elderly person, since they are "supposed" to respect elders in this culture... she let them have it, stuck 200 pesos out the window and they drove away.  I thought that was pretty funny!  A novel approach to shooing off thugs...
Mtz

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mtz
3 women were kidnapped in Matamores last month I think 2 never found and one returned and died in hospital. The cartel doesn't seem to matter man or woman. We had woman family member kidnapped by Zetas. I always thought the Gulf did not kidnap, I guess I am wrong.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

To answer some of your ?s MW my Spanish fluency is maybe 30-35%.I have a lot of trouble with the verbs but much better than the average white tourist.The Mexicans seem to appreciate me trying.I don't expect them to speak English especially in the more rural off the beaten path areas.In the earlier travel days I carried an English/Spanish dictionary [sure came in handy].Im half French Canadian and half English.My mothers 1st language was French[shes from Quebec] but I never learned it.It would have helped me with those verbs.What used to bother me walking down the street in Mexico by myself was men used to cluck at me or make some weird vocal noises even cars passing by with men in it.Later when I dragged my 5 year old son to Mexico and walked down the street it miraculously stopped.Safety wise Mexicans never said too much but I had more than 1 Mexican woman invite me to stay with the family after knowing me maybe 15 mins. so I wondered later if they worried for my safety.Some of them I took up on the offer and I think it was a great cultural and memorable experience.[travelled extensively through Canada and US and never had offers like that] so needless to say I found the Mexican people very generous when they had less than me financially and very giving.I once had an offer from a single Mom with 10 kids that lived in a sticks and mud house for supper.Her stove was an upside down oil drum.She offered me a glass of milk[of course she didn't have a fridge] and handed 1 of  her kids an empty glass.He disappeared out back and milked the goat for a warm glass of milk.Boy that was a different experience.Another time I ran into a nomadic tribe in mid Baja who were totally fascinated by my curly hair and terrified of my Kawasaki 750 motorbike.Found out later I was the 1st white person they had ever seen.Im rambling but now you people know why I like to travel Mexico.I could not get those travel experiences in any 1st world country and very memorable.I will be thinking of these trips on my deathbed thinking boy have I ever lived.Most people go to Mexico for the weather and I started out that way too.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

O that's funny,the elderly lady on the hwy.Im sure these young punks didn't expect that.An ex Mexican boyfriend of mine in the 80s told me that cops don't usually bother with women because they argue and put up a fight too much but maybe times have changed and people  are more fearful than in the 80s except for that elderly woman on the hwy.Ha ha.]so that's why I asked that question.

Mtz I hope that kidnapping of your family member turned out alright [except for the $ loss].Sure seems like a no win situation down there for some when ransom is paid and person is disappeared.I read somewhere that that happens 30 % of the time.Al Queda dosent even do that when its a ransom thing for$.A lot of my travelling in Mexico were in the 80s before the Zetas.I had heard back then that only the rich elite Mexicans were at risk and of course they had bodyguards.[corruption can buy 1 a lot of protection].It just seems nowadays the kidnappers are so brazen[protected of course] and if they want to get you they will.If you decide to hole up in your house and be a hermit and never go out,youre not even safe there,theyll just storm the door down.What does a person do?Maybe join Chapo in 1 of his tunnels?They are so determined,not necessarily picking easier targets of opportunity.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mexico-Watcher
_Jack wrote
Haha! Defining machismo as 'manliness' is a tautology, mate.
Jack: Yeah, at first blush this might seem tautological.  However, as I tried to point out, the concept of "machismo" has been hijacked and corrupted by feminists and PC Nazis into a sexist and very negative concept from how I understood it in my lower class upbringing in Southwest Latino barrios.  To be manly was virtually a mandate for boys raised in decent families. To be a thug or punk was not true macho but considered the signs of ill breeding or cowardice masquerading as manliness.

 In my youth, even a weak skinny kid was considered a bona fide "macho" man if he had high values of honor and decency and a willingness to fight to the death if necessary in situations warranting this.  This was the code of the cabarello which some kids had inhertited from their upbringing.

I grew up exposed to positive "macho" role models in my parents, kin, and neighbors.  So my concept of a "macho" man  conjured decent, honest, courageous, stoic, nobel men the lkes of John Wayne or Pedro Infante in their movies.  A macho man was was not a thug or rude and crude among people, especially women.  In a sense, he was an idealized caballero, knight, or samurai  type persona and role model in my youthful eyes.  My stepbrother, Bobby, was a short nondescript, overweight, fun loving working stiff.  One day, an armed robber came into the bar where he was enjoying an after work beer with friends.  The robber was disarmed and totally nuetralized and readied for arrest by Bobby and bar patrons.  Bobby was feted as a barrio hero and rightfully judged to be muy macho.

Today, machimo is largely construed by many as a sexist  concept.  I fully understand that and I've pretty much given up even arguing about this... words change their meanings, I lose. No problem.

So, my friend, I do not agree with your  "Haha!" tautology accusation as my whole point in the first post was to point out differing definitions of the macho concept highjacked  into a feminazi sexist concept of "machismo".

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify my views.
Mexico-Watcher
Mtz

Canadiana,
Thanks for your concern, most this is happened in Tamps. My Grandmother is Mexican. We are a Spanish/ English speaking family. But have moved to the US for safety. I miss Mexico, thought this would be over by now. Its been 6 years, maybe safe again in 10 years. We all thought with the PRI back in power everything would settle down.

[...]

Canadiana:  You are one very interesting adventurous lady.    As we all know too well, for a host of reasons, Mexico has changed dramatically, especially over the past 25 years.   Could you provide a rough time frame of your Mexico travels so I can put your travels in temporal context?

I loved reading the vignettes of your colorful adventures.  If inclined, could you provide more? I enjoy reading them and they do help put things in context.  Also, more or less, when were you last in Mexico?

BTW- I traveled extensively in Mexico in my new VW bus in the 1980s with my family (wife and 2 kids) and had a wonderful and "totally" safe time.  I am a "pocho" Mexican-American who speaks passable "Mexican" and understand the culture enough to be comfortable in virtually any situation.  Given this, and from what has happened to Mexico since the 1980s, I would NOT risk traveling in Mexico today  as I did years ago.

Today, I could not trust any official or business person, cops, soldiers, street vendors, or even clerks in stores.  This is called "functional paranoia" and considered a rational form of fear in certain situations objectively defined as dangerous.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

MW my 1st time in Mex. was in '82.I went to TJ for the day and never wanted to go back to Mex.Found it grungy and dirty.A year later someone convinced to go to Ensenada for the weekend.Way different than TJ.I loved it so much I packed my bags and went myself for 3 months.After that I was living in LA at the time and would go there every 2nd weekend to get away from the crowds.I had met Mexican friends down there.I was in my mid-20s.This continued for a year then I moved back to Canada so could only go to Baja every 2 or 3 years over the last 3 decades.I tend to be pretty trusting of people [been accused of being naïve].Had a close call once of a robbery near Cabo [when Cabo had 2 dirt streets].Wrong place at the wrong time in a rural cul de sac on a dirt road asking for directions with 6 drunk Mex. men.The robbery was an afterthought for them and the man with the '45' was not too confident with the gun so I took off in a cloud of dust.I was lucky I was not shot in the back.Another time it was I think in Sinaloa or Michoacan I was followed for 200 kms.Halcone? I don't know.I finally stopped in a town and totally freaked on this guy in a public place and was able to lose him.My last trip was last year from Calgary to Cabo and back [9,300 km] in 23 days in May.All that trouble started in La Paz a month after I left so Im having 2nd thoughts about if I can ever go or do I have to do the all-inclusive thing?I have only found 1 person that will go with me to Mexico motorcycling besides my son and hes a Math Professor at 1 of the Universities .Hes more adventurous than me.He has trouble getting anyone to go with him but all he has to do is phone me up;Hey r u into another Baja run?I don't need too much convincing but as we get older we are more aware of the things that could go wrong and Chivis is right,check out the CURRENT situation where you are going and just because Ive made humpteen trips safely doesn't mean the next 1 is going to be.1 comment on MB said you are safe til you are not.Well put.
Mtz

I am thinking the day of visiting  Mexico is over. It is a failed state. A Mexican retired CIA guy, says its really bad, the politicos are just raping the country and coming to the US. Politicos are all politicos just steal and go to the US>

[...]

at
Canadiana: You are one very interesting and adventurous soul.  I think you should write a book that fleshes out some of your adventures.  Hijole! Some of the "pickels" you got into and out of are the stuff of good stories.
Thanks for responding ...Please write more if you are inclined.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Yeah but nothing compared to what Harry and that Aussie and Brit went through especially Harry.He was tortured before being terminated and he had survived another close call in Venezuela.When I read these horrific stories it reminds me of that near miss near Cabo in "83 and how lucky I was and how on mainland I wasn't forced off the road when I was followed but that was then and this is now.

Re: A nyone know if women are less likely to be fleeced by police

Mtz would it be safer to walk over the border?I gathered you haven't even gone there for a visit.Would the culprits from 6 years ago be still operating?Probably dead or in jail but I guess if you don't know you don't want to take that chance.Would you move back there if it was safe or just a visit?Im glad you are safe where you are.Im gathering from reading on this blog that many immigrants are not economic immigrants but true refugees running for their lives no matter what the US government says.So sad.When will they consider Mexico a war zone?The authorities down there are allowing this.It only seems to be getting worse.

Just curious Jack,are you male or female?and if you don't want to answer I will respect that.