A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

redlogarythm
The Gonzalez Valencia started investing in South America at some point during the 2000´s. They had already developed contacts in Colombia and Bolivia with cocaine traffickers who where their providers when they were known as the Milenio Cartel. Nevertheless, I don´t know exactly at what moment they started channeling their assets to South America. Taking into account that Colombian providers tend to use the Black Peso Market Exchange (BMPE) as payment mechanism and this method requires developing contacts with local businessmen I´m tempted to venture that by 2003 (the year of the approximation to the Sinaloa Federation) they had businesses in Colombia, Bolivia or Peru. But this is pure speculation.
The first time people of the Gonzalez Valencia clan were spotted in South America (at least officially) is 2009. On March 10th that year a Chevrolet Astra was involved in a minor car accident in the city of Buenos Aires (Argentina). Inside the car were three Mexican citizens: Francisco Marzio Medina González, Pedro Merced Medina Lizarraga and Julio Cesar Alegre Ortega. When the police of the Prefectura arrived and tried to identify the three Mexicans they started yelling and doing threats: In my country you would be dead already, said one of them to the policemen. After taking note of the plates the Mexicans left the scene.  When arriving at the police station the cops discovered that the Chevrolet Astra used by the three foreigners was registered to an Argentinian citizen by the name of Oscar Gilberto Calvete, who lived in the town of Ituzaingo, in the conurbation of the big capital. This stupid incident would turn out to be the beginning of a story implicating several local strawmen, some Mexican money launderers and the attempt of founding a network of 24/7 money laundromats.
There are reports about Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia (the 2nd in command in Los Cuinis structure) in Argentina by 2007. The only thing I´ve been able to discover is that a Mexican couple (possibly Hector Amaral Padilla and his wife, Gerardo´s parents in law and Wendy Dalaithy´s parents. Wendy Dalaithy was once the owner of W&G Arquitectos we must recall) appeared in Buenos Aires in 2008. They grabbed a taxi in Galerias Pacifico Avenue. In fact they entered in Marcelo Alejandro Aria´s taxi. After a bit of chatting they started using him as their driver through Buenos Aires and at some moment introduced Gerardo to him. They also enabled Marcelo Alejandro Arias to work for the same three Mexicans that would be involved in the 2009 crash incident.
They were the ones who involved Arias in the money laundering scheme they were starting to develop in Buenos Aires. After achieving enough trust the three Mexicans asked Arias to use his private domicile as the address of a company they were trying to fund in Argentina. This company´s name was Circulo Internacional SA. It was founded on December 4th 2009 and immediately enrolled in the Inspeccion General de Justicia (Argentina´s Commercial Register)
The corporate purpose according to the Register was Servicios de Bares y Confiterias (Pub and Candy Shop Services)
Aria´s cooperation with the Mexicans didn´t end there. Francisco Marzio asked him for buying a Chevrolet Astra (the one involved later in the accident), a Ford Ecosport and a mobile phone. According to his statement he agreed because the Mexicans didn´t have the required legal documents to do such purchases.
The first step into the laundering project was already prepared: a company registered in a private domicile belonging to a poor Argentinian taxi driver who had several assets at his name and which wouldn´t be easily linked to any of the Mexicans.
At this point the Mexicans (by orders of Gerardo) started planning their next investment. Which could be done in order to launder large amounts of cash in a very large city? A city very known for its restaurants, bars and cafés? What about opening any? And if instead of opening a single bar, restaurant or café they built a shop that at the same time was a bar, a restaurant and a café? This was, in my opinion, how they ended up developing their most valuable asset in Argentina; a pricey 24/7 convenience store. Its name: Corner, mi lugar (Corner, my place)
When a criminal organization uses a company or legal entity as a money laundering front most of the times it follows the same path: the business isn´t very big, its located in a quiet place, it´s a single locale and it usually tries to attract the least possible attention. Thus, if things go wrong the business can shut down quickly and move to other place in order to conduct new businesses.
This pattern is extremely opposed to the kind of business that the Gonzalez Valencia tried to establish in Buenos Aires. There are several reasons for concluding that their laundering front was aiming an incredible expansion in just a couple of years. Here are some of them:
- Corner´s first shop initial investment reached US$2,500,000 (for just one shop)
- Corner´s portfolio comprised more than 2,000 products (national and international) including fine wines, beers, spirits, delicatessen, dairy, fine coffees, salads, bakery, ready meals, candy, newspapers/magazines, cigarettes, parfums and cleaning items
- The shop was located at Puerto Madero (one of the capital most expensive areas)
- Coffee machines offering Juan Valdez Coffee (the most famous Colombian one, Corner was the first shop to offer it in Argentina)
- Corner accepted foreign currency
- They hired Miller Zell, an Argentinian public relations company in order to develop a brand a create social awareness
- They created social media profiles for Corner, Mi Lugar in Facebook and Twitter and had even a slogan: A kiosk is too small for eating. A supermarket is too big for daily shopping.
The first Corner shop opened at Dam nº 4, Pierina Dialesi nº 260 (just at Buenos Aires´ port shore) on September the 8th 2009. Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia planned to expand by 2010 (in just one year) to four neighborhoods: Barrio Norte, Microcentro, Congreso and Palermo. As a manager the designated Argentinian businessman Oscar Gilberto Calvete (the one who owned the Chevrolet Astra bought by Arias for the scheme´s members) As he stated later Calvete had known Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia in Mexico where he had a Consultancy firm.
As we can appreciate from the images, Corner was specifically designed for expansion through the hole city of Buenos Aires. We will never know under which kind of business structure Los Cuinis wanted to develop their Argentinian structure (a franchise, a brand chain…)

The system built by Los Cuinis in order to channel money through Corner was quite simple. Circulo Internacional SA had opened three different corporate accounts at Santander Rio Bank, a subsidiary of Banco Santander, the very famous Spanish bank owned by the Botin dynasty, which has a huge presence in Latin America. These three corporate accounts received two kinds of deposits/entries: cash deposits and bank drafts. Now we enter again in the speculation fields since I haven´t been able to find any more info about what happened inside the Circulo Internacional SA accounts at the Santander Rio bank.
The cash deposits made into the accounts could represent the money channeled through the Corner shop. Since this shop was a cash intensive business which accepted even foreign currency (such as dollars, for example) the flow of cash between Corner and Circulo Internacional SA´s accounts could be justified as legitimate profit (the amount, nevertheless should have been quite astonishing considering that Corner was only one shop and was a new business)
The issue relating bank drafts is far more interesting because it maybe have involved money coming from outer Argentina. We mustn´t confuse a wire transfer and a bank draft. If we want to make a wire transfer we must do it by transferring funds from account A to account B and thus the path of the money can be traced inversely, from account B to account A. If we have access to account A that means that it´s possible that our name or data appears related to it (because maybe I´m the owner or a person who has been granted access to it) Nevertheless a bank draft doesn´t require an A account. It enables to send money directly to Account B without the need of using a traceable first account. Imagine I´m a Los Cuinis operator in Guadalajara. I want to send $US50,000 to Circulo Internacional in Argentina but I want to do it directly, without using any of my already opened bank accounts in Mexican financial institution because I want the money to be literally untraceable. All I need to do is to gather 25 people, give them $2,000 each (since it was the maximum quantity Santander accepted for bank drafts) and tell them to go to several Santader offices around Guadalajara to make the drafts. They would show their ID card and notify the identity of the receiver (Circulo Internacional SA) They are not required to have an account in the Santander bank (if they do the draft doesn´t suffer a commission) and the process takes a few minutes. Circulo Internacional would receive in less than 24 hours the $50,000 (minus commission) and on the records it appears that 25 different Mexicans which didn´t have any kind of contact with Santander´s Bank Mexican subsidiary sent very little amounts of money to three accounts of a client of Santander´s subsidiary in Argentina. This kind of fractional payment system is called smurfing and although simple and slow is the best way to send money abroad with gaining attention.
Santander Bank used at the time of the events a subsidiary company called Santander Envíos SA which had developed a bank draft network system known as Santander Envíos which must has been the channel used by Circulo Internacional SA to receive drug-money from Los Cuinis network. In the end the whole scheme would look like this:

Through this simple methods Los Cuinis laundered a quantity between US$1,500,000 and 2,000,000. Considering that the opening of the first Corner shop cost nearly US$2,500,000 it´s obvious that they didn´t even recover the initial investment. That might be the reason for Gerardo´s departure to Uruguay. On July 9th 2012 he grabbed his wife and children (who were attending one of the most expensive private schools of Buenos Aires) and moved to this little Latin American country located between Argentina and Brazil.
The next part of the story has been more difficult to trace for one reason. Although most official institutions are reticent to label Uruguay as such, we must consider that this tiny country is in fact a Tax Heaven. Since the 1990´s it has placed itself as a paradise for money laundering for two reasons: first, it´s a country located near Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina, three countries that are drug trafficking and corruption hubs in the need of constant infrastructure for sending black money away (for which they use corporate vehicles founded in Uruguay) And second, Uruguay is adamant in its use of tax secrecy. Although the Government says always that since the 2016 new Tax Secrecy Law Uruguay is no more an opaque country in banking/tax/financial issue, it´s virtually impossible to obtain information about Uruguayan companies, businesses or people associated to them. That´s why the only way to research about Uruguayan firms is to use foreign sources, in these case Offshore Leaks, the official webpage containing approximately 200,000 documents related to the Panama Papers scandal which erupted back in 2015.
When they moved to Punta del Este (one of the most expensive cities in Uruguay) the couple formed by Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia and Wendy Dalaithy Amaral Arevalo had already developed ties with a Uruguayan  notary called Gianella Guarino Anfossi, which would be the most important contact for Los Cuinis in this tiny tax heaven.
Gianella Guarino Anfossi had constituted Asesores y Consultores del Sur Limitada (ASCONSUR) back in 2002. According to its foundation statements the initial capital for ASCONSUR was $30,000 (divided in 100 stocks of $300 each) and its corporate purpose was to provide professional, advice on legal, tax, accountant, financial, administrative, judicial. International private law, foreign commerce and re-domiciliation consultancy for national or foreign natural or legal people (in the European corporate law system a legal person can be defined as a legally conformed business) Even more importantly, ASCONSUR purpose was also the constitution and organization of commercial companies, outsourcing, viability and investment projects analysis and elaboration, development and commercialization of such services, intermediation in service providence and representation and business negotiation services.
This corporate purpose was developed in such a vague and wide mood for a reason. Most accountancy, legal or advisory firms working in tax heavens or offshore jurisdictions offer their products in a menu way. When the client meets the lawyer/accountant and explains to him the problems he is facing in his home country the professional will analyze his client´s problem and according to his particular situation he´ll offer him a personalized and unique package of products that if the client pays for will be designed and created by the lawyer/accountant. Such schemes involve multiple legal entities: shell banks, shell companies, strawmen (which are legal in such jurisdictions as we will see), trusts, foundations, etc… This kind of infrastructure is what is reflected in ANCOSUR´s foundation documents. Its purpose: to help its clients to benefit form Uruguay´s bank and tax secrecy law in order to avoid public scrutiny when managing their wealth.
On January 17th 2012 (before Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia and Wendy Dalaithy left Argentina) Veronica Corbo, an ASCONSUR´s employee, asked through an e-mail to Mossack Fonseca for a list of already pre-designed companies (including the transaction costs and related taxes)
Mossack Fonseca were (and still are) a Panamanian law firm which became internationally famous for its massive 2015 leak which implicated de publication of nearly 12 million documents related to the firm´s activities since the 1970´s. Since its very foundation in 1970 Mossack Fonseca had only one purpose: the constitution and storage of offshore corporate vehicles (known as shell companies) In the offshore world corporate law is extremely opaque and permissive in its regulations. Most offshore jurisdictions allow and even promote the constitution of companies that do not render any kind of corporate tax. Thus, the capital (money, real estate property, yachts, planes, cars, etc) introduced in this societies is virtually exempted from paying any kind of tax. This companies do not carry out any kind of economic activity, they just hold assets for preventing tax payments. This system, although oversimplified for space reasons, is also stimulated by the fact that the data concerning the stakeholders, assets or location of the company are obscured by the tax/corporate secrecy legislation of tax heavens.
All Mossack Fonseca did was to create literally thousands of this companies, branding them with generic and doubtful names and to add them to an inactive corporate list which was offer as a restaurant menu to law and accountancy firms all over the globe who selected some of them for their own clients. Once a certain company was selected the legal issues and tax payments were quickly arranged between Mossack Fonseca (who added a commission for them) and the accountancy/law firm (the intermediary) which then handed the society to its client.

This is the official relation of ASCONSUR purchases to Mossack Fonseca (although it´s no complete) Between its foundation in 2002 and the year of the leak (2015) ASCONSUR purchased at least 27 offshore companies to Mossack Fonseca. The places were the societies were located are three tax heavens very famous for its opacity: Panama, BVI (British Virgin Islands) and Wyoming (the US has at least three States acting as virtual tax heavens: Wyoming, Nevada and Delaware) Interestingly enough the only company located in Wyoming bought by ASCONSUR, Lotrade International, was owned by Paola Martina Guarino Anfossi, one of Gianella´s (ASCONSUR´s owner) sisters. Curiously the only reference about Paola Martina I could obtain is a reference to her job a few years ago. She was an importer of products (cars according to the internet) Where did she import from? Mexico. I will make no further comments about this issue.
Here´s a node diagram representing the offshore companies bought by ASCONSUR to Mossack Fonseca, at least officially:

On that very day (January 17th 2012) between a list containing 10 names ASCONSUR chose Montella Global SA a on January 26th Gianella Guarino Anfossi sent an email to Mossack Fonseca encouraging them to speed the constitution process because Montella Global SA was going to be used for the purchase of real estate property in Punta del Este (Uruguay) and we have to have arranged the legal issues by the Uruguayan consulate by February 10th.
Mossack Fonseca didn´t reply to Guarino´s email and on February the 6th she insisted. The next day Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia obtained in Mexico a fake passport under which he would justify his ownerships of Panamanian offshore companies which would own assets in Uruguay. This assets turned out to be a luxury villa in the city of Punta del Este used by the couple and their kids as residence. The place was called Quincho Grande.

The Quincho Grande Estate

In December, Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia and Wendy Dalaithy started doing plans for expanding to Panama. We must recall that they owned a Panamanian shell company which owned the big real estate property where they were living in Uruguay, but they didn´t own any kind of asset in Panama directly. They asked their Uruguayan legal counselor Guarino Anfossi if Montella Global SA was enabled for the acquisition of assets in Panama. On July 3rd 2013, Mossack Fonseca sent to ANCOSUR a relation of seven possible names for their clients´ new company: Seaside Company, Vani Business, Amanecer Enterprises, Tarima Holding, Delirio Business, Clarisse Company and Deltodo Enterprises.
On November 10th 2013 Valeria Martino, officer in chief for Foreign Services of ANCOSUR sent Mossack Fonseca this email: we´ll proceed to the purchase of Deltodo Enterprises SA, Panamanian jurisdiction, through the following procedure: apostilled agreement, directory hired by Mossack Fonseca and granting of power to Wendy Dalaithy Amaral Arevalo and Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia, which needs to be apostilled. The directory of an offshore company isn´t like the one of a normal business. In non-offshore jurisdictions the board of directors, administrators and the rest of legal personnel of a company must be involved in their company´s issues. In offshore jurisdictions the directories are purely procedural. In fact firms such as Mossack Fonseca have a list of several hundreds of people worldwide (housewives, retired people, unemployed and even their one employees) used as nominal directors of the companies they found.
On December 16th 2014 Cecilia Bonino, from ASCONSUR, communicated to MF their clients´ decision to dissolve Deltodo Enterprises SA. On December 18th the couple changed their minds and conditioned the existence of Deltodo Enterprises to the fact that it could be the legal owner of a tequila international brand that would be registered and sold in the US, Russia and China. Now I take again the speculative role: what kind of tequila could be related to CJNG/Los Cuinis as a long-term investment? The answer: Onze Black tequila.

Back in 2013 El Mencho´s daughter, Jessica Johanna Oseguera, founded Onze Black tequila as a brand specifically aimed to export. During its very first and only two years of existence Onze Black could be bought only in Mexico and through specialized retailers (mainly for parties or palenques), but as much of Los Cuinis investments Onze Black wasn´t a coarse and simple laundering front. Through this product they tried to create a new line of money laundering operation that would use a fully developed asset as a front. They even created facebook and twitter profiles for Onze Black Tequila.

The business life of Onze Black wasn´t too long anyway. On September 2015 the OFAC designated it all along with other four entities used by Los Cunis network for laundering CJNG´s profits: las Flores Cabanas (a vacation cabin rental business), Mizu Sushi Lounge (a sushi restaurant in Puerto Vallarta), J&P Advertising and JJGON S.P.R. de R.L de Capital Variable (an agricultural Business) Immediately after being designated the official distributors of Onze Black ceased to offer it through their retail channels and the once flamboyant CJNG´s asset appeared to everyone as it truly was; a product used by a criminal organization to launder its ill-gotten gains.
My opinion is that Deltodo Enterprises was created specifically with the aim of owning the legal and commercial rights for the products Los Cuinis created for laundering CJNG´s profits. Onze Black wasn’t a company itself. It only was a product/brand that was owned by a certain company as one of its assets. This company, I suppose, would have been Deltodo Enterprises if the OFAC hadn´t disrupted the plan by indicting Onze Black.
Just one month before designating Onze Black, on August 2015, the OFAC listed 15 companies linked to Los Cuinis´ network in Jalisco and Sinaloa. Among them we must remember were four related businesses: Hotelito Desconocido, W&G Arquitectos, Arenas de Loreto and HD Collection. All of them had been founded or acquired at some point by Wendy Dalaithy Amaral Arevalo (Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia´s wife) or by one of her strawmen. The effect of an OFAC designation has a terrible effect on the person/business designated. The designated individual/business is immediately incorporated to the OFAC list which is consulted by financial and legal institution each time a client makes a money transfer or wants to become involved in certain transactions. The virtual effect of an OFAC designation is a total financial isolation of the designated individual.

OFAC designation of Onze Black Tequila as CJNG/Los Cuinis laundering front.

After being designated on August 2015 Wendy Dalaithy couldn´t appear as the legal owner of any company that wanted to perform any kind of business. The ownership of Gerardo´s and Wendy´s assets should change because otherwise their corporate vehicles would end permanently linked to her designated figure (Gerardo wasn´t and still is not designated by the OFAC)
At this point we must introduce a third person in the story: Hector Amaral Padilla, Wendy Dalaithy´s father and Gerardo´s father-in-law. Hector had already been used by Los Cunis in the foundation of W&G Arquitectos (the legal owner of Hotelito Desconocido) When Wendy Dalaithy was designated by the OFAC she and her husband turned to ACONSUR and through its mediation they transferred their stocks/participations in Deltodo Enterprises and Montella Global SA to Hector Amaral.
When ASCONSUR bought the two companies to Mossack Fonseca it asked for the stocks of these companies to be designed as bearer shares. What does this mean? A stock represents the ownership of a certain part of a company. Every single stock bust be owned by somebody and there are two ways of determining the ownership of a stock. First; the owner can appear with its name and surname in each of the stocks he/she owns. This kind of stocks are called nominal stocks since the owner is designated nominally. Second; the owner can be the one who literally owns the stock, which doesn´t have any reference about the it in his/her possession.
Of course, one of the main products offshore jurisdictions offer is bearer stocks because they assure the owner´s anonymity. All the owner needs is a safe place to keep them safe and hand them over in the right moment to demonstrate his/her ownership.
Here are the node-diagrams of Montella Global SA and Deltodo Enterprises:

In the case of Montella Global SA until 2015 the shareholders were to anonymous bearers (of course Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia and Wendy Dalaithy) These to unknown bearer shareholders transferred their ownership to Hector Amaral Padilla on October 30th 2015. From this day onwards the legal owner of Montella Global SA was only Hector Amaral (Wendy´s father)
The case of Deltodo Enterprises is a bit more complicated and we´ll need some basic corporate legal system knowledge to analyze it. On July 10th 2013 the company´s shareholders were nominated as bearers. Nevertheless, at some point in time in 2013 Wendy Dalaithy and Gerardo were nominated as beneficiaries. This is a very common practice in offshore jurisdictions/tax heavens. The legal owners of a company appear to be to anonymous bearer shareholders. They are the legal owners of the company, but the profits or the assets held by the company must render their profits to one or more beneficiaries which are fully designated. In the end the beneficiaries (the ones who enjoy the profits/assets of the company) turn out to be the bearer shareholders, but by protecting their identity behind bearer shares they are protected in the case of lawsuit against the company alleging they were not the owners but just the people enjoying the fruits of the company´s assets or businesses. This was the situation until October 30th 2015. On that very day the two mysterious and anonymous bearer shareholders handed over their shares to Hector Amaral, who on the same day became the owner of two offshore companies in Panama: Deltodo Enterprises SA and Montella global SA. According to the Panama Papers documents the couple had asked ASCONSUR on October 26th for the transfer of ownership to Wendy Dalaithy´s father.
During their stay in Uruguay Wendy Dalaithy and Gerardo founded two more companies. This time they were purely Uruguayan and I can´t assure if ASCONSUR was the intermediator in its constitution but all the hypothesis point in that direction. The two companies were called Tossa del Mar SA and Dalaithy SA(created on July 29th 2011) In Tossa del Mar SA Wendy Dalaithy featured as Apoderada (attorney) and she was the director of Dalaithy SA. These two companies were used for buying Uruguayan assets. As far as I know they were:
- 1 Audi Q7 TFSI ($130,000)
- 1 Audi A4
- 1 Volkswagen Saveiro pickup
- 1 Land Rover pickup
- 3 plots in Punta Ballenas for $550,000 through Tossa Del Mar SA
The vehicles were sold to Dalaithy SA by a Uruguayan couple that should later be arrested for money laundering support charges. One of the most chilling things about Wendy Dalaithy Amaral during her stay in Uruguay was the fact that she owned a bank account. After Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia was captured in 2016 one of the main reasons for being kept in jail without bail was the fact that he didn´t own any kind of bank account. He spent tons of money without being able to justify where this money came from. Nevertheless, his wife did hold an account were she recevieved money in order to use it in the transactions of the Uruguayan companies she owned. At which bank did Wendy Dalaithy hold her account? At HSBC Uruguay. I think everyone in this Forum has already heared about the multibillion fee imposed on HSBC Holdings by the US Justice Department after deliberately laundering hundreds of millions of dollars for the Sinaloa and the Norte del Valle Cartels. By the time Wendy Dalaithy held her bank account at HSBC Uruguay she had been designated by the OFAC and supposedly couldn´t be the client of such an institution.
During this years Wendy Dalaithy and Gerardo became friends of a Uruguayan businessmen identified only as P.G. who acted as a mediator between the Mexicans and several potential buyers for the assets that the couple owned through their Uruguayan companies. It was this man the one used by the Mexicans as the strawman for changing dollars for pesos and vice versa in the well-known Casa de Cambio (Money Exchange Business) Monex in Piriapolis city. The so called P.G. would meet with Gerardo in Montevideo. There the Mexican would hand him a bag filled with dollars and instructed him to go to Monex, change the dollars for pesos and then hand them over Hector Padilla, Gerardo´s father in law, who at the time was also living with the couple in the Quincho Grande estate. Using a local for exchanging dirty cash in CDCs is a common practice by Latin American criminal organizations since the anti-money laundering controls of the type of businesses are deliberately low in order to allow money laundering.
The Mexicans´ scheme ended up gaining enough attention to activate the alarms. The Uruguayan police started following P.G. and recorded the money exchanges and the handing of the pesos to Hector Amaral. The judge Adriana de los Santos ordered a raid and on April 2016 the police captured 11 members of the network (including Gerardo Gonzalez Valencia, Wendy Dalaithy and Hector Amaral) Most of them await trial in jail and Gerardo´s extradition to the US was granted in 2017, although he remains in a Uruguayan goal until this day.
In the end the hole Panama-Uruguay network could have worked in this way.

In conclusion, I would like to say just as I did in my previous post that this scheme, although more complex that the ones discovered so far in Mexico, must be only a tiny fraction of Los Cuinis´ assets. The fact that Wendy Dalaithy and Gerardo Gonzalez appeared as beneficiaries when not directly shareholders of the companies in Panama and Uruguay suggests that the assets channeled through these companies were their own property, not CJNG´s. I think that the network in Argentina was in fact one big laundering front of Los Cuinis that Gerardo wasn´t able to stablish. The international tequila business that the couple tried to manage through Deltodo Enterprises SA could have been another front project but in this case it couldn´t even start as a business. No one will probably ever know how many international fronts Los Cuinis have developed since the use of strawmen and offshore jurisdictions (of which the Panama Papers info is just a tiny fraction) makes it virtually impossible to track this kind of assets. Nevertheless the building of offshore fronts thorugh companies located in one country, owning assets in a second one and marketing international brands in a third, fourth or fifth one suggests and incredible degree of expertise by Los Cuinis. These people must be advised by some very specialized and qualified proffesionals (accountants, economists, lawyers, notaries, etc) people such as Guarino Anfossi or Mossack Fonseca. Until the day such people are prosecuted as Los Cuinis are, making no distinction between both groups, we can´t be sure that the tequila, the coffee or the chips we´re buying in our neighborhood shop is not funding the bloodshed in Mexico.

Cuidaos todos, amigos/as.

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

redlogarythm
MM

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

MM
Great research.  Very interesting read.  It is clear that you put a lot of work in this and it shows.  It is also helpful that you identify which parts are speculation vs established.  I am guessing that English is not your first language.  Your research and composition of the article (in a second language) inspires me to take my informal study of Spanish more seriously.

Thanks for producing this.  It helps people like me better understand the landscape.

I think you are correct in assuming that much of this activity is personal money not necessarily CJNG funds.
MX

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

MX
Incredible report! Thanks for posting.

Their store in Puerto Madero is no longer there, but Los Cuinis reaching there is a big deal and shows us the level of reach these guys can achieve. Puerto Madero is by far one of the most exclusive barrios of Argentina. I've asked several Argentines I know if they had heard of the clan or the case, but none of them recalled it.

I have other names for your research. Last year the Argentine government issued an arrest warrant against four Mexicans tied to Los Cuinis: Francisco Marzio Medina González, Pedro Merced Medina Lizarraga, Julio César Alegre Ortega and Rodrigo Lepe Uribe.

Great job again.

https://www.cij.gov.ar/nota-35381-Informe-del-Juzgado-Federal-en-lo-Criminal-y-Correccional-n.--3-de-Mor-n-en-causa--Gonz-lez-Valencia--Gerardo-y-otros-s--Inf.-Art.-303-del-C.P.-.html

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

Frank
Great read, fantastic research and effort. I too appreciate you specifying your hypothesis versus sourced material. Thanks for your post, Ima re-read both and look forward to the next chapter. Cheers!

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

Interesting MX that those mouthy Mexicans in the beginning of the story in the minor fender bender they one's that said to the cops if this was Mexico they'd be dead also got nailed!Leave it to you to find the criminal's whereabouts even years later.

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

redlogarythm
Thank you guys for your interest and answers, for me it´s a pleasure to share this info with people that truely appreciate it and find it useful. MM you´re right my friend. English isn´t my mother tongue. I had to learn it by my own and that´s the cause of the common syntaxis or expression errors. After this posts I´ll take a break but I´ll be back with something about the Zetas accountancy/ML operations (some of them in Mexico and some even in Europe)
Cuidaos todos, amigos/as
MX

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

MX
Be safe friend. We look forward to your posts.

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

Amazing job, Redlogarythm!

BB has certainly become more interesting lately with people adding deep research to the table. I always wanted to go after finances, and here you are, one report after the other. I love reading it.

Re: A journey into CJNG´s finances (second part)

Frank
Just re-read this study. Absolutely fantastic work. Outstanding effort. I have a better understanding of shell companies and the processes by which they are used to facilitate the crime that makes the criminal world keep spinning. money laundering.

Muy apreciado mi amigo