9000 DRUG CARTEL OPERATIVES IN JUAREZ..BUT "JULI" Says results by Dec-Will be easier than TJ!

9000 DRUG CARTEL OPERATIVES IN JUAREZ..BUT "JULI" Says results by Dec-Will be easier than TJ!

Note from Buela...upper right foto is Carlos Manuela Salas Atty Gen Chihuahua, 2nd foto is former Colombian president Alvaro Uribe.  Uribe has been active in Mexico speaking on security issues and violence in Colombia...Also noteworth, the increase in detentions have no value, what would be impressive is increased arrest w/charges and convictions.  Mexico's conviction rate is 2%, All talk, no action..  and I added a breaking story from Juli...I made his foto huge because I love it.  I harbor a not so secret crush of Julian......................he said this; "I faced one of the most violent and persistent cartels (in Tijuana) ... why should I tremble when someone mentions the Zetas? It's them that should tremble," jajajaja..I love the guy..even with his inflated confidence.  Read more below
The Chihuahua prosecutor general said Tuesday that within the Juárez region, more than 9,000 drug cartel operatives are active.

It is the first time a Mexican official has quantified the warring drug cartel organizations' membership.

Carlos Manuel Salas, the state¹s chief prosecutor, provided the figures and other information in a statement after a meeting between Chihuahua officials and business leaders and ex-Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, who was invited to Juárez to discuss security issues.

Salas said Chihuahua officials have rejected the manner in which Juárez has become stigmatized by being called the most violent city in the world. "What happened is that the cartels entered into a conflict and then organized crime began

to get involved in common crimes. What happened when we confronted this is that the Juárez cartel, which then had 500 people who controlled (their operations) throughout the state, added 5,000 gang members to its force," Duarte said, "and they brought weapons from the United States and began to fight the Sinaloa cartel that got hold of other gangs. In less than 60 days, this (Sinaloa) group had 4,000 armed members, and this is the challenge that the governor was faced with, but we are working each day to restore the peace to our state." Several cities and other geographical regions in Mexico that are considered drug-trafficking corridors are identified with drug cartels. These include Juárez, Tijuana, Sinaloa and the Gulf of Mexico. Colombia had the so-called Medellin and Cali cartels.

Chihuahua Gov. Cesar Duarte said he invited Uribe to share his experiences in fighting the cartels in Colombia.

"The first time I met President Uribe, he told me that we should not permit a city to bear a cartel¹s name because it would give the city a bad name and it would be very hard to get rid of the stigma," Duarte said.

Salas said law officials have reported a 500 percent increase in detentions over the past eight months, and that 150 people alone were detained in the act of breaking the law.

Source; Diana Washington----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THIS FROM JULIAN LEYZAOLA

The new police chief in Mexico's deadliest city says bringing crime down and cleaning up the police force should be much easier than it was in Tijuana, where he spent three years as the top cop.

Julian Leyzaola, 51, took the Juarez job in March, and he predicted during an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday that residents will begin seeing results in six months.

He said that what he learned in calming Tijuana will help him do the same faster in this city across the border from El Paso, Texas. With more than 3,100 homicides last year, Juarez is one of the deadliest cities in the Western Hemisphere.

Leyzaola, a retired army lieutenant colonel, has started a purge of the police ranks. So far, 160 officers have either quit, been fired or arrested, and he predicted that a total of 400 officers will be dismissed this year.

His pacification strategy for the city includes taking over one neighborhood at a time with overwhelming police force to drive out criminals.

"We will harass them. They will see us everywhere, even in their soup," Leyzaola said. "When there is a murder, it won't be one unit that responds, there will be 30."

He is not promising the arrest of high-profile drug kingpins. At least not now. Police will first hit the criminal organizations' structures, and then the bosses will fall, he said.

The strategy proved successful in Tijuana where he managed to curb violence and restore a sense of calm in the sprawling city across the border from San Diego, California.

In Tijuana, Leyzaola also was targeted with accusations that he was responsible for torturing detainees, among them police officers suspected of corruption.

On Tuesday, he repeated his denial of involvement in torture. He called torture unacceptable and said that "when authority is involved in torture, it's no different from criminals."

Some people in Tijuana have argued the crime reduction in that city was more a result of the arrest of one druglord and a purported truce between the two remaining cartels than of Leyzaola's policing approach. Others questioned whether police ignored some gangs while driving out other criminal organizations.

Juarez's new chief insisted he did not favor any crime group and said those who think striking a deal with gangs will bring peace are mistaken.

"You can never control a criminal. They will always want more," he said.

Leyzaola has a reputation for talking tough and he offered a warning to the criminals of Juarez.

"I faced one of the most violent and persistent cartels (in Tijuana) ... why should I tremble when someone mentions the Zetas? It's them that should tremble," he said, referring to a Mexican drug gang noted for its brutality and ruthlessness.

His strategy could already be working. The number of homicides has fallen for three straight months in Juarez, but Leyzaola said people shouldn't expect to see signs of progress until year's end.

Re: 9000 DRUG CARTEL OPERATIVES IN JUAREZ..BUT "JULI" Says results by Dec-Will be easier than TJ!

drattler
This police chief in Juarez seems like the real deal, I like his attitude,wish there were 100 more like him. Great quote "the Zs should be afraid of him" Thats what I like to see in all Mexican citizens.

Re: 9000 DRUG CARTEL OPERATIVES IN JUAREZ..BUT "JULI" Says results by Dec-Will be easier than TJ!

el Spaceio
God Bless Julian Leyzaola
~~~ I believe in equal rights for every Honest Person on this Planet regardless of Race or Money ~~~

favorite quote "helping to better the lives of others is the greatest of all achievements" http://www.feinsteinfoundation.org/

my email is lostowl@lycos.com

Viva the Law!!!

Re: 9000 DRUG CARTEL OPERATIVES IN JUAREZ..BUT "JULI" Says results by Dec-Will be easier than TJ!

DRattler..Amen..I feel the same.  My friend I have a question.  Have you been messed with in a fashion at your ranch by the last letter, or any other lowlife?

Spaceio...Juli believes in equal rights of others...he hates all cartels equally and any other element that is distructive to Mexico and has no regard for law or people. That means your precious CDG, which he would destroy on sight.