300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled in Cancun and Quintana Roo due to violence and hurricane

300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled in Cancun and Quintana Roo due to violence and hurricane

stevectpa
This post was updated on .
http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/10/u-s-warning-impacts-the-tourist-influx-to-cancun/

October 13, 2017

U.S. travel warning impacts the tourist influx to Cancun

As a result of the recent rise in crime and homicides, 300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled….

CANCUN — Irene Prado, sales manager of Secrets Silversands from the hotel chain A & M Resorts, said that the decline in occupancy started on July 31, when the news about the US government warning became known. Although there have also been other factors, mainly the threat of hurricanes, it has been the travel alert that has most damaged the arrival of visitors this year, Prado said.

One of the major travel wholesale agencies, Apple Leisure Group, reports a fall in levels of up to 53% for August and September 2018, equivalent to about 300 thousand visitors who will not be visiting destinations like Cancun and the Riviera Maya.

The updating of the travel alert was launched by the US State Department on August 22 of this year, because of the shootings that reached downtown Cancun and the murders in tourist areas in the Riviera Maya. For 2017 through October 11, 135 executions were registered, according to the State Attorney General’s Office.

The downturn in reservations is occurring mainly in the incentive group market, that is to say, those trips which American companies award to their employees, as well as in weddings and honeymoons.

(Apple Leisure Group is an international tour operator, as well as hotel group with a presence of 20 thousand rooms in Mexico and the Caribbean. It forecasts a decrease of 40% in tourism for 2018.)

The problem stems from the fact that the killings are happening in the main tourist destinations of the northern zone of Quintana Roo, in zones where tourists travel and stay. As a result, the United States updated its travel alert recommending its citizens take certain precautions if traveling to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum and Cozumel, among other Mexican destinations.

According to Abelardo Vara Rivera, hotel entrepreneur, things are now stabilizing, after hurricanes and earthquakes, coupled with recommendations to be cautious about insecurity, which caused a drop in the influx of tourism.

Re: 300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled in Cancun and Quintana Roo due to violence and hurricane

Maybe now Mexican Government will take stock instead of sweeping things under the rug and actually do something to prevent criminal activity.After all the goose that lays the golden eggs (tourism) is about to be butchered.

Re: 300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled in Cancun and Quintana Roo due to violence and hurricane

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
canadiana wrote
Maybe now Mexican Government will take stock instead of sweeping things under the rug and actually do something to prevent criminal activity.After all the goose that lays the golden eggs (tourism) is about to be butchered.
IMHO, Mexico has been hard at work strangling its golden goose for generations.  What you are seeing  now is just the latest signs of Mexico's cannibalistic or suicidal imperative.  I think the corrupt and oligarchic "Mexican government" is a problem in and of itself.   Mexico seems compelled to eat its own just to fatten its stupid blind head.

Acapulco, was a tourism golden goose for eons and it was finally killed some 10 to 20 years ago due mainly to narco-violence.  It seems logical , to me, that Cancun and Riviera Maya are likely to follow  because the signs are now dramatically (stage 3) showing to the "general" public.   The veil has been spread aside,  and it is Santa Muerte.

 I recently met an American woman who had a thriving real estate business in Puerto Vallarta for years.  She said she had become a positive factor in Puerto Vallarta's civic life. Well, corruption, vice, violence, and narco problems grew so bad that she finally had to flee in fear for her life... losing many valued Mexican friends and her hard earned assets.  She suggested that her experiences were probably occurring in other Mexican tourist venues.

I am positive (from what I have learned from Borderland Beat, books, videos, etc) that Mexico is too far gone to save without a horrific violent revolution.  I am convinced that Mexico has a systemic disease wherein all of its organs are compromised ... kind of like a systemic "autoimmune" disease.

The symptoms of this autoimmune disease can be seen in virtually all Mexican institutions , such as: government bodies,  law enforcement, judicial, prison, labor, unions, education, military, commerce, industry, health, journalism, TV, racism against  oppressed "Indios", and even the Catholic Church is symptomatic.

Another important symptom of the problem is evident "in" the Mexican people themselves who point all of the above issues out .... like in many of the comments Mexicans make after BB articles here*.  It can also be seen in the millions of Mexicans who have literally fled to the USA because of the above problems.

So, in closing, I think that Mexico's tourism golden goose is already seriously moribund and now on life support.**

I welcome comments and feedback from BB readers refuting my grim perspective  of  the tourism Golden Goose.   ***

Mexico-Watcher

* I always read the "Comments section" at the end of BB articles because  they often include Mexican citizens' "grounded" data and insights that ring true and sincere about the problem issues identified here.  These comments may often be crude but they come from the trenches where the named evils abound.

 ** I am a pessimistic cynic about Mexico for many reasons and therefore tend to see Mexico through shit smeared glasses.

*** I recently saw a video on the precipitous drop off in tourism to Egypt  due to Islamic terrorism.  Egypt now laments the 40% or more drop off in tourism and the people are hurting real bad!  People are safety conscious and wont go where they could die.  Listen up Mexico, look at Acapulco and Egypt!

Below is a picture of the Boca del Rio, Vera Cruz  massacre of sept 2011.  Incidents like this spook tourism away.  Enough of this kind of thing and serious economic and other consequences follow.

Boca del Rio Massacre

Re: 300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled in Cancun and Quintana Roo due to violence and hurricane

Tully
I agree with everything you said, M-W.

A recent foto of 3 executed young men (20, 19 and 15 years old) in Coyuca de Benítez, GRO, just up the coast from Acapulco:

Re: 300,000 hotel reservations reportedly have been cancelled in Cancun and Quintana Roo due to violence and hurricane

This is more of the same but has added info including Cabo.This is from today's National Post,1 of Canada's national newspapers.http://nationalpost.com/travel/from-cancun-to-los-cabos-tourists-scared-off-mexicos-beaches