17 pounds of heroin (and 1 lb of gray death) seized in South Carolina interstate bust

17 pounds of heroin (and 1 lb of gray death) seized in South Carolina interstate bust

stevectpa
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/08/17-pounds-heroin-seized-in-south-carolina-interstate-bust.html

By Fox Carolina Published July 08, 2017

Greenville County Sheriff Will Lewis said 17.5 pounds of heroin were seized on the interstate after a traffic stop for failure to maintain lane. The wholesale value of the drugs is estimated at more than $500,000.  (Greenville County Sheriff's Office via Fox Carolina)

One of the most dangerous drugs on the streets is among more than a dozen pounds of narcotics Greenville County, South Carolina deputies found being transported on the interstate.

Sheriff Will Lewis held a press conference at 2:30 p.m. on Friday to discuss busts made by the county's new interdiction team. Since February the four-deputy team has been working full-time to seize illegal drugs, guns, stolen cars and traveling fugitives on the county's interstates.

Last week, Lewis said in four different traffic stops, the team seized more than 17 pounds of heroin, over a pound of "gray death," 220 grams of methamphetamine and three ounces of marijuana.

Greenville County Sheriff Will Lewis said 1.2 pounds of carfentanil, also known as "gray death," was seized from a bus on the interstate. The wholesale value is more than $40,000.

Sheriff Will Lewis held a press conference at 2:30 p.m. on Friday to discuss busts made by the county's new interdiction team. Since February the four-deputy team has been working full-time to seize illegal drugs, guns, stolen cars and traveling fugitives on the county's interstates.

Last week, Lewis said in four different traffic stops, the team seized more than 17 pounds of heroin, over a pound of "gray death," 220 grams of methamphetamine and three ounces of marijuana.

Gray death, a nickname for a drug cocktail often made of fentanyl and the buffalo tranquilizer carfentanil, can be cut with heroin. The mixture, which Lewis described as looking like concrete mix, is extremely lethal and can be deadly through skin contact.

Lewis said 0.2 milligrams of gray death can kill. The drug was located after a K-9 alerted on a bus which was stopped.

He said deputies risk accidental exposure to the deadly substance during traffic stops and in order to prevent exposure, a laser scanner is used to test gray death.

"People just don't even know about this yet," Lewis said. "The word is not even out."

He also said they are working with veterinarians to determine how to protect K-9 units from exposure, saying the department would never knowingly put a K-9 in contact with a fentanyl-based substance.

The heroin seized was found after a traffic stop for failure to maintain lane. Lewis described the amount as "California numbers" and said the quantity is not something seen often in the state.

"It's almost unfathomable," Lewis said. "I've never heard - in my entire time in narcotics, my entire time in the DEA task force - I've never heard of a 17 and a half pound seizure in South Carolina, ever."

The wholesale value of the drugs is estimated at more than $545,000. Street value can be up to 70 percent higher.

Re: 17 pounds of heroin (and 1 lb of gray death) seized in South Carolina interstate bust

Anasazi
Buffalo tranquilizer? Wow. I'd never heard of carfentanil, so I researched it a bit.

An aerosol version of the drug was used by Russian military in the 2002 Moscow theater crisis where Chechen militants took Russians hostage. A former Assistant US Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Defense Programs from 2009 to 2014 considers it a weapon of mass destruction, because it could be deployed to kill large groups of people due to its high toxicity.

Fentanyl and carfentanil both originate in China. Carfentanil was completely unregulated in China until this year. Importation to the U.S. is restricted but pretty much unregulated in Mexico. I think most of this stuff is probably coming into Pacific ports like Lazaro Cardenas and moved north by the cartels already moving heroin.