14 bodies found in mass grave in Mexican resort of Los Cabos

14 bodies found in mass grave in Mexican resort of Los Cabos

stevectpa
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/09/14-bodies-found-in-mass-grave-in-mexican-resort-los-cabos.html

The murder rate has surged in Baja California Sur in the past three years.  (Reuters)

The bodies of 11 men and three women were found in a mass grave near the tourist resort of San Jose del Cabo on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula, where violence between rival drug gangs has surged.

Authorities are running DNA tests from the bones in an attempt to identify the remains that were discovered on Tuesday and Wednesday, the Baja California Sur state prosecutors office said in a statement.

A forensic team was still looking for more remains on Thursday.

The murder rate has surged in Baja California Sur in the past three years due to a spike in violence in the municipality of Los Cabos, which includes the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

The number of murders in the first four months of the year increased more than five times from the same period last year to 144, according to government data.

Mass graves, some with hundreds of bodies, have been discovered around Mexico in the states that have been hardest hit by drug violence, such as Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Morelos and Guerrero.

Some 30,000 people have disappeared in Mexico since drug violence increased sharply around 2007. More than 150,000 have been killed since then, when former president Felipe Calderon sent the army out to battle drug gangs.

Re: 14 bodies found in mass grave in Mexican resort of Los Cabos

BajaCheryl
Things have calmed down here a lot since April.  Its been like the Cabo we grew up in.  Maybe its bevause they threw the other cartel into the hole!

Re: 14 bodies found in mass grave in Mexican resort of Los Cabos

Thanks for your input Cheryl from someone on the ground!That's good news to hear!Sounds like the bodies are 'old' from back a bit.Seems to be most of the trouble in San Jose Del Cabo rather than Cabo San Lucas.

Re: 14 bodies found in mass grave in Mexican resort of Los Cabos

BajaCheryl
I live right downtown in the historic center.   I'm in tourisn but because of my responsabilities to my clients, misreporting would loose me my business. I work with corporate security companies so if I misrepresent, i loose credibilty.  This year, many security teams cam edown prior to a groups a arrival and gave the thumbs up for travel.  In Marvh I was really worried because even though just two incidents had occured in the downtown area, what was happening in the less fortunate neighborhoods seemed to have no end.  Then, in April just around Spring break things got so quiet it was eerie.  When you are used to hearing anout shootings every day and then suddenly it backs off, its certainly welcome but you wonder why.  Then the Gendarmaria came and so many troops, and a lot have stayed.  I heard its supposed to stop soon, but to be honest aside for yhe 18 bodies it had already improved 1000%.  The bodies were buried by a guard gate out to the remote East Cape area.  I feel bad for the guards as they had to have been coerced.  They were taken away.  A friend has their dogs and another is looking for Blanca and William Levy, their cats.