13 CORPSES-4 HEADS IN DURANGO CITY& Qs..re:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

13 CORPSES-4 HEADS IN DURANGO CITY& Qs..re:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

13 Corpses and Four Heads Found in Durango City...Questions about Suspect in Sicilia Case...Chivis Escareño-Martinez

If your housekeeper calls early AM excitedly reporting a Skype call from her cousin saying there were 15 bodies found in a home near hers in Durango City last night...if you get such a call then you know your life has crossed the line into Narco-Sphere.  This happen to me this morning but I found nothing on it until later in the day.  One thing for sure social networks and internet and Skype or VOIP has changed the way information and reporting is conducted globally.  Amada's family lives in Durango and Zacatecas, her destination for Christmas and 4 weeks in summer every year, until 2 years ago.  The new US Citizen has placed security for her family ahead of her hearts desire to see her extended family.  Little is mentioned much about Zacatecas or Durango but plenty of violence occurrs there.  Refer to the chart to the right, it was released in 2010 but still gives an accurate overview of two things..where the violence is/murder rate and where it is not..including the safest states and lowest per capita rates.  Baja California is divided into two halves: BC is Baja or Baja California, think TJ-Playa Rosartio-Ensenada and suffers from violence.  The lower is Baja California Sur, think Cabo San Lucas..and for all intents and purpose free of violence.

Below is the report of the bodies found today.  The other issue of the report is the huge suspicions regarding the arrest of Rodrigo Elizalde Mora.  On Thursday the arrest of the suspect and fingered as the killer of poet Javier Sicilia's son, murdered just a few short weeks ago.  As in the case of ICE agent Zapata's murder, those knowledgeable of Mexico know an arrest of high profile cases too quickly usually indicate some suspicions are warranted.  Zapatas case has rendered so many arrests I have lost count.  I mean really Mexico...how many bad guys were at that blockade?    Any murder bringing high profile negative press Mexico sets out to "solve" quickly and get the story off media outlets.  Surely they feel the heat with Sicilia's new hero status as he has taken the initiative to construct a revolt against violence in such short time.  One could bet an arrest was just around the corner.  Troubling is the perp walk of Rodrigo, brusied and beaten pretty badly...a sure indicator his confession was coaxed a bit?  My centavos betting yes....

from press release:

13 bodies, 4 heads found in house Mexican state of Durango Ten complete bodies, three headless bodies and four severed heads were found when authorities dug up a pit in a house in the Mexican state of Durango, authorities said Friday.
Authorities are determining whether some of the heads belonged to the bodies. The badly decayed corpses _ which have not yet been identified _ were taken to a morgue for autopsies, the Durango state prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Durango has been the scene of a bloody turf battle between the Sinaloa Cartel and the Zetas gang. The grisly discovery comes as mass graves with dozens of bodies have been discovered in the northern state of Tamaulipas, where the Zetas are fighting the Gulf Cartel.
Also Friday, Mexico's army announced that it had captured a man who allegedly confessed to participating in the killing of a well-known poet's son and six other people.
The March 28 slaying of Juan Francisco Sicilia, the son of poet Javier Sicilia, sparked demonstrations throughout the country against the violence of Mexico's drug war, which has claimed more than 34,000 lives.
But the circumstances of the arrest in the high-profile case immediately drew suspicions.
The army said suspect Rodrigo Elizalde Mora was captured Thursday in the central city of Cuernavaca, where the killings occurred.
He confessed to working for the South Pacific Cartel, led by reputed drug lord Hector Beltran Leyva, and to helping kill Sicilia and a group of friends, according to the army statement.
But Elizalde Mora appeared before reporters badly beaten, and said he had been kidnapped by four unidentified men in a sport utility vehicle, who then apparently turned him over to authorities.

links & full story:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/latinamerica/7524013.html

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/04/15/remains-17-murder-victims-northern-mexico/

http://www.newser.com/article/d9mkd1n00/13-bodies-4-heads-found-in-house-mexican-state-of-durango.html

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

queremos-paz
heard it first here!  was it a grave or house?

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

queremos-paz
or both?

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

it was both.

the story I got from my source on the scene is authorities were called to the home from reports of suspicious activity.  WHen they got there they decided to look around and saw areas that they decided to dig.

this was actually on Thursday.  I heard about it yesterday AM and could not find one story on it so I did not want to post.  later I saw the three articles.

I have not been able to access one photo though my source says the state had a photog on site snapping away.  there are no photos as of yet realeased.

But I though the chart was even more relevant.

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

queremos-paz
i couldn't find any either.

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

well I will be on the look out and promise that I will never use stock photos only those directly from the story.

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

ArmChairIntellect
Thank you Buela for doing all this leg work you do for for us, you just just ask to become a BB reporter..  I do have another question however,  you say this is only affecting 1/3 of Mexico but it seems like more.  Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like this is in most states and involves most the country.  Surely, I agree with you, its much worse in the states you mentioned about 1/3 of the country but the rest still has its moments.  Don't you agree this is far more systemic than just a few states?

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

Thank you I do appreciate your words it encourages me to dig deeper and always be as accurate as I can.  I really don't think the regular board is for me.  I don't want to have to report, I want to WANT to report.  and on the main board I have to be nice...jaja..just kidding but I can't have good dialog and personal interaction with interested folks like your self.  That way if I am able to I can answer questions the post did not answer.

I can't argue against what you are saying it seems greater but if one studies the map even if there is violence in other states it usually is a spill over from an adjoining state but usually confined to a small border area.  What the chart reflect is not ALL states with violence only those with the greatest and the least.  The dinamics have changed some such as Tamps and NL, but for the most part if it is not an attractive or important route to traffic drugs or humans or whatever they have no interest.  It is a business bottom line.

Still, every respectable source says the over whelming majority of Mexican states are free of or nearly free of this horrific violence.

I see some changes coming..for example my state of Coahuila relatively free of violence for a border state, yes we have Torreon but I see violence ahead, already has began in Saltillo.  Controlled by Zetas but is a prime territory, a border state massive in sq miles many isolated ranches sitting ready for the picking, etc.  they are surrounded by states with great violence; durango, NL, Tamps, zacatecas and Chihuahua.Here is a map of states ..you can see where I am.  I can no longer drive to NL or even Saltillo, it is not safe in my opinion.

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

ChrisGrSr
I, too, want to thank you for your help in my understanding as to what's happening in Mexico.  I'm far removed from the situation but have some interest as I was raised in Del Rio and still have many friends there and some kin in Eagle Pass.  I had heard that Cd. Acuña, (it was Villa Acuña in my time) or at least close had some problems several months ago, and folks are telling me that Cd. Acuña is virtually closed down, business-wise.  Anything that you could add for me?  I have one friend with whom I went to school ('56) who works on a couple of ranches around Monterrey, and he doesn't mention anything other than it's the U.S.'s fault because of the weapons and the drug sales.  Sadly, I didn't attempt to learn the language while I was there and am trying to get my oldest son (54) to help me with Rosetta Stone.

Thanks for any information that you can provide and pardon me for coming out of my "lurking" mode.....

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

We need people to come from the shadows, because YOU are the reason I post, I want to answer questions that I am able to and give information to people that are interested.

Acuña-Del Rio:  I love these two cities, they have the nicest, greatest people in the world which is a good thing since it is no CABO!  JAJAJA...

Del rio there has been no violence at all, it still is the safe little town it always has been, World Class Bass fishermen and espn still flock to Amistad Lake during bass season, but the motels which usually are packed M-F with businessmen going to the Maquilla's in Acuña now sit half empty.  Because of rumors of violence and the slow down of a year ago.  Business is now booming at the maquillas but the motels never quite recovered.  People are scared.  As for the maquillas they have a problem of employee shortages as many citizens went back to veracruz or wherever they are from during the slow down.  Del Rio still is safe IMO because of the high population of USBP, Laughlin Air Force personnel and police.  It is a pretty conservative town and no crime to speak of.

Acuña..has remained relatively and surprisingly safe and free of violence for a border town smack on a viable drug route.  Zetas still rule, and yes there was that explosion of violence last spring.  SInaloa came to town so to speak, killings, kidnappings arson, for one week then poof!  gone.  aside from a couple of weekends of mass car-jackings it has been quiet.  during the surge of violence the local zocalo did not even run the story of the chief of police being killed.  I did not know if I should laugh or cry...finally 4 days later or so it did, but very low key and not much mention of narcos if at all.  Acuña has been hard hit by tourism so declined.  That is attributed to the rumors of violence and not to the reality that there has not been much.  Laughlin has banned air force personnel form crossing into Acuña.  My good friend was a former first lady of the area her husband the presidente, they come from a prestigious old money family.  They own many businesses on Bravo and other main streets and for a year she tells me their businesses have taken a huge hit 50-75% decline.  Even the big events such as the running of the bulls and the motor cycle event have had a huge decline and this effected the small businesses that relied on the 5 or 6 big events per year to bring in most their revenue.  SO there has been closures and some cutting of hours or days, that sort of thing.  I am not sure if Crosby's is gone but it was being killed.  and Manuels is under new ownership...the family did build a really awesome Manuels in Del Rio.

Even the movie industry has cut back.  People don't realize many movies are made in Acuña/del rio I love spotting familar spots...like crosbys for the shoot out in EL MARIACHI, and the area by Armistad where LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE was flimed and recently the bridge, hospital and motel for NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN which filmed both acuna and DR. KILL BILl and desperado are others.

Sorry I went on so much...much bottom line..Acuña is safe, it may not remain safe but for now it is.  if you plan a visit just ask Buela and I will give you the latest.  remember just to safeguard against danger by remaining vigilent to your surroundings, don't drive a pick up or SUV or any year model, don't become intoxicated etc  just logical stuff and stop in at the POE BP office and ask if in doubt. and I would say stay on the del rio side at night. I would give the ok to my family and friends visiting acunaas for music remember BLAME T ON MEXICO by George strait about Acuña-del rio and Crosbys or ZZ Tops MEXICAN BLACKBIRD about coming from TX to meet a "lady of the night " in Acuña.

Thanks for making me remember how interesting Acuña is...below an excerpt from a NPR article last spring
'No Business, No Nothing'

Hundreds of miles downstream, the Mexican city of Ciudad Acuna sits across the river from Del Rio, Texas. In the incandescent August heat, a cab driver waits for a fare.

"Look in the street, nothing. No business, no nothing," he says.  His taxi is parked in front of what used to be the most popular bar and restaurant in town: Mrs. Crosby's, also founded in the 1920s.

Acuna is not a war zone like Juarez, but it's not the sleepy town it used to be. In May, after a state police commander was murdered, reportedly by mafia hit men, the Del Rio police chief urged people to stay out of Mexico. They have.
Crosby's co-owner, Gabriel Ramos, a 62-year-old architect, says he can't go on indefinitely paying his 22 employees out of his pocket.

"We have 87 years here, and something like this has never, ever happened. You can see," he says to a reporter who is his only customer.

How much longer can he survive? "I don't know. I think one more month, two more months. No more," he says.

Mrs. Crosby's is like a museum. The place still has the original floor tile and barstools. The walls are hung with pictures of Mexican revolutionaries, bullfighters and its namesake, Mrs. Garza Crosby. George Strait even mentions the establishment in a song lyric: "In a bar in Acuna called Ma Crosby's, I found myself not feeling any pain."

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

ChrisGrSr

I certainly appreciate your reply.....I go back every few years but haven't been across for at least 10 years....We used to eat at Mrs. Crosby's during WWII.....Always loved her!!  She was such a sweetheart!!  ..... Too many years ago, I guess.  Landos and La Macarena back then.  Pat McCormick, the lady bullfighter.... The Old Toltec.....  God!!  SO very many years ago!!

Thanks so much for the information.  I would have to get a passport now and would more than likely be disappointed as what's left of my mind would be clouded by memories and the nostalgia.

Still, it's so terrible to see what's happened in  Mexico these last several years.  One certainly hopes that it improves soon, for Mexico's sake!!

Thanks again!

ChrisGrSr

To start a new topic under Borderland Beat, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Borderland Beat, click here.

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

drtexas
Buela,

       My family still resides in Del Rio and they still go to Acuna to visit the doctor or dentist occasionally. My dad says that it is really quiet, no violence, no nothing. There have been a few incidents where people have been busted with firearms, money, etc. but they have been caught on the Del Rio side. I will be visiting Del Rio during the summer and I will update everyone on the forum. There are rumors of why there is no violence in Acuna, some say the Zetas are in charge and have everything under control (whatever that means) but who knows?

~La Negra

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

buggs
Administrator
Information such as this could be the forums "take over" of BB,

but we are really trying not to allow it to be taken over by the trolls who could run it to the ground!

Remains to be seen, a lot of info on the ground!
Borderland Beat

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

They have excellent denitsts in Acuña!  I went to one about 18 mos back..a persistant problem with a crown and my dentist in SoCal the high priced newport beach dentist wanted to put an implant and the acuna dentist shook her head, she had no personality but I wasn't there for a new friend.  Long story short she said all i needed was a longer post be 50%...I honestly thought she was wrong.  turns out she was 100% correct and the charge was 30 dollars.  I got a new dentist in cali  also.

as for Del Rio..BB mainboard had the stories of the violence last spring.  and I saw the news of the del rio busts of weapons a couple mos back, I believe BB had that also, I can't remember.  I hate to say this but I am shcoked they catch anything no one ever has stopped me.  Or at Laredo or Eagle pass.  just go on thru.

But it is safe.  Piedras is one place I cannot recommend it is too unpredictable

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

Re: 13-corpses-4 heads-Durango& Qs RE:Sicilia Murder Suspect-real/convenient..Arrest?

I tried to delete my posts.  I guess I don't recognize nice words today.  Sorry Buggs.
I was shaking in my Buela boots thinking I did something wrong!  what a moron I am.
JAJAJAJA